vCash

Interview With Karen Preston

Had the opportunity to do an interview w/ 2 time Canadian National Champion & Albertville Olympian Karen Preston last night. An absolute sweetheart. Find out what she has to say about the current state of Canadian skating, who she thinks will take home the gold in Sochi and what she's up to these days:

http://www.facebook.com/SkateGuard
    http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca

vCash
    Nice interview! I always liked her skating

vCash
    ^Same here, thought she paid attention to detail and was always enjoyable to watch. What was her SP in the 1992-1993 season? I haven't been able to find it on youtube and I'm curious after her comment that she "finally got to be who [she] really was on the ice" with that program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    ^Same here, thought she paid attention to detail and was always enjoyable to watch. What was her SP in the 1992-1993 season? I haven't been able to find it on youtube and I'm curious after her comment that she "finally got to be who [she] really was on the ice" with that program.
    I think it might have been "The Seaboy Blues" - she used that at the 1995 Canadian Pros as her TP and it was definitely constructed like an ISU eligible SP. Don't quote me on that though.

vCash
    That's awesome that she has gone back to school to finish her degree. Good for her!
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That's awesome that she has gone back to school to finish her degree. Good for her!
    Thanks! I'm glad we got to see her as Snow White in Disney on Ice, too!

vCash
    Interesting to note, before Patrick Chan, Karen was one of Osborne Colson's last students to win a Canadian national title (1989).

What Karen brought up in the interview pretty much confirms what people suspected during the mid 1990s as it applied to pro competitions and its invitees:

Many of the events were invite only, and run by a sports agency that I was not a client of. I think that in the "golden days", post Kurt Browning, professional events could have been better attended and skating could have had a longer "golden era" if a more diverse group of skaters had been asked to participate.

vCash
    I really think she brought a lot to the table. Too bad her choreography was so horrible. Her shorts were pretty good, but her longs were low grade, especially in 1992 (looked like a juvenile program) and also in 1994.

Someone I know met her a few years ago and spoke to her. She commented that it took her a long time to get over placing 3rd at 94 nats and not going to Lillehammer. I think technically she beat Humphries but her skate was anything but fast and spirited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Someone I know met her a few years ago and spoke to her. She commented that it took her a long time to get over placing 3rd at 94 nats and not going to Lillehammer. I think technically she beat Humphries but her skate was anything but fast and spirited.
    That was one of the most hard to watch performances for me, ever. And I don't mean because it was bad, because it wasn't. It was just that as she finished skating you could tell from her body language that she knew she had done well but not well enough. I really felt for her.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins