Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    YEAH!
    vCash
    That's beautiful... not at all what comes to mind when I think "acrobatics"... thanks for posting.

vCash
    no problem, this was more cirque acro and those two were in cirque de soleil for a while

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    pani -- you are a tease! :-D more, more, more -- I want to see MORE!!! Roar! BTW, speaking of roar, did Scott roar at the beginning of this dance or was that a World's only feature?
    Haha I was listening for it at the Halifax show, but he didn't do it!!

I love the pic of them hugging in the tunnel, so typical!! haha
    Last edited by ceg15; 04-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.

vCash
    Thank you for the links, pani, Shayii, and PEZazzz (that was some crazy adagio lifting--I loved it!).

Quote Originally Posted by lola10 View Post
    [...]

Is anyone attending the show in Kingston? To everyone going: have a lot of fun and enjoy the great show!

And selfishly, could you please give reports (and maybe even take pictures or videos) for everyone who cannot go or have huge oceans in-between. I am dying to see the numbers Virtue and Moir are in! Thank you in advance!
    I am so excited to both see the show and meet the lovely clarie! She has on-ice seats, so I can't wait to hear her impressions of the show! I will try to add any details I can recall

vCash
    A little detail I noticed. Even though Tessa and Scott changed their orginal carmen spins to something more familiar, it is still very different. For example, in FF he is carressing her face http://images.lpcdn.ca/641x427/20111...scott-moir.jpg in Mahler his hand is on her back: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/T...hTmq9Z_PGx.jpg and in Carmen it looks like he is choking her:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/c...ry/8113591.jpg so yeah he is still pretty much in character. All these little details keep in theme with the dance.

vCash
    Yes, I am excited to see SOI tonight in Kingston and meeting up with Bournekratzfan before the show and after for a coffee and discussion. I'm not very good at details but she is so expect a nice review from her. My review will probably be short and sweet.......not so good at tiny details. From pics I've seen, I love the costuming this year.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Enjoy the show and get together Clarie and BKfan.
    BK fan is just fabulous when it comes to her details, isnt she.
    Iggie is up there with her descriptions and perceptions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Yes, I am excited to see SOI tonight in Kingston and meeting up with Bournekratzfan before the show and after for a coffee and discussion. I'm not very good at details but she is so expect a nice review from her. My review will probably be short and sweet.......not so good at tiny details. From pics I've seen, I love the costuming this year.
    Have a greta evening! You are lucky to have VM fans meeting
    Hope you have a reat time!

vCash
    Enjoy the show!! It would be AMAZING if either of you could video the beginning of Stay..have been dying to see the opening to it! But, most importantly, ENJOY!

vCash
    For some reason I was thinking you guys will be at the Toronto show. Anyways I really hope you guys have a blast and can't wait to read your review.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZazzz View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted here before but this hand to hand acro routine might a source of inspiration for V/M lifts, the new lift in stay and the rotational in carmen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGq4k8RMe9o
    So they are still working with Cirque du Soleil? I wonder if the new lift they did in Stay was suppose to be in Carmen but they took it out.

vCash
    It doesn't look like a lift that would suit the Carmen they skated.

vCash
    Aw, thank you so much for the kind words and wishes, clarie, Emdee, pani, Shayii, and HSGP21 (nice to see you posting again). clarie is so knowledgeable about music and dance, so I can't wait to hear her impressions. I will report back with anything i can remember, but i will warn you that V&M's skating tends to leave me speechless! It might take a while for me to collect my thoughts. I will see if i can find my camera.

vCash
    First all, Bournekraatzfan and Clarie enjoy the show and already thank you so much for the report, I am sure it will be great (the show and the report).

Then, I watched some of Jean Marc Genereux choreography and I think he is a great choice for Virtue and Moir. It seems he tries to combine modern elements with traditional transition. The Finnstep is very ballroom-like so it could fit nicely in a ballroom SD with some modern elements to make it more unique. He could bring out their dancing abilities and chemistry since he tries to make his dancers to perform with each other rather than for the audience. Does that make any sense?
    Actually, I like his choreography, even the music is not as cheesy as I expected.

The Finnstep derives from a Quickstep routine by Susanna Rahkamo and Petri Kokko: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0xMDwr9HU

vCash
    So which team do you think the Finnstep favors as the OD. I hate to admit it might be Davis and White. They in general don't have as deep edge quality as Virtue and Moir and seem to prefer quicker lighter steps in general. It is a very hard dance though. I am expecting a lot of mistakes in the GP series from many dance teams.

vCash
    Ultimately, I think Virtue and Moir will have the edge. It is similar to the Samba SD, for me, they were one of the few teams who actually were able to incorporate the Samba into a coherent LATIN DANCE program. Most teams did some modern Disco performance. I think they are able to do a DANCE instead of some cheesy performance to a modern pop song. Concerning the Finnstep, you need speed but they have it and having the right timing as well as lines is more important than the speed. Which counts is being able to change your speed to the rhythm while holding the line as well as staying close to your partner and that is definitely one of their strengths. Something people complained about their SD last season is that it does not carry the Polka feeling or celebrates the Polka, well here they could make a Finnstep feast. They are true dancers and that is a dancy pattern. (Maybe talking up the joy of a Finnstep publicly helps as well)

Here is a helpful analysis by ice-dance.com: http://www.ice-dance.com/main/techni...tions/finnstep

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    So which team do you think the Finnstep favors as the OD. I hate to admit it might be Davis and White. They in general don't have as deep edge quality as Virtue and Moir and seem to prefer quicker lighter steps in general.
    I am not so sure. I think that it's also a dance that requires the kind of elegance that Davis/White don't quite have. On the other hand, elegance can only help with PCS and probably GOE a little (at least it should, which doesn't mean that it will), but not with levels.

P.S.: lola10 explained it better. Of course, she is right - it's not just elegance per se.

YEAH!
    vCash
    One thing that's important in a quickstep is a great topline. The lower body does the work while the upper body remains still. V&M have excellent posture and they skate close together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    So which team do you think the Finnstep favors as the OD. I hate to admit it might be Davis and White. They in general don't have as deep edge quality as Virtue and Moir and seem to prefer quicker lighter steps in general. It is a very hard dance though. I am expecting a lot of mistakes in the GP series from many dance teams.
    That wasn't the case in 2009 when they first performed it. V/M beat them even with mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    One thing that's important in a quickstep is a great topline. The lower body does the work while the upper body remains still. V&M have excellent posture and they skate close together.
    That was my thought as well. I think it favours them:

http://www.ice-dance.com/main/techni...tions/finnstep

It requires very crisp and tidy timing as well as footwork. The timing is the most important characteristic of the dance and lack of crisp and clean timing and character, should be penalized
    severely. The accent should always be at the beginning of the beat – not just on the beat. By skating the steps at the beginning of the beat, the couple achieves the required lightness. This dance measures the musicality of the couples.

The posture should be very upright, almost stiff throughout the dance. It is essential to skate the longer steps with strong, well rounded, deep edges to contrast with the crisp light steps, toe steps and hops (small jumps without rotation) found throughout the dance! Just skating the steps is not enough. It is how the steps are executed and what is “said and expressed” with the technique that is important, not the technique in itself. The technique is only a tool for expression which must be strong!
    That has V&M written all over it.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast