Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

vCash
    Angie did "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word" better than most singing show contestants - it can be so karaoke, but it was the only one of hers that I kind of liked. I actually liked Kree's "Perfect" because she really connected with the lyrics & I absolutely loved her 2nd song. I didn't love Candice's "One" because Mary J sings it so well so hers didn't compare well, but I did like her other 2 songs. I would say Kree or Candice won the night, both by singing & by their total packages. Angie is the only AI contestant I have ever seen who didn't cry at her homecoming so she is the hardest for me to identify with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Angie is the only AI contestant I have ever seen who didn't cry at her homecoming so she is the hardest for me to identify with.
    But....she did cry. That was the final shot of the video package.

Meh -- hated "Somewhere" -- not Candice's fault, the sound was compressed all to hell, and although I bet it sounded good in the studio, compression and recorded vocals do not play nicely together. And no, Jimmy, she did not "put her own soul" into the arrangement, but instead sang Barbara's from 1986. Sheesh.

vCash
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Weren't there rumors of a big announcement to come on AI? The way the rumor was written was that it would be some announcement done on air before the end of the season. I wonder if that is still going to happen at some point? Maybe the rumors stemmed from what you posted, Kruss. I doubt those things would be announced on air but I could see how the rumor mill got going.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    My thoughts on tonight:

Kree – Perfect – A perfectly horrible song choice. It made absolutely no sense to give her this song. I think Jimmy was sabotaging her. But, if he wasn’t, then the one good benefit of Kree going home this week is that he likely will have nothing to do with her album.

Candice – One Love – I thought it was a good song choice for her, though she could have done a little bit better with it.

Angie – Sorry -I expected this to be a very good song choice for her, but I thought her performance was a mostly sleepy version with a lot of the emotion stripped out of it. Being shrill towards the end is not the same as emoting. This was my least favorite of her songs.

Candice – “Next to Me” – I thought this was a very good choice to show Candice being “current.”

Angie – Try – (They weren’t even subtle with all the Boston stuff, were they?) – Meh. I thought this was fine, but karaoke. She’s inevitably going to pale in comparison to Pink.

Kree – I don’t like this song and I think they could have chosen a much better country song for her, but she did well with it. I wish they had given her a bluesy song.

Angie – Maybe – This song choice made sense for her. I thought it was her best performance. I just don’t like her voice and the way she so often sounds shrill to me. I’m never going to really like any of her performances.

Kree – Better Dig Two – Bad song choice. She never would have chosen this song. I think they gave it to her because The Band Perry is performing next week -- and because it's not a good song for her. Kree really did get screwed with the song choices.

Candice – Somewhere – This song suited her voice, but I didn’t think her performance was as awesome as Jimmy and the judges made it out to be. This was not one of the best performances in Idol history or even one of her best. I think the standing O was scripted. (But I still would like her to win. )

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    My favorite part of the night was the commercial with all the little white bunnies.

vCash
    I gave all my 50 online votes to Kree - that's like throwing money down a well but that's all the voting I do. I think that once again AI is backing the wrong contestant. If (when) Angie wins I predict she will be dropped by her label within a year. But without winning, I'm not sure about what Kree & Candice can do. Since winning is no guarantee of success, NOT winning is the kiss of death for most contestants. Kree is so well-connected that she may do ok. But I think that Candice really needs to win in order to get the push that the Idol winner starts out with. Or a killer 1st song.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Weren't there rumors of a big announcement to come on AI? The way the rumor was written was that it would be some announcement done on air before the end of the season. I wonder if that is still going to happen at some point? Maybe the rumors stemmed from what you posted, Kruss. I doubt those things would be announced on air but I could see how the rumor mill got going.
    I like the judges this year. I don't like the contestants. Overhaul for next year should be all contestants are good-looking males.

vCash
    I don't know if any amount of changes (if they actually go through with them) can save AI. The next season of AI will be very interesting with all of the proposed changes mentioned in that article. I am at the idea of getting rid of Nigel Lythgoe and the old school theme weeks (no more Bacharach week?? Yay! And I do think they need new judges. A few weeks ago I would have been in favor of saving Keith, because he seemed to judge what was on stage even if the other judges didn't agree. But now even he seems to be on script.

So what is causing the decline? I think the rise of The Voice is giving competition and producer manipulation is a big turn off.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Agree with Allskate. Kree got shafted BIG time tonight with the songs chosen for her. She sang them well so hope the fan voting keeps her in.

ETA: I mean, last night .. watched it back on DVR this morning.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

So what is causing the decline? I think the rise of The Voice is giving competition and producer manipulation is a big turn off.
    ita, people have ears and the pre scripted criticism turns people off
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Kree began the season like a "house afire"; but, has been less successful during the last few weeks, often due to the poor songs selected for her.
    Angie began slowly, has gained confidence; and is being "promoted" by the judges.

Candice has been consistent throughout the process; and often, outstanding.
    The judges can't really argue about her singing; so,they carp about things that have nothing to do with her ability.

I have no idea who will make the final, or win.
    I've been surprised too many times by the voters.

vCash
    I quit watching several weeks ago but check in here to see what's going on. Getting rid of these judges is great news. Wish they'd bring back Stephen Tyler & J-Lo as I really liked them & tho't they worked well with Randy. This year has been a joke & all because the producers tried to buck the trend of good looking male singers. I wonder if they will have sell out crowds for the tour this summer? Or maybe they'll cancel it, too!

vCash
    I didn't like Steven and Jennifer. Or Randy, for that matter.

I'd like to see a former contestant on the judging panel. I think Adam Lambert would be great, as would David Cook or maybe Melinda Doolittle (she's awesome with Michael Slezak).

Of course, all of this presumes they are allowed to actually judge and not handed a script.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I didn't like Steven and Jennifer. Or Randy, for that matter.

I'd like to see a former contestant on the judging panel. I think Adam Lambert would be great, as would David Cook or maybe Melinda Doolittle (she's awesome with Michael Slezak).

Of course, all of this presumes they are allowed to actually judge and not handed a script.
    I agree about Steven, Jennifer, and Randy.

Your presumption is unlikely to happen. The producers are far too manipulative. Also, I really like Melinda with Slezak, but I don't think she has it in her to be critical of the contestants to their faces. Even on twitter, and sometimes with Idology, she has a hard time being critical. Adam might be good, but I don't think they would hire him.

vCash
    I thought Angie was the best of the night overall. She was IMO the most diverse.

They all hit bad notes here and there.

Kree was shafted by terrible song choices but I don't think Candice's were much better. One was a bit stressed to me. The second song was OK. The last song was great but I have to admit I didn't like how she ended it. Angie got the best in terms of song choice.

I love all three and don't think anyone deserves to go home. I still am blown away by Candice's voice but have no idea what kind of artist she is or wants to be. I love Kree and would buy her album. I am not sure why people her don't like Angie. She seems sweet to me and I think she is a great singer. She does give off a pageant-y vibe but I honestly think that is who she really is. She is a giggly, theatrical theatre dork with a Christian bent. She needs to grow up a bit I suppose but she is only eighteen and hasn't endured what Kree or perhaps Candice have. Candice seems to me one of those people that was "born old."

I love Kree but I do think that sometimes emotionally she left it on the table. But I love her personality the most out of all the girls. It's a tough choice but I am pretty sure Angie is going to take it because I think she hits the right voting demo. None of them should go home tonight and I have no idea if it will be Candice or Kree. I think Kree but we will see. There hasn't been a shock elimination yet this season. I certainly don't count any of the boys. Some may have left sooner than they should have but they were all going no matter what.

vCash
    I don't think Angie will have a huge success if she is the winner. There are too many Angies out there, she will get lost. Like Jordin Sparks, Carly Rae, Miley, etc..

vCash
    ^^^
    I'm with you, numbers.

I believe that Candice has handled some questionable song choices made for her, very well.
    It sounded as though she may have been told to "edit" the last few bars of "Somewhere"; so that they would have time for their "highlight" packages.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 05-09-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: to add comment

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    based on what little we have heard of angie's original material and her church music niche, i think she could do quite well. maybe not underwood blockbuster well, but more so than colton who is working in that genre.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I don't think Angie will have a huge success if she is the winner. There are too many Angies out there, she will get lost. Like Jordin Sparks, Carly Rae, Miley, etc..
    The jury isn't out yet on Carly Rae or Miley so I don't think those are apt comparisons. Carly Rae had one of the biggest hit songs last year and Miley hasn't put too much new music out. Jordin I agree hasn't had much success but then so a lot of winners haven't. And a lot of non-winners have. Also I think Angie is a better singer then any of those girls, even Jordin Sparks. And quite frankly I'd give Angie a way better shot a big success then Candice. No one can deny Candice is the best singer by far. But that isn't always what does well. Or sells.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast