Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I've never thought that Angie came across as very genuine, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt with the whole Boston thing and the bombing. My real issue with her is that she just never seems to really connect and she can get shrill. Her voice just isn't my cup of tea.
    My thoughts exactly. Who cares if Angie mentioned Boston? And so what if it is opportunistic? The entire show is a platform for opportunity. Some contestants are just better at appearing genuine. If given the opportunity to exploit something, they all would, believe me. Ever seen that movie "American Dreamz"? It's a parody of AI, for sure, but it gets the point across.

I never thought Angie had a super great voice or any emotional connection when she sings, but to each his/her own. Obviously lots of folks out there like her and are voting for her.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    My thoughts exactly. And so what if it is opportunistic? The entire show is a platform for opportunity. Some contestants are just better at appearing genuine. If given the opportunity to exploit something, they all would, believe me.
    Actually, I don't think all of them would exploit tragedy or difficulty. David Cook is the classic example. He seemed to bend over backward not to talk about his brother. I think Phillip Phillips could have exploited his health problems, but did his best to downplay them. I'd bet quite a bit of money that Kree was thinking of her parents' deaths when she sang that Carrie Underwood song last week -- she reportedly choked up with tears when she sang it during her hometown visit -- but she didn't even mention her parents on last week's show.

Others take the Gokey approach and milk everything.

But, I think that there's a very good chance that Angie really did take the news about the Boston harder than others because, even if she doesn't live in Boston itself, she has probably gone there many times and she had friends who were there that day.

vCash
    But, I think that there's a very good chance that Angie really did take the news about the Boston harder than others because, even if she doesn't live in Boston itself, she has probably gone there many times and she had friends who were there that day.
    Me too, I took the news hard, and I don't live in Boston. I just don't think it matters either way. Some people will believe Angie's intentions were pure (probably the ones who liked her to begin with), and others won't (probably the ones who weren't rooting her on to begin with). What does it matter whether Angie genuinely identifies herself with Boston? She's not running for office; she's trying to win a singing contest.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    What does it matter whether Angie genuinely identifies herself with Boston? She's not running for office; she's trying to win a singing contest.
    Right, it's supposedly a singing contest, which is why sob stories and ploys for sympathy are annoying. But, people rarely vote based purely on vocal ability anyway. American idol is about finding a pop-star, not necessarily the best vocalist...I'm simply not a fan of using sob stories to grab votes. Danny Gokey's sob stories annoyed me to no end and was a huge turn off. But with Angie, it seems more like the media/show is pushing it, not so much Angie herself. It's just a general pet peeve of mine when a show tries to manipulate a contestant (and in turn the viewers) to exaggerate certain aspects to gain votes "I'm an untrained singer!" or "I've never performed in front of a crowd before!" ect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    Right, it's supposedly a singing contest, which is why sob stories and ploys for sympathy are annoying. But, people rarely vote based purely on vocal ability anyway. American idol is about finding a pop-star, not necessarily the best vocalist...I'm simply not a fan of using sob stories to grab votes. Danny Gokey's sob stories annoyed me to no end and was a huge turn off. But with Angie, it seems more like the media/show is pushing it, not so much Angie herself. It's just a general pet peeve of mine when a show tries to manipulate a contestant (and in turn the viewers) to exaggerate certain aspects to gain votes "I'm an untrained singer!" or "I've never performed in front of a crowd before!" ect.
    this. Not the same thing but it annoyed me to no end when Sarah Hughes won the Olympics and people said stuff like "New York needed this." Uh no. New York would have survived if some 16 year old girl hadn't won in SLC>

vCash
    This is such a weird song choice for Kree. I thought she did pretty well, considering, but I don't think the judges will like it.

that somehow she is getting criticized for song choice.

Anyone else still watching?

vCash
    I thought Kree did a good job with this song, but it looks like the judges are going the damning with faint praise route again this week.

* I thought the same thing as Nicki about the boots!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

that somehow she is getting criticized for song choice.
    It's happened before that contestants were blamed for judges/producers song choices, and it was entirely predictable.

vCash
    It's happened before that contestants were blamed for judges/producers song choices, and it was entirely predictable.
    And utterly stupid.

Critiques for Kree are weird, as they have been for the last few weeks. They are not straightforward and leave me trying to decipher what the heck they're trying to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    And utterly stupid.

Critiques for Kree are weird, as they have been for the last few weeks. They are not straightforward and leave me trying to decipher what the heck they're trying to say.
    Perhaps they are trying to say that they have decided that they want an Angie/Candice finale.

vCash
    Perhaps they are trying to say that they have decided that they want an Angie/Candice finale.
    Well yes I think that's the obvious message. But I was trying to actually listen to the words they were saying and to make sense of them. I know it's an exercise in futility.

vCash
    Candice did an okay job there. I wasn't too crazy about the edit in that arrangement.

*No Nicki, that was nowhere near Mary's version.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

American Idol 2013: I Wish I Knew How To Quit You (Part Two)

They basically told Kree to enjoy tonight cause it is all over for her. The song choice said it, too.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    They basically told Kree to enjoy tonight cause it is all over for her. The song choice said it, too.
    And it's irritating. I hated it when they did it to past contestants (hello Haley Reinhart) and I hate it this season.

vCash
    As soon as I saw the spoiler for Perfect, I knew that they would say the song was wrong for Kree and be critical. The song choice made no sense. Kree probably knew what was going on as soon as she found out what the song was. Candice will close the show with a perfect song choice for her.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i still think the biggest FU from the producers/judges on top 3 night was when clay had to sing vincent.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Is Angie actually connecting with a song and thinking about the lyrics?

I wonder if Kree tried to fight about the song choice? Kelly Clarkson told them NO when she got her song choice from...I think it was Randy. She flat out said NO. I don't even remember the song choice now but she ended up getting another choice and it was Mariah Carey's Without You and it was a good choice that fit her. I wonder whether Kree tried to fight it or if she was turned down or if she just didn't even try.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Angie did a lovely job. So far, however, none of the girls have done anything spectacular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    Angie did a lovely job. So far, however, none of the girls have done anything spectacular.
    Agreed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I wonder if Kree tried to fight about the song choice? Kelly Clarkson told them NO when she got her song choice from...I think it was Randy. She flat out said NO. I don't even remember the song choice now but she ended up getting another choice and it was Mariah Carey's Without You and it was a good choice that fit her. I wonder whether Kree tried to fight it or if she was turned down or if she just didn't even try.
    Kree doesn't strike me as the type that would fight it. She seems to be a people pleaser. But, who knows. We just see little clips of these people. I don't think it would have mattered if she had tried to fight it. They have their plans.

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast