Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Is it true that this year there is no contestant's choice?
    I read that there's a "judges choice," a producer's choice, and Jimmy's choice. No contestant's choice. I think this favors Angie. I'm waiting for the judges to pick Ring Around the Rosie and for Nicki to respond by saying that Kree isn't even worthy of being in the competition, Mariah to say that she wishes that Kree had stayed more within herself, and Keith to say that she should have gone around the rosie more. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, but I don't think the judges and producers really get or support who Kree and Candice are. Also, I think that, at this point, now that Amber is gone, they really want Angie to win.

I think Angie has pretty good shot at it. She not only has the support of the judges and producers, but she clearly has an ardent fan base. I don't think Angie is untalented, but she's generally left me pretty cold. But, there's no denying that she has lots of support. Plus, her hometown is Boston, so the hometown visit may provide more sympathy and support for her.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

American Idol 2013: I Wish I Knew How To Quit You (Part Two)

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I don't know how someone can be stellar but fail to impress you. I thought her first song Wed night was the best of round one. In round two she & Angie both sucked - but Standards are not her kind of song whereas Angie should have killed it. Instead Angie was bad karaoke. Of the 4, she is the only one whose voice I didn't really like. It's too high & shrill, & her goo-goo eyes turn me off.
    Am I using the word stellar wrong? What I meant is that she was still good but it was nothing that really made her stand out.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Have any former contestants ever spoken about the politics behind the scenes? It always feels to me like towards the end the contestants are aware of a hidden agenda that affects their confidence.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    Have any former contestants ever spoken about the politics behind the scenes? It always feels to me like towards the end the contestants are aware of a hidden agenda that affects their confidence.
    I'm sure that they have to sign confidentiality agreements. And even if they didn't, they are probably told to STFU about the backstage shenanigans or their careers will go nowhere. Yes, I'm getting paranoid and cynical in my dotage.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    ^ I don't think you are cynical cause I've always thought the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Am I using the word stellar wrong? What I meant is that she was still good but it was nothing that really made her stand out.
    Definition of STELLAR

a : of or relating to the stars : astral
    b : composed of stars
    2: of or relating to a theatrical or film star <stellar names>
    3 a : principal, leading <a stellar role>
    b : outstanding <a stellar performance>

I was assuming you meant the bolded definition so I didn't understand your statement.

The songs that are chosen should be interesting. You can always tell who they want to go home in 3rd place by the song selection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm sure that they have to sign confidentiality agreements. And even if they didn't, they are probably told to STFU about the backstage shenanigans or their careers will go nowhere. Yes, I'm getting paranoid and cynical in my dotage.
    I don't think you're being paranoid or cynical either. Ever since I heard from a true insider how ANTM worked, I could hardly take any reality show contest seriously.

Remember what it is. It is entertainment, first and foremost. Getting ratings is the No. 1 priority. Finding a "star" is incidental to making loads of money on a highly rated TV show.

O-

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post

Remember what it is. It is entertainment, first and foremost. Getting ratings is the No. 1 priority. Finding a "star" is incidental to making loads of money on a highly rated TV show.

O-
    ita, they have a script and all of the criticism of the singers is based on that. sometimes it fits the performance, often it doesnt.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    ita, they have a script and all of the criticism of the singers is based on that. sometimes it fits the performance, often it doesnt.
    I think they began taking this approach quite a few years ago but they forgot, or didn't realize, something very important along the way. If they continued, season after season, to miss out on finding a star then it COULD begin hurting the franchise. I think so many years of not finding a star is absolutely killing them. They are losing loyal viewers because of it. How many seasons now have I tuned in only to be completely over it by the end of the season (meaning, I don't watch) because they are more interested in keeping the sob story (insert other producer gimmick here) than the actual talent? Too many times. Phillip Phillips had a mega hit but he still isn't a star and I am not sure he will ever have another hit of that calibre (he can thank the Olympics for that, to be quite honest).
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think they began taking this approach quite a few years ago but they forgot, or didn't realize, something very important along the way. If they continued, season after season, to miss out on finding a star then it COULD begin hurting the franchise. I think so many years of not finding a star is absolutely killing them. They are losing loyal viewers because of it.
    I absolutely agree with this. If Justin G had beat Kelly Clarkson just because he was a white guy (with or without guitar) the franchise probably wouldn't have survived for a season 2. But then there was a HUGE buzz over the finale between Clay & Ruben (I wasn't watching then but I heard about it) - 2 very unlikely teen "idols". Could that happen now? Could Fantasia still win?

How many seasons now have I tuned in only to be completely over it by the end of the season (meaning, I don't watch) because they are more interested in keeping the sob story (insert other producer gimmick here) than the actual talent? Too many times. Phillip Phillips had a mega hit but he still isn't a star and I am not sure he will ever have another hit of that calibre (he can thank the Olympics for that, to be quite honest).
    I started getting disenchanted in season 5 when Taylor Hicks won but I thought it was just a matter of taste but then in season 6 when Blake Lewis beat out Melinda Doolittle when she had killed every genre all season & he could barely sing, I started doubting that this show had the ability to find & develop talent. (Although I love David Cook & Phil Phillips.)

But you may be wrong about P2 - the fact that his 1st single was such a huge megahit has garnered a lot of fans who will probably continue to buy his music, as long as it's good. I like his 2nd single - I think his studio voice is MUCH better than his live voice was on the show. Plus he was sick while he was on the show so maybe it really is better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    ^ I don't think you are cynical cause I've always thought the same thing.
    Isn't sad when a reality show isn't really real at all?

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I don't think you're being paranoid or cynical either. Ever since I heard from a true insider how ANTM worked, I could hardly take any reality show contest seriously.
    What have you heard?

vCash
    I blame the public as much as anything for the decline of AI.
    After all, the voters/automatic dialing campaigns chose Taylor Hicks, Blake Lewis, etc. as "winners".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    After all, the voters/automatic dialing campaigns chose Taylor Hicks, Blake Lewis, etc. as "winners".
    If the producers would only restrict votes then a handful of voters wouldn't be able to skew the results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    If the producers would only restrict votes then a handful of voters wouldn't be able to skew the results.
    I have been hoping for this for a long time but I simply can not see it ever happening. Idol has often validated itself by talking about how many votes they received. They would no longer be able to throw out those numbers if votes were limited to 10 per line, or what not. It is just a much better idea of what the country wants as opposed to what the part of the country who is willing to vote 100+ times an hour wants. However, playing Devil's advocate here, I suppose Idol wants to keep it the way it is because those fans who vote 100+ times are more likely to buy every album and single and attend concerts, etc. This way they know they are getting a winner with some seriously invested fans. It just hasn't appeared to work that way, too many times the winner is seemingly forgotten by the very people who voted for him/her by the end of the summer.
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Blake Lewis didn't win. Jordin did. But, I get the point you and taf are making. Melinda was fabulous. But, there's a variet of tasted amongst the viewers.

I agree with taf about Phillip Phillips. He'll never be as big as Kelly or Carrie, but he's doing very well. Largely based on the style of music, he's getting played on radio stations that never played Idols before, and he's selling well. Also, Scotty is doing respectably in country music.

Blake and Taylor were years ago, so I don't think they can be blamed for this season's big decline in ratings.

I think Idol was bound to experience some decrease in popularity given how long it's been on the air and other competitions like The Voice coming along. But, I think the main reason it's taken a nose dive this year is because the judge (especially with Nicki) are turning people off and becuase the manipulation and dishonesty has been so blatant, whether it was including Lazaro and going easy on him when he gave bad performances or calling a karaoke version of a Celine Dion song "current." And maybe some viewers did want a cute and reasonably talented guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post

I think Angie has pretty good shot at it. She not only has the support of the judges and producers, but she clearly has an ardent fan base. I don't think Angie is untalented, but she's generally left me pretty cold. But, there's no denying that she has lots of support. Plus, her hometown is Boston, so the hometown visit may provide more sympathy and support for her.
    Actually, Angie's hometown is Beverly, MA a good 40 minutes north of Boston. I don't think there will be any "sympathy" votes/support given that the bombing and later ensuing drama happened downtown and west of Boston. A lot of people in the city probably wouldn't feel a "connection" to Angie, although it seems as if she has a lot of support in the north shore suburbs. Sorry it just bugs me when people who are not from Boston proper try to pass Boston off as their hometown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    Actually, Angie's hometown is Beverly, MA a good 40 minutes north of Boston. I don't think there will be any "sympathy" votes/support given that the bombing and later ensuing drama happened downtown and west of Boston. A lot of people in the city probably wouldn't feel a "connection" to Angie, although it seems as if she has a lot of support in the north shore suburbs. Sorry it just bugs me when people who are not from Boston proper try to pass Boston off as their hometown
    Well, on the show, she referred to Boston as her hometown the week of the bombing. Maybe viewers in Boston limit their connection to people who live in the city itself, unlike viewers in states like North Carolina or Texas. But I think a lot of people watching the show will think she's from Boston or the Boston area and she may get some sympathy from voters, and not just voters from her town, her area, or Massachusetts.

In any event, I think she's got a good shot at the finale unless the producers have decided they don't want that to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Well, on the show, she referred to Boston as her hometown the week of the bombing. Maybe viewers in Boston limit their connection to people who live in the city itself, unlike viewers in states like North Carolina or Texas. But I think a lot of people watching the show will think she's from Boston or the Boston area and she may get some sympathy from voters, and not just voters from her town, her area, or Massachusetts.

In any event, I think she's got a good shot at the finale unless the producers have decided they don't want that to happen.
    I actually didn't catch that she referred to Boston as her hometown but if she did. What a tacky ploy for sympathy votes. Angie hasn't really gotten much press from the Boston media, but she has a lot of support from her actual hometown of Beverly.

I think she has a good shot of the finale as well, because of the teenage vote more than anything. Since there's no WGWG, she would be the default for the tweens/teens. Even if the producers don't want her in, sometimes they don't always get their way...Taylor Hicks anyone?

vCash
    IIRC, she said "I'm with you Boston" or something similar.

ETA, both channel 25 and Boston.com are following her. Unfortunately, most of the area has bigger news on their minds.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    She said: "This if for my home - Boston." I don't really have much problem with that. In interviews she also referred to Boston as her home and said that she knew people who were there that day.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast