Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeO View Post
    Actually IIRC I don't believe he told her to "do" that version. He told her to listen to it because that was the original version of the song, so that she could learn the song and then sing HER version of it.
    That's what I got out of his comments.

I was just happy that someone told Randy to shut up.

I don't think people hate Amber (well I don't anyway). I think most are annoyed with the treatment she gets for less than stellar performances. She is amazingly talented, but has so much work to do. I feel bad because I think with the critiques that she is getting the last few weeks, there is little incentive to improve. (Granted I only saw "My Funny Valentine" + critique.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Melinda Doolittle did a fabulous job with it.
    She certainly did.

Melinda Doolittle on American Idol - My Funny Valentine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzpPmfATSLc

The only person I liked last night was Candice.

vCash
    mmm the only version of My Funny Valentine that sticks in my memory ( and apparently there have been quite a few) is Constantine Marulis playing the camera. Just saw him on a CSI episode the other day...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    Listening to Harry Connick, Jr. during his mentoring sessions was interesting. While I understand that it is important to know the meaning of the lyrics, I don't believe there is only one right way to sing a song, and frankly, Harry Connick, Jr. puts me to sleep. I heartily disagree that contestants should be penalized for showcasing their individual styles.

I would hate for final four to lose their originality - the very thing that brought them to this point, and a lot of what has made many of their performances less-than-memorable in the last couple of weeks.
    I agree. Let them make it their own, whether it means including runs or doing a bluesy arrangement of a song. I got the very strong impression that Harry did not want Kree doing the bluesier arrangment she liked and the point the judges were making when they were disagreeing with Harry was that they wanted it bluesier, not that she shouldn't learn the melody and song. And doing runs does not have to mean hiding vocal problems. Just look at Mariah and Xtina. Harry has his own very strong view of how standards should be sung -- the way he sings them. Which is the classic standard way and don't you go messing with it. I understand that some people don't like a lot of runs -- I tend to fall into that category -- but that can often be a subjective thing, not an issue of vocal talent. I have no problem with the singers making these songs their own rather than doing karaoke versions or what someone dictates to them. That doesn't necessarily mean I'll like their choices, but go for it. I think that Kree came into this competition knowing who she was musically and people are totally messing with her head. I wish she would just trust herself and let go.

These poor contestants get so much conflicting advice. Be less bluesy; no, be more bluesy. Use the standard arrangement; does the then have to be so then? Get more physical; no, stay within yourself. Be your happy self (while singing an angst-filled song); but understand, connect with, and express the song. Don't go to church with your singing (even though you didn't go to church); you can't take the church out of the church girl and we loved the singers in the past who took their singing to church. It's enough to drive any contestant crazy if they're trying to please the judges, Jimmy, mentors, producers, audience, and themselves.
    Last edited by Allskate; 05-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    If you haven't already, head over to USA Today and read Brian Mansfield's blog from last night. He hits the nail on the head. As for the contestants singing in their individual styles, you need look no further than Melinda Doolittle, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood for examples of singers who would express their own styles and still not be accused of over embellishing a song. Runs are a gimmick - they give a singer a place to land if they're not sure of the note and provide an out if the breathing is out of line with the phrasing of the lyrics.
    Completely agree with this. The advise the singers were given last night, will actually make them better musicians. I for one am really tired of singers who can't center or hold a note.

vCash
    Harry Connick's mentoring may not have always been what the ladies wanted to hear; but, it was advice they need to listen to, if they want to improve as singers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    If you haven't already, head over to USA Today and read Brian Mansfield's blog from last night. He hits the nail on the head. As for the contestants singing in their individual styles, you need look no further than Melinda Doolittle, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood for examples of singers who would express their own styles and still not be accused of over embellishing a song. Runs are a gimmick - they give a singer a place to land if they're not sure of the note and provide an out if the breathing is out of line with the phrasing of the lyrics.
    Well, it depends on the singer. I'm sure Mr. Mansfield is not a fan of Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Patti LaBelle and Aretha Franklin's singing. All of those singers do "runs". Some may use it as a gimmick but it does not negate their awesome singing ablility. Maybe he's not a fan of Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughan because they used "scat" and embellished parts of their song too.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Well, it depends on the singer. I'm sure Mr. Mansfield is not a fan of Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, Patti LaBelle and Aretha Franklin's singing. All of those singers do "runs". Some may use it as a gimmick but it does not negate their awesome singing ablility. Maybe he's not a fan of Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughan because they used "scat" and embellished parts of their song too.
    To my ear, Ella's improvs weren't the runs you hear today. Her phrases were always complete, THEN she took off. Same for Patti. I never heard he sacrifice a lyric for a trick.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I think Harry was somewhat naive to think that any of the contestants were going to perform the standards in a straight ahead jazz style. None of the contestants' natural timbres and vocal technique are suited for standards performed in that style (Candice was probably the closest - in the beginning of "You've Changed", she was good at contrasting between the gentleness with the power).

vCash
    David Cook will be on tonight. I'm 90% certain his new song is another f*cking ballad. I voted for rocker David. I didn't vote for sensitive, shmoopy David.

Meh.

vCash
    Well, I like song, but I hate the hair.

I'm torn.

I'm still not over how bad his last album was.

I will have to hear more from this album before I decide if we're back together.

vCash
    He doesn't usually wear his hair like that, this is new.

You know I loved the last album.

I'm just hoping we hear the album soon, no date for any sort of release as he's still writing. But he keeps saying he's going more quiet, so I don't know if he'll ever rock hard again.

BTW, saw his rhythm guitarist Andy Skib (and their bass player) play a local show a few weeks ago. Great show, great guys. You'd probably like his former lead guitarist, Neal Tiemann's, new band Hell or Highwater - complete rock.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'm watching it a little behind - but as soon as I heard it, I knew it was going to be a hit with you. uh, the hair not so much. Maybe he will come back to Whiskey Road and we can fangirl again.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post

I'm torn.

I'm still not over how bad his last album was.

I will have to hear more from this album before I decide if we're back together.
    you were the first thing I thought of when I saw him take the stage I actually enjoyed his performance.. prefer something a bit heavier from him..

I'm fine with the choices so far.. except for Candice who to me is the top one.. any of the other women deserve to make the final three.. so I'm good now with any combination..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Kree and Amber in the bottom? Kree's going home.

ETA Wah HOO! I was wrong! Yay Kree!

vCash
    Nope it's Amber.

vCash
    Amber is going home, which if we are going by vocals alone is probably the right choice.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I don't hate Amber but she was my least favorite.

vCash
    Amber was so disappointed; I think it affected her performance.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Amber was so disappointed; I think it affected her performance.
    yes i agree.. doesn't take much for the notes to go wonky if your breathing is off from being upset.. I felt bad for her - but i'm sure she will have many door open for her - she is a beautiful woman so imagine we might see her on TV or movies etc.,
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast