Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Keith and Harry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Randy is sounding like a mainstream record producer which is what he is; Connick sounds like an artist, which is what HE is.. Can't say either one is wrong.
    Completely agree.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I think that was an unfortunate portion of Angie's performance to highlight in the recap.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My mom often works at Ford Park in Beaumont, Texas and she said they were put on notice that if Kree makes the final 3 that there will be a free concert for Kree as part of her Homecoming package (Woodville is about an hour away but Beaumont is the closest big city with any place big enough for such an event). I was thinking about going to town for it but free concerts are going to be absolutely packed. If it required tickets then I could get one from my mom and get a seat of my own but I think it will be first come first serve and absolutely mayhem.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    I wish Kree had listened to Harry. I hope it's Amber who gets the boot. I really like Candice and Kree.
    don't we lose 2 this week? Amber, Angie and Kree can go home. Kree was just not strong enough, Angie was forgettable, Amber was too phony for me.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I think final will be Candice and Amber.. my choice.. but if not Candice and Kree??
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Ok, the group number is a huge honking hot mess!

vCash
    Keith and Harry
    Indeed. Two beautiful men. :sigh:

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I've only got one vote through for Candice and keep getting busy signals but I have gotten through every single time for Kree. Hopefully Kree has enough of a lead from last week to keep her safe this week. I am sure Candice and Ambers fans will be voting really hard. I wish they had not even told us results last week, it probably gives an advantage to those in the bottom.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    as of right now, i think candice deserves to win. you should know my favorites dont fare well on tv talent comps.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Keith and Harry
    I'd read that fanfic!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    For me, Kree won the 2013 songs section, with Candice second. And in the standards section .. omg Candice . Standing O well deserved! She damn well better be in the final. Liked Kree next, although her song was maybe over orchestrated or sound wasn't right? It felt like I couldn't hear her well, just the orchestra.

Harry Connick Jr., you ROCK. (Now I'm going to listen to Nina Simone's My Funny Valentine to wipe out the memory of Amber.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    It is a song she has already sang this season, that is why it feels safe from her.
    There was a world of difference in those 2 performances. Harry's coaching made a huge improvement in the way she sung the song. IMO Amber & Candice were the only ones to take Harry's suggestions in the Standards part of tonight. He told Angie that her 3 note run was stupid & she did it anyway. And Kree's ignored the melody of SW - exactly what he told her not to do. Not only was it not close to either Lena Horne or Etta James, it wasn't very good.

Still behind. Thought Amber was blah. Tears for votes.
    I absolutely did not get a fake vibe from that. I'm sure the poor girl knows she's going home tomorrow. She didn't have her usual swagger. It's not like she all of a sudden got solemn - she was like that all night.

My rankings:

Candice - 2nd round
    Amber - 2nd round
    Kree - 1st round
    Candice - 1st round

The others are a toss-up for worst:

Kree - 2nd round
    Angie - 1st round
    Amber - 1st round
    Angie - 2nd round

vCash
    I think the Amber hate is getting a little OTT, just as much as the praise is OTT. She's got a lot of growing to do as an artist, but when she's on her vocals are stunning. She just needs to be more consistent vocally.

Kree and Candice are the front runners for me though. Maturity, artistry, and beautiful vocals.

Harry Connick Jr. should replace all four judges....forever.

vCash
    Double post

vCash
    Sorry extra post.

vCash
    Round one to Kree. Round two to Candice. Please let there be a Candice/Kree finale.

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I don't think Kree could have done anything right for the judges tonight. It wasn't in the script.
    Probably true, but -- and I hate to say this -- I agreed with the judges that Kree should have stuck with doing a bluesy version. I find Harry Connick, Jr. entertaining, but he was hypocritical when he was mocking them for saying that she should have done the Etta James version, when the tape showed him telling Kree to do the Lena Horne version. Of course, the judges were hypocritical themselves when they told her to be more bluesy and trust her own instincts, given what they said to her last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    She's got a lot of growing to do as an artist, but when she's on her vocals are stunning. She just needs to be more consistent vocally.
    I think Amber has potential, but she needs to gain more than vocal consistency. She also needs to gain a musical identity. They say she's the next Beyonce or Rhianna, but her own tastes seem to run more to Celine and Whitney. She also needs to make the effort to understand what the songs she's singing are about, or she'll never be very expressive or connect well with the songs. In some ways, she's kind of Jimmy's dream because he can shape her, give her the songs, and provide the musical creativity that she lacks at this stage without her really fighting him. She's kind of like Jordin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I find Harry Connick, Jr. entertaining, but he was hypocritical when he was mocking them for saying that she should have done the Etta James version, when the tape showed him telling Kree to do the Lena Horne version.
    Actually IIRC I don't believe he told her to "do" that version. He told her to listen to it because that was the original version of the song, so that she could learn the song and then sing HER version of it.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Listening to Harry Connick, Jr. during his mentoring sessions was interesting. While I understand that it is important to know the meaning of the lyrics, I don't believe there is only one right way to sing a song, and frankly, Harry Connick, Jr. puts me to sleep. I heartily disagree that contestants should be penalized for showcasing their individual styles.

I would hate for final four to lose their originality - the very thing that brought them to this point, and a lot of what has made many of their performances less-than-memorable in the last couple of weeks. Please, God, don't let Harry Connick, Jr. become a judge!

The disagreement between him and the judges was entertaining, though.

vCash
    If you haven't already, head over to USA Today and read Brian Mansfield's blog from last night. He hits the nail on the head. As for the contestants singing in their individual styles, you need look no further than Melinda Doolittle, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood for examples of singers who would express their own styles and still not be accused of over embellishing a song. Runs are a gimmick - they give a singer a place to land if they're not sure of the note and provide an out if the breathing is out of line with the phrasing of the lyrics.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast