Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I guess I'm missing something with Amber's looks. I keep reading that her good looks will take her far. I don't think she's unattractive but I don't think she's pretty either. I don't understand all the gushing.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I guess I'm missing something with Amber's looks. I keep reading that her good looks will take her far. I don't think she's unattractive but I don't think she's pretty either. I don't understand all the gushing.
    likely in the eye of the beholder.. I think she is attractive..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    She said: "This if for my home - Boston." I don't really have much problem with that. In interviews she also referred to Boston as her home and said that she knew people who were there that day.
    I don't have a problem with her paying tribute to Boston, since it's the capitol of the state that is her home, but the city of Boston isn't her home, so not really she why she referred to it as such.

In regards to Amber's looks....I think she has a really cute girl next door look. She's not drop dead gorgeous, but she has a great figure and a cute face....that's definitely marketable.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    As I've said before, I think she looks like a beauty pageant contestant. All high forehead and blinding smile. Nikki calling her a "Disney Princess" was a pretty apt description though, though I'm pretty sure she didn't mean it totally as a compliment.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    Actually, Angie's hometown is Beverly, MA a good 40 minutes north of Boston. I don't think there will be any "sympathy" votes/support given that the bombing and later ensuing drama happened downtown and west of Boston. A lot of people in the city probably wouldn't feel a "connection" to Angie, although it seems as if she has a lot of support in the north shore suburbs. Sorry it just bugs me when people who are not from Boston proper try to pass Boston off as their hometown
    Huh. I lived and worked in Beverly for four years. I considered it a suburb of Boston and identified as such....much like when I lived in Arlington TX I was from Dallas-Ft. Worth, and when I was in Malibu I was also in L.A., and when I lived in Weehwawken NEW JERSEY I was still from New York City. To each his own, I suppose -- regional identity certainly differs from place to place. Perhaps I missed the nuance in Massachusetts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nypanda View Post
    Huh. I lived and worked in Beverly for four years. I considered it a suburb of Boston and identified as such....much like when I lived in Arlington TX I was from Dallas-Ft. Worth, and when I was in Malibu I was also in L.A., and when I lived in Weehwawken NEW JERSEY I was still from New York City. To each his own, I suppose -- regional identity certainly differs from place to place. Perhaps I missed the nuance in Massachusetts.
    Right...if she said she was from the "Boston area" that would be one thing, but Beverly is a city in it's own right, so I'm not sure it actually qualifies as a suburb of Boston. I lived in Boston for 7 years, and Massachusetts my whole life, as well as worked in Beverly for 2 years myself, and most people from the north shore just say they are from the North shore, or whatever town it is they live in. If you never lived in/were not born in the city proper, or at least the immediate/metro area, you're not "from" the city. Especially not if you're 40 mins away...If she just siad she was from Boston from the very beginning I guess it wouldn't bother me as much, but it just seems a little too opportunistic that all of the sudden she's "from Boston" when she first appeared on the show she said she was from Beverly, Ma.

vCash
    Did we ever hear Boston out of her mouth before the bombings?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    As I've said before, I think she looks like a beauty pageant contestant. All high forehead and blinding smile. Nikki calling her a "Disney Princess" was a pretty apt description though, though I'm pretty sure she didn't mean it totally as a compliment.
    I thought Nikki called Angie a Disney princess, not Amber.

Sorry, double post.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I think all this talk about Angie and Boston is much ado about nothing.

I see it going one of two ways:

1. Angie simply feels a sense of unity and family with the Boston area. She is definitely close enough to Boston that it makes sense she would have this feeling more so than someone from other parts of the country or even other parts of MA. I think back to 9/11 and how everyone I knew was out buying an American flag after that day. People had flags hanging from their homes, flags attached to their vehicles, etc. I didn't think those people were jumping on any bandwagon, we just all felt it was time to stand together in such a time. Angie may feel that saying she is from Boston shows that she stands with Boston and feels she is a part of that family. N

2. It could be producer manipulation. After the bombings the producers may have gone to her and convinced her to say she is from Boston and to bring it up. I have a feeling they wouldn't have come out and said it was for votes or for ratings or what not but they probably sold it to her nicely packaged and she obviously bought it.

I have to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. I just don't think she would purposely use something like that to go for sympathy votes.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I'm guessing that Nickie thinks that Angie looks very "current." Much more "current" than Candice.

I've never thought that Angie came across as very genuine, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt with the whole Boston thing and the bombing. My real issue with her is that she just never seems to really connect and she can get shrill. Her voice just isn't my cup of tea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I thought Nikki called Angie a Disney princess, not Amber.

Sorry, double post.
    Yeah I was talking about Amber, not Angie. I don't think anyone has gushed about Angie's looks. People act like Amber is some stunner though and she looks very average to me. I figure she's trying to be sexy when she wears shorts but she looks like an average looking kid you'd see at the mall.

vCash
    I have to disagree about Angie not using something like the bombing to go for sympathy votes. She comes across to me as someone who would use anything for votes & do anything to win this show. Why else would she says something about "my hometown Boston"? I live closer to Dallas than Angie does to Boston, & I would never think about calling it my hometown.

vCash
    Spoilers for this week:

Spoiler

I hope some of these are wrong.
    Actually, I’m surprisingly pleased with the choices for Candice, though the second one is kind of meh. She can showcase her versatility between the three songs and I think the first song is a great way for her to show the kind of current pop music she could record.

With Angie, the first two make sense and I can see her even picking these first two choices. The third one, I would not have chosen for her, even though I like the song and I can see Angie liking the lyrics. I don’t think it fits her style.

The choices for Kree have me baffled and disappointed. The first one does not make any sense. She never would have chosen that for herself. The other two may be country, but country is a broad category and I don’t think the second one suits her at all. She can make the third one suit her, but it’s just not a very good song and she may end up serenading Nicki. There are so many country songs out there that would be better. I really would have liked it if they had given her a bluesy song in her wheelhouse. Oh, well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think all this talk about Angie and Boston is much ado about nothing.

I see it going one of two ways:

1. Angie simply feels a sense of unity and family with the Boston area. She is definitely close enough to Boston that it makes sense she would have this feeling more so than someone from other parts of the country or even other parts of MA. I think back to 9/11 and how everyone I knew was out buying an American flag after that day. People had flags hanging from their homes, flags attached to their vehicles, etc. I didn't think those people were jumping on any bandwagon, we just all felt it was time to stand together in such a time. Angie may feel that saying she is from Boston shows that she stands with Boston and feels she is a part of that family. N

2. It could be producer manipulation. After the bombings the producers may have gone to her and convinced her to say she is from Boston and to bring it up. I have a feeling they wouldn't have come out and said it was for votes or for ratings or what not but they probably sold it to her nicely packaged and she obviously bought it.

I have to give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. I just don't think she would purposely use something like that to go for sympathy votes.
    I chalk it up to producer stupidity rather than manipulation. They latch on to the nearest big city if they can. Understanding the subtleties of the North Shore is a very Massachusetts thing. Even folks who live here argue about whether to include the landlocked towns north of the city in the North Shore moniker. And don't get me started about North Shore vs. Cape Ann.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I live in a suburb of Dallas that's about 45 min away from downtown Dallas, and when I meet people outside Texas, I say I'm from Dallas. Because if I said I was from my suburb city no one would know where it is.

vCash
    I definitely agree that there's is likely an element of producer manipulation regarding Angie, but the whole thing just seems a bit misleading. I live on the north shore now, and when I'm talking to someone that's not from the general eastern Massachussetts area, I generally say "I live about 15 miles north of Boston" or I just say "The Boston area". Angie is just a kid, so I'm sure she doesn't mean any harm, but living in Boston during these attacks, and living on the north shore is a world of difference. It's one thing to want to pay tribute to the people of Boston, and show support and pride from growing up near the city, but it's another to mislead people into thinking the attacks happened down the street from where you are from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Spoilers for this week:

Spoiler

I hope some of these are wrong.
    Actually, I’m surprisingly pleased with the choices for Candice, though the second one is kind of meh. She can showcase her versatility between the three songs and I think the first song is a great way for her to show the kind of current pop music she could record.

With Angie, the first two make sense and I can see her even picking these first two choices. The third one, I would not have chosen for her, even though I like the song and I can see Angie liking the lyrics. I don’t think it fits her style.

The choices for Kree have me baffled and disappointed. The first one does not make any sense. She never would have chosen that for herself. The other two may be country, but country is a broad category and I don’t think the second one suits her at all. She can make the third one suit her, but it’s just not a very good song and she may end up serenading Nicki. There are so many country songs out there that would be better. I really would have liked it if they had given her a bluesy song in her wheelhouse. Oh, well.
    Some of these choices seem random. I see that Angie and Candice both have an older song, but all 3 of Kree's are fairly current. I guess there's no particular theme, except for producer/Jimmy/judges.

I don't care for Angie's choices at all. Well, I like the third choice, I'm not sure how it will go for her. We'll see. I love Candice's 1st choice a lot, but am meh on the 2nd and 3rd. But I do think that each one is a good choice for her style/vocal ability. I'm a bit puzzled about Kree's songs as well. I guess they are telling her which direction they want to see her going (well except for the 1st choice -- I'm betting that's a judges choice. I think the issue is that she sings beautifully, but has failed to put her stamp on the song (over the last few weeks).

I think it's going to be a great show on Wednesday!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    I definitely agree that there's is likely an element of producer manipulation regarding Angie, but the whole thing just seems a bit misleading. I live on the north shore now, and when I'm talking to someone that's not from the general eastern Massachussetts area, I generally say "I live about 15 miles north of Boston" or I just say "The Boston area". Angie is just a kid, so I'm sure she doesn't mean any harm, but living in Boston during these attacks, and living on the north shore is a world of difference. It's one thing to want to pay tribute to the people of Boston, and show support and pride from growing up near the city, but it's another to mislead people into thinking the attacks happened down the street from where you are from.
    I agree. I felt a sense of kinship with the people of West, Texas, because I've been there many times on the way to Waco or Austin or points south, but I didn't feel any desire to call it my home just to make myself part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    I live in a suburb of Dallas that's about 45 min away from downtown Dallas, and when I meet people outside Texas, I say I'm from Dallas. Because if I said I was from my suburb city no one would know where it is.
    OK then. But if you had always previously said you are from Red Oak or McKinney (or Beverly, Mass) & then started identifying yourself as being from Dallas only after some kind of tragedy, that would be suspect.

BTW I said earlier that we would know who the producers (Nigel) didn't want in the finale by the song selections and I was apparently 100% correct. Buh bye Kree.

vCash
    Okay, I'm gonna make an executive decision. I am qualified to do so because I live in Quincy which borders Boston and when I am traveling I always say I'm from Boston. Angie can claim Boston as her home. Beverly's close enough. Angie loves that Dirty Water, Boston is her home.

Pahk ya cah in Hahvahd Yahd! snoopysnake has spoken!
    ()"o

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Okay, I'm gonna make an executive decision. I am qualified to do so because I live in Quincy which borders Boston and when I am traveling I always say I'm from Boston. Angie can claim Boston as her home. Beverly's close enough. Angie loves that Dirty Water, Boston is her home.

Pahk ya cah in Hahvahd Yahd! snoopysnake has spoken!
    ()"o
    So? I actually lived in Boston for nearly a decade, (I actually just moved to the north shore this past September) currently live one town over from Beverly, MA, and have been working in Beverly for the past two years. There are plenty of other posters who live/lived in Mass that have chimed in as well. Living in Quincy doesn't make you any more "qualified" than my living on the north shore and just having moved from Boston does

Like Taf said, what makes Angie's situation a little suspect is that before the bombings she referred to her hometown as Beverly, MA and now she's claiming Boston as her hometown. As someone who went to school down the street from the bombings, and walked down boylston st. every day, it is a bit irksome that she's claiming Boston as her hometown, after the fact. If you never lived there or even worked there, or had to go into the city on a daily basis it's not the same as living 40 mins away and taking the occasional trip into the city for a sox game a few times a year. I definitely support her enthusiasm to support the city and the victims, and it's really more the media/the show itself trying to drum up interest for Angie because of Beverly's proximity to Boston.

In contrast, a contestant on the voice, Michelle Chamuel is from Wellsley, MA closer to Boston than Beverly, and I haven't heard one peep from the show/herself about being "from Boston" or talking about the attacks. I completely support the inital "I'll stand by you" tribute, but the fact that it keeps coming up weeks in interviews after the fact is getting old and bordering on explotative.
    Last edited by Smiley0884; 05-07-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast