Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Amber looked like she was going to go home. Too bad she didn't
    According to Dial Idol's raw numbers, Candice received the lowest number of votes, followed by Amber. That kind of makes sense. Candice was criticized, but not enough to evoke a lot of anger voting from her fans, with Jimmy kind of coming to her defense at one point. And Amber got praised big time.

Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Don't the producers know by now that overblown and unjustified praise for a contestant tends to backfire?
    I don't think it always backfires. Like with Scotty. But he was always really popular and Amber wasn't. They just can't really make it work with Amber because she never was very popular. (Though I guess it did work a little if she got more votes than Candice.)

I think another reason the Amber promotion isn't working better is that the audience can tell it's coming at the expense of other contestants. Amber struggles with some of the notes while doing a very karaoke version of a Celine Dion song standing still throughout the song and she's called current and perfect Then Candice sings a current song, shows her musicality, creativity, and vocal prowess and the tell her she's old-fashioned and that she doesn't have to have runs and go to church. Candice didn't go to church with her singing. Plus, in the past they've raved for contestants who really did go to church with their singing, but Candice didn't do that.

Then, they criticize Kree for a song choice that I'm betting a lot of her fans loved. "It Hurts So Bad" was my favorite vocal of the night and I thought the song choice was great for her voice. They criticize her for not laying it out there, but Candice oversang and Amber had just stood still and was totally unconnected to her Celine Dion song.

I've never understood Angie's big appeal and I give up on trying. But, I don't think she deserves to go home next.

vCash
    to be fair - no one, even celine, has connected to a celine song

vCash
    Amber struggles with some of the notes while doing a very karaoke version of a Celine Dion song standing still throughout the song and she's called current and perfect Then Candice sings a current song, shows her musicality, creativity, and vocal prowess and the tell her she's old-fashioned and that she doesn't have to have runs and go to church. Candice didn't go to church with her singing. Plus, in the past they've raved for contestants who really did go to church with their singing, but Candice didn't do that.
    This!

The judges constantly send "mixed messages" to the contestants.
    No wonder most seem confused; and sing like that.

vCash
    I like Amber but I hated the over-pimping, and to be fair, I don't think Amber liked it either. Melinda Doolittle said in an interview that overpraise was a lot harder for her to take than criticism. When the judges go OTT Amber gets a look on her face that is just shy of rolling her eyes. But the fallout on the internet against Amber is really disgusting, as though she is responsible for the pimping. Some people sound like tar & feathering is too good for her.

OTOH it appears that no tongue-bath would be too effusive for Angie. She looks like she really laps it up.

vCash
    I like Amber the most. I think she is genuine, makes bold choices, and expresses her songs well emotionally. Regardless of what the judges say, she always sparkles for me, and I often feel like I am waiting through the other contestants until its her turn. I don't think her voice is the best I've ever heard, but she's to me the most fun. And she can do some really cool stuff vocally too. Candice is the most talented but probably the least original vocally. I think "Straight Up" and "Find Your Love" were attempts at being interesting and current but I found them meander-y and tired. She's going to have to find her inner Syesha and do something a bit comedic or theatric soon or she'll probably go home. It's really too bad she can't seem to find the right songs a lot of the time because she rules when she does. Kree has a way about her on certain songs where she just oozes quality, but on others she's totally out of her zone and phones it in, and it happens far too often. Angie is such a "contestant" and plays this game smart- she goes for songs that have moments and really mixes it up. She's very theatric which is great for this show. Personally I find her versions of songs often don't hit the accurate power level- her voice just doesn't seem to do that- but she emotes the heck out of them so I think she can sometimes fool the audience into thinking she's doing something amazing. She IS good though, just not one of my favorite voices.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Was it just my affiliate or did they completely flub the opening of American Idol? They started with Ryan in mid-sentence introducing the singers, with the judges already seated. It started about 3-4 minutes late but clearly they were on time in the studio.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    OMG OMG OMG!!!! MARIAH JUST THREW SHADE!!!!

LMFAO!!!!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Angie's problem is that she tried to "sing" a song by an artist who can't sing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    Then she should shine in comparison. I sometimes wonder if that's why people like to cover Katy Perry or Taylor Swift songs.

vCash
    "Back to the Billboard Hot 100 #1 song which you just performed, which is very difficult to get - not everybody has that.."

I am dying....
    -Brian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    That's why she should be able to do better. Rhianna is well produced entertainer. I like some of her records for the dance-able quality, not for her voice. Yet some think the vibrato in her voice is great, hence the amount of collabs she seems to garner.

I've never heard her sound remotely decent in any live performances.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    That's why she should be able to do better. Rhianna is well produced entertainer. I like some of her records for the dance-able quality, not for her voice. Yet some think the vibrato in her voice is great, hence the amount of collabs she seems to garner.

I've never heard her sound remotely decent in any live performances.
    You didn't like this vocal masterclass? :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTtMXLe5z3Y
    -Brian

vCash
    Amber seemed really uncomfortable up there tonight. Maybe last weeks over-pimping got to her.

vCash
    Actually Mariah, Just Give Me a Reason is currently #1 in the U.S.
    -Brian

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    "Back to the Billboard Hot 100 #1 song which you just performed, which is very difficult to get - not everybody has that.."

I am dying....
    I totally loved that.. she is such a diva - but a deserved diva - unlike the other one
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    amber's song sounded 10 minutes long, i'm exhausted. it's the sarah hughes fosse exhibition all over again.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I am excited to hear "When I Was Your Man" from Candice. It is one of my favorite songs of the year and I think it is a good song for anyone to sing with a voice like Candice's.
    -Brian

vCash
    That is how you SANG! Mad respect to Candace. Awesome job.
    Kyle

vCash
    And this week, they are back to telling Candice what a great singer she is.

vCash
    She better be in the finale.
    -Brian

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast