Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Unhappy Cdn Singer Rita MacNeil Passes Away

First Stompin Tom and now Rita....

CBC News ~ Rita MacNeil, Cape Breton singer, dies at 68

While my Dad was never a Coal Miner, he was *still* a Miner and for all of us who had a Dad that worked in a Mine for their Livelihood, this song will always touch us deeply...

Rita MacNeil ~ Working Man

Rita, you will be missed. GodSpeed Lovely Lady.

vCash
    A beautiful voice and wonderful person. R.I.P.

vCash
    A beautiful voice indeed. You will be missed!

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Sad day here in Cape Breton. She was a great embassador for our beautiful island
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    It's been a rough few months in Cape Breton and it's singing community. First Raylene Rankin loses her battle w/Cancer and now Rita. I just wish I'd had the privledge of taking in one of Rita's Concerts and hearing her live. At least I have that w/the Rankins, as I saw them in Concert in 93. I do so wish I could have heard Rita that way too.

vCash
    I am a musician and the musical community here has also lost a few other big names recently too It's one thing that keeps our spirits up here because of the high unemployment rate and high degree of poverty. It's quite a depressing place to live at times but at least we have our music and our ocean.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I was so sad to hear this news. Whether you liked her voice or not, she was an inspiration to normal folks.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I just wish I'd had the privledge of taking in one of Rita's Concerts and hearing her live. At least I have that w/the Rankins, as I saw them in Concert in 93. I do so wish I could have heard Rita that way too.
    Same here.

vCash
    She will be missed by more people than many singers "better-known" than she was.
    RIP, Rita.

vCash
    I thought this was cute, and rather respectful. http://www.country933.com/files/Bruce-poli-cartoon.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    I thought this was cute, and rather respectful. http://www.country933.com/files/Bruce-poli-cartoon.jpg
    You know, just from watching her interviews over the years, the cameo bit she did on The Trailer Park Boys and also the little opening skit she and Rick Mercer did for the ECMA's a few years ago (and is up over at the CBC, but not sure if part of the story of Rita's passing), she really had quite the sense of humour. I think she'd love that cartoon and I personally do too. What a lovely way to pay tribute to her and the others we've lost as well the last year and a bit.

I wonder if there will be anything done during the Juno's to honour her since it's only been a few days since her passing? They're Sunday night and I've been wondering if they would or just have her as a part of a In Memory of piece, but at the end of it.

I did hear last night the Funeral is being planned for Tuesday in Big Pond, but they had not as of the 6pm Newscast in Toronto last night decided if Rita's Funeral will be Private or open to the Public.

ETA ~ Ooops!! I meant to add that I saw that video at the CBC thanks to a tweet that Rick Mercer made in honour of Rita's passing and he left a link to it in the Tweet. He also said he was remembering her smiling and thinking how they spent the better part of the day of those ECMA's in her Hotel Room, w/Rita trying to teach Rick how to play the Kazoo.

You know? I can so see that and the two of them having just so much fun that day.

vCash
    The church in Big Pond is tiny so who knows how many people can actually get in.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I thought about that too Mozart. Mom thought perhaps the best thing to do would be to make the Funeral private, but then hold a Public Memorial Service somewhere where there is a place nearby maybe that could handle the amount of people that would want to attend it in a month or so.