Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    After I posted, I remembered the 2 medals on the GP circuit in the Fall of 2010. He worked w/ Sandra Bezic IIRC that year. Perhaps that made a difference (but not sure whom he worked with since then). I stand by my statement that he needs to focus really hard on other elements of skating besides the 'hardest quads'.
    Just wanted to mention that since working with Bezic, Brandon has also worked with Jeffrey Buttle who choreographed last season's programs for him. I agree that he needs to focus really hard on other elements of skating besides the jumps. I think that Brandon has been trying to work more on musicality, hence the reason why he went to Buttle last year, but in the case for some skaters, artistry takes years to develop, and when you can't put it together with the jumps then it's just a sad situation.

vCash
    The thing I like most about him is his ever present smile. He seems like such a happy person, despite his past family tragedies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Who knows for sure. I dont think the judges were ever giving Weir the title over Abbott that year no matter how well he skated. Evan maybe could have, since Abbott had mistakes in the LP, but the SP showed they were going to go with Jeremy if both skated cleanly.
    I fully expected Jeremy to get the title in 09 but thought based on their seasons, Lysacek would take the silver and Weir the bronze.

vCash
    I noticed that Mroz is no longer listed in USFS' International Selection Pool for 2014-15, so it appears he may have decided to retire from competition at 23 (no official word yet). He placed 9th at Nationals in Boston (ETA: he landed 4T+3T in both programs but had problems on other jumps).

His IN bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/brandon_mroz
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-15-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I noticed that Mroz is no longer listed in USFS' International Selection Pool for 2014-15, so it appears he may have decided to retire from competition at 23 (no official word yet). He placed 9th at Nationals in Boston.

His IN bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/profile/brandon_mroz
    If it is really so, than I feel sad. I remember his silver at Nationals, he looked so promising at that time.

In whatever path he would choose for next year, I hope he would find happiness.

vCash
    I checked his ISU bio and Brandon was born in 1990, so he will be 24 this December. His career highlights include

06-07 - 4th at Jr Worlds (age 16)
    07-08 - 4th at Jr Worlds (age 17)
    08-09 - 2nd at US Nationals (senior), 9th at Worlds (age 18)
    09-10 - 6th at US Nationals, 4th at 4 Continents (age 19)
    10-11 - 2nd at Cup of China, 3rd at Bompard, 7th at US Nationals (age 19-20)
    11-12 - 14th at US Nationals (age 21)
    12-13 - 9th at US Nationals (age 22)
    13-14 - 9th at US Nationals (age 23)

In addition to the family issues that may have distracted his mental focus, I think part of it may be dealing with a maturing body. A man in his mid-20s is going to be thicker and heavier than his teenage self, and that is going to make it harder to jump. Heavier bodies need more strength to get good jump height; broader shoulders don't rotate as quickly.

Over the years, we have seen other promising teenagers struggle somewhere in the 19-21 range. (Petrenko in 89, Eldrege in 93, Kulik in 97). Those with good basic jump technique who put in the work are able to come thru it. Even those who continue to compete succcessfully may continue to strugggle with a particular jump. (This is the age Lambiel's 3 axel went AWOL, for example.)

So, my guess is part of the problem is the male counterpart to the puberty monster, kind of like those promising 13 yo girls whose 3 lutzes depart by age 18. It takes a lot of talent, good technique, and a lot of work and determination. If he has found that he isn't motivated enough to put in the time and effort, maybe it is best to move on to something else. If he has retired, at least he walks away instead of ending up on the injured skater scrap heap.

vCash
    Arent he and Jeremy Abbott good friends. Jeremy should have given him more encouragement to make his skating better again.

vCash
    A shame. He had such real potential. I was a fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angelflies View Post
    Arent he and Jeremy Abbott good friends. Jeremy should have given him more encouragement to make his skating better again.
    Jeremy can give him all the encouragement in the world, but it's ultimately Brandon's desicion/responsibility. It shouldn't fall on Jeremy to encourage him.
    Last edited by bronwynsings; 04-16-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: forgot quote

vCash
    The thing I like most about him is his ever present smile. He seems like such a happy person, despite his past family tragedies.
    What tragedies?
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    That was the first I heard of his family tragedies (nubka, see link on page 1), and I feel sorry for him for that, but he is a very boring skater. His Carmen was the most boring I've ever seen in my life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    His Carmen was the most boring I've ever seen in my life.
    How dare you. It was a very realistic portrayal of Escamillo fighting prescription sedative addiction.

vCash
    He looked like one of the U.S and comers several years ago but he has dropped off the face of the earth.
    Brandon Mroz, 2009 U.S. Naitonals Free Skate

Hindsight is 20/20, but I wouldn't say he looks like an up-and-comer when I view that video now.

I see a lot of two-footed skating and shallow edges (if he is even skating on his edges). Jumps aren't everything, and what is there to that program besides jumps?

I can't find a video from this year's Nationals, but here is his Free Skate at Nationals in 2013. His skating skills have not improved much, if at all.

What happened to him and why hasnt he remained a contender, especialy when the U.S men arent even that strong these days.
    The top U.S. men are a lot stronger than he is these days in terms of skating skills, other components, quality of elements, and consistency. Even Max Aaron, who is comparatively weak among this group at skating skills, earns significantly higher marks for that component than Mroz does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Whilst working in Colorado, he seemed very unmotivated. He would have multiple days with no training and if he did go training he would turn up late. He only started training more like a real athlete about 2 weeks before nationals.
    In Tom Z's TSL interview, he was very complimentary of Brandon, especially his jumps. But he kind of admitted that Brandon didn't train very hard. He basically said that Brandon had to decide whether he wanted to get serious or not.

vCash
    Is it possible too that Brandon's training-mates around that time might have had something to do with it? The year after that National medal, Zakrasjek had two skaters on the Junior podium together, both with already exceptional jumps, and one who was being touted as the next big thing. Then the next year, even though one of those two left Zakrasjek, the other was becoming sufficiently credentialled to focus on as the number one skater in his camp.

If you were a coach and have two skaters, one who decides to come to training late or not at all if he doesn't feel like it, and one who works like a fiend, which would you choose?

I was very sad when I watched Brandon at Nationals this year. There was simply nothing there. Brandon made Max look like Jeremy or Jason.

vCash
    DH and were watching Men's SP's on our 2014 Nationals DVD the other day and I said to my husband, "Carlos Santana ought to sue Brandon...for boredom!" Also, "Brandon needs another facial expression. Then he'd have 1."

I can't think of another skater less connected to his music. He's a great jumper, but that's it.

vCash
    I didn't know that about Brandon. It could explain what comes across as a lack of focus in his skating. Looking at his programs, he has some nice qualities in his skating, but it always looks like he could be doing more. Don't think I'd be able to put my complete energies into skating either - I can only imagine the financial and emotional burdens he has been under. Bless him and his family.

vCash
    Jeremy and Brandon are not friends. They only appeared to be for awhile since they shared the same coach, and all training partners are supposed to act chummy.

Brandon is a boring skater, who was nothing but jumps but was never a great jumper like say Max Aaron. He was near the top when the US lacked depth in strength like 2008-2010 but now with the US having such a super deep and strong field he is not a factor.

vCash
    Brandon's fan must be morose.

vCash
    ^^

Quote Originally Posted by fracturedleg View Post
    Jeremy and Brandon are not friends...
    ITA, that's my impression too. In fact, I thought it was rumoured at one time that they didn't get along very well, but water under the bridge by now. Good luck to Brandon in his future endeavours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast