Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Brandon Mroz- what has happened to him

He looked like one of the U.S and comers several years ago but he has dropped off the face of the earth. I had even thought he retired but apparently he is still competing at Nationals, just producing low finishes there now. What happened to him and why hasnt he remained a contender, especialy when the U.S men arent even that strong these days.

vCash
    Mroz landed a 4T in both his 2013 Nationals SP (10th) and FS (10th) for 9th place overall, one of his better showings in recent years. He was assigned to Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy earlier this month (his first international since landing the first ISU competition 4Lz in his SP at 2011 NHK Trophy) but was not successful with the quad or many of his other jumps and finished 4th (he attained the 2013 Worlds minimum TES in the SP but not in the FS).

ETA a correction: NHK Trophy was before Rostelecom Cup in the fall of 2011.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-19-2013 at 02:05 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    To be honest, he only cares about the jumps and that just barely. I honestly have no idea why he's still around if he doesn't like to skate.

vCash
    Brandon showed promise as a junior and in his 1st year as a Senior, when he finished ahead of Lysacek and Weir at '09 Nationals, and ahead of Abbott at Worlds to be the #2 US man there. I do agree with the post above that because he treats his programs like an X competition to see what type of Quad he can land, he has neglected his skating abilities, and his credibility with the USFSA in general. I was going to say that he would benefit in a new environment, but it could be that Tom Z may have given up on him and it's up to Brandon to decide that he wants to be a complete skater, not just a daredevil

vCash
    Sure he won a silver medal at US nationals in 2009 and made it to worlds but was on track to do even better in 2011 but dislocated his should but still competed. This was after he won 2 medals in the GP season! Early 2009 and late 2010 were good but since then he can't get the consistency to do jumps well. That is the major thing. Whatever was going on for the 2010 GP was working great so maybe it's the shoulder? Or just so intent on doing more quad Lutz's. So you have some problems but showed he can recover from depths. He will probably qualify for 2014 nationals just like he qualified for 2013 nationals. He placed 9th which was not his worst. His worst is 14th in 2012.

vCash
    I use his programs as a sleep aid.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I use his programs as a sleep aid.
    That is a mean thing to say. If I'm understanding correctly, mean-ness is against the FSU rules.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Yes, it is a mean thing to say. But is it any meaner than calling a skater a "fridge break"? Both are mean, IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    That is a mean thing to say. If I'm understanding correctly, mean-ness is against the FSU rules.

But I will say this....contributing a quad lutz to competitive figure skating is not a bad accomplishment.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    But I will say this....contributing a quad lutz to competitive figure skating is not a bad accomplishment.
    Fine. I will quit with my first draft of "BAN SIOUXDONYM FROM FSU" petition. But mark my words. You are being watched.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    He'll probably end up as one of the footnotes in skating history like Vern Taylor

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Sure he won a silver medal at US nationals in 2009 and made it to worlds but was on track to do even better in 2011 but dislocated his should but still competed. This was after he won 2 medals in the GP season! Early 2009 and late 2010 were good but since then he can't get the consistency to do jumps well. That is the major thing. Whatever was going on for the 2010 GP was working great so maybe it's the shoulder? Or just so intent on doing more quad Lutz's. So you have some problems but showed he can recover from depths. He will probably qualify for 2014 nationals just like he qualified for 2013 nationals. He placed 9th which was not his worst. His worst is 14th in 2012.
    After I posted, I remembered the 2 medals on the GP circuit in the Fall of 2010. He worked w/ Sandra Bezic IIRC that year. Perhaps that made a difference (but not sure whom he worked with since then). I stand by my statement that he needs to focus really hard on other elements of skating besides the 'hardest quads'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxRose81 View Post
    To be honest, he only cares about the jumps and that just barely. I honestly have no idea why he's still around if he doesn't like to skate.
    The problem is that he seems to have lost part of his jumps too !

vCash
    Whilst working in Colorado, he seemed very unmotivated. He would have multiple days with no training and if he did go training he would turn up late. He only started training more like a real athlete about 2 weeks before nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Whilst working in Colorado, he seemed very unmotivated. He would have multiple days with no training and if he did go training he would turn up late. He only started training more like a real athlete about 2 weeks before nationals.
    Sounds a lot like Bowman. Hopefully he's just unmotivated and doesn't have any of Bowman's other issues!

vCash

Re: Brandon Mroz- what has happened to him

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Sounds a lot like Bowman. Hopefully he's just unmotivated and doesn't have any of Bowman's other issues!
    I guess the main difference is that Bowman had enough natural talent and charisma to get away with horrible training habits (for a while at least). Mroz isn't as talented a skater and he has zero charisma when skating.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Mroz was lucky in 09, had Lysacek and Weir been in top condition at Nats, Mroz would had finished with the pewter.- in my opinion.

vCash
    Brandon has had a very rough life. See his bio at http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100076. His mother and brother were nearly killed in a car accident, and his brother suffers from a spinal cord injury. It's not surprising that his focus may be on other things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Mroz was lucky in 09, had Lysacek and Weir been in top condition at Nats, Mroz would had finished with the pewter.- in my opinion.
    Who knows for sure. I dont think the judges were ever giving Weir the title over Abbott that year no matter how well he skated. Evan maybe could have, since Abbott had mistakes in the LP, but the SP showed they were going to go with Jeremy if both skated cleanly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    Brandon has had a very rough life. See his bio at http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100076. His mother and brother were nearly killed in a car accident, and his brother suffers from a spinal cord injury. It's not surprising that his focus may be on other things.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Never count anyone out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast