Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Satellite pictures of before and after the explosion:

Picture on the left is prior to the explosion...The one on the right shows the devastation the explosion caused.

ETA: NBC Article regarding amount of Ammonium Nitrate stored at plant "that would normally trigger safety oversight by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)."

'Red flag': Texas plant had 1,350 times amount of chemical that would trigger oversight
    Last edited by Cyn; 04-22-2013 at 06:14 AM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

vCash
    I feel bad for the people of West, Tx. Normally this would have received a lot of coverage in our news media. Due to the events in Boston, it's not getting much coverage, and possibly not getting a lot of help, other than the locals.

vCash
    Actually I saw a news piece on CNN about the damage, the victims, and they are getting a lot of aid. But you are right about the news coverage not being nearly what I would have.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I hope that those missing have indeed been accounted for; and that the death toll doesn't rise, as they are able to investigate the areas nearest the source of the fire/explosion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless
    There are reports that the plant was storing 1,350-times the amount of ammonium nitrate that would normally trigger oversight by the Department of Homeland Security, but failed to comply with reporting requirements. DHS didn't even know the plant existed until it exploded.
    I call bullsh*t on DHS not knowing the plant existed. This is exactly why Dept of Homeland Security is a completely worthless entity. Why didn't they know? That company didn't sneak all that ammonium nitrate into the plant in the dead of night or buy it under the table. DHS should have known & should have been monitoring it. I do blame the company the most though - they should have trained the local fire dept on the proper procedures during a fire. That fire probably needed chemicals, not water.

Some sources are trying to blame the FBI for not stopping the Boston bombings but IMO that is what DHS should have done. When people in the US have ties to extremist terrorist groups the DHS should be watching them & stopping them. And BTW, I don't really give a sh*t about the "civil rights" of terrorists. If it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck, there's a really good chance it is a duck.

vCash
    Touching story about people helping the town. Ten of the 14 dead were first responders.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/21/us/tex...html?hpt=hp_t3

The scary thing is they may never find the remains of some people that were killed. So if someone is missing, he/she is likely dead.

vCash
    The news had earlier talked about a tanker of ammonium nitrate perhaps being what caused the explosion. They've now ruled that out. The tanker didn't cause the explosion:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...sSector&rpc=43
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash

vCash
    There is a memorial service today which will be attended by both the president and First Lady.

http://www.abc57.com/video/President...204628891.html
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234