Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    How close are the homes, school and nursing home to this fertilizer plant? Don't they separate industrial and residential areas in Texas?
    As other people have answered, this is a very small town- so there isn't much distance between anything.

That said, there are a few cities in Texas that have no zoning laws (not sure if Houston still doesn't but for a long time they didn't- they were definetly the most notable example). It is rare, but I think it is a hold back from not wanting any regulation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    A friend just reported her 90-year old Uncle is still missing from the nursing home

I can't imagine how devestating this is for West.
    Thinking of you, and everyone else affected by the tragedy.

vCash
    I was staying at the Hilton Anatole (on work) in Dallas last night and I felt the explosion. I called down to the front desk to see if there had been an earthquake and they politely laughed at me.

I was sure there had been a small earthquke and figured it would just take time for it to be reported.

Turns out this explosion created a small seismic event. I am afraid to see how high the death toll climbs. It will take days to search all that rubble.

vCash
    My friend's Uncle has been located. He had been transferred to a nursing home about 20 minutes away. It is crazy how even such a small town takes time to figure out where everyone is. You'd almost think they could just have a roll call!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I was staying at the Hilton Anatole (on work) in Dallas last night and I felt the explosion. I called down to the front desk to see if there had been an earthquake and they politely laughed at me.

I was sure there had been a small earthquke and figured it would just take time for it to be reported.

Turns out this explosion created a small seismic event. I am afraid to see how high the death toll climbs. It will take days to search all that rubble.
    Wow! That is really far. They were reporting 70 miles but Dallas is over 100 miles (highway) from Waco and West is 20 miles north of Waco (from the reports), so it sounds like the blast was felt even further than 70 miles.

My friend's Uncle has been located. He had been transferred to a nursing home about 20 minutes away. It is crazy how even such a small town takes time to figure out where everyone is. You'd almost think they could just have a roll call!
    I am sure there was so much chaos there that people didn't even get close to the nursing home for a long time. From the pictures on TV it looked like it was completely gone. Glad to hear your friend's uncle is safe.

vCash
    Thank goodness!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I'm glad your friend's Uncle has been found and that he's safe Skittl1321.

The pictures that have been shown, along w/the footage, is just unbelievable. The one piece of footage I saw, showed how one house was just a smouldering pile of wreckage, the building to the one side had globs of plastic on it that came from the building on the other side of the wrecked home and was that other house's plastic siding that was nothing more than a hanging mess of plastic....globbiness for lack of a better word.

One doctor I heard last night was just so close to breaking down and he kept saying, "I know my EMT's are gone, I know our Firefighters are gone..." Heartbreaking does not even come close to it.

vCash
    Another sad day ... too many lately! Thinking of all those affected by Boston and now Waco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    That article noted a small amount of looting?? what are people looting? The chemicals? Eeek.
    If they did, they are taking big risks with their lives. Not only is there the obvious danger (more explosions/toxic chemicals) but even away from the site, I am sure the air quality has been impacted negatively for several miles and possibly several towns & cities. Breathing the polluted air would be my concern even if I was not near the plant.

vCash
    My guess is anyone looting is taking stuff from stores whose windows were blown out. I don't think they would even be able to get close to the chemical facility due to authorities, and even if they could, I doubt there is much left to take.

vCash
    Roll calls would be nice, but in evacuation and rescue situations that is not always possible. I worked on the receiving end for nursing home patients received during Hurricane Katrina. The pilots were bringing in plane after plane of people to us. They said they literally just opened the doors and let anyone and everyone on who was standing there until it was full. The hope is that on the other end someone is accounting for each person, but in the cases of nursing home patients they don't always come with medical charts and sometimes cannot even tell their own name.

vCash
    My thoughts and prayers to the people of Waco.

vCash
    Willie Nelson grew up in Abbott, TX...5 miles north of West:

Billboard ‏@billboard2h
    Willie Nelson prays for site of Texas explosion: "My backyard all my life" – http://blbrd.co/15ibXVY
    I live about 60 miles SE of Austin; the local news is all about this tragedy. It looks like the town was hit by a tornado.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    CNN is reporting that the Mayor of West has confirmed that a Dallas Fire Capt who lived in West and as soon as the Fire broke out headed to the scene to help, is among those killed. AFAIK, this is the first of those First Responders who has been identified as having been killed on duty, but I have a very sad feeling he won't be the last.

Condolences to his Family and my thoughts and prayers to all in the area.

I said it last night, but...What a horrific week so far.

vCash
    What is frightening is this company has had reported safety breaches in the past. When the investigation is done the sh*t is going to hit the fan.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Do they know yet how many has been killed?

vCash
    Reports have been around 15 but I think there saying they have a little more ground to cover for recovery.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    How Terrible! Let's hope the causality numbers do not get higher. Prayers to the victims and the entire town of West.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    What is frightening is this company has had reported safety breaches in the past. When the investigation is done the sh*t is going to hit the fan.
    Really? All the articles I read have said they have a pretty clean record, just a few minor infractions- which pretty much every company would have.

Based on the condition of the town, I think the shit has already hit the fan...

vCash
    They said last night that they had a lapsed certificate, or something like that, 5 or so years ago but they rectified that situation. I haven't heard of any other safety breaches.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast