Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Fertilizer Plant Explosion in Waco, West Texas

I was watching the 10pm edition of Anderson 360 on CNN when the news broke. Piers just finished speaking w/the Mayor and he was saying there's a five mile radius of homes and other buildings collapsed, including a nursing home and apartment. There's also another tank at the Plant that is *still* filled at the Plant and obviously they're worried about it going too.

Guys, this is *bad* just from the little that's been reported so far. This area's also got mainly Volunteer Firefighters and they're doing the best they can to keep things from becoming much worse, which it would become if that other tank goes up. In fact, that was the reason why the Mayor had to cut his phone interview w/Piers, because he's part of the Volunteer Fire Dept.

Keep those brave Men and Women in your prayers right now and the entire area in your Prayers for the foreseeable future.

Dear God...What a horrific week this has been so far...

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    CNN and MSNBC both had extensive coverage. It's horrifying. About 80 homes have been impacted. They expect many casualties but have not released any numbers yet. The images of the burning area are scary.

I lived in Austin once, and Waco is about 100 miles from there. This little town West, Tx (funny name) is something that I had never heard of. On the TV they said that the explosion was felt 70 miles away! There could still be a second explosion, so they are being very careful.

So this week we had- 1)bomb explosions at the Boston Marathon (terrorism- domestic or international), 2)Ricin in mail for a senator and the president, 3)Explosion in Texas (does not sound like a terrorist attack)

What next? Need some good news now.

vCash
    OMFG!!!! Dozens could be dead including volunteer firemen, residents of an apartment building which was levelled, and residents of a nursing home.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Horrific.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Firemen and women are heroes.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    The footage I saw of this was unbelievable. Just terrible. Fertiliser is dangerous stuff. Being involved in safety I will be interested to see what the outcome of the investigation will be.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Truly horrific. One clarification that can be confusing in the news reports, the explosion appears to be in a city called "West" near Waco, Texas. "West Texas" is used generically to describe the west part of the state which is hours away. The town "West, Texas" is south of Dallas.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Awful. I woke up to this news this morning, and it's a very strange feeling watching it from across the pond and knowing that most of my US based friends don't know yet, and are about to wake up to it. Horrific.

There is footage of the actual explosion, too. BBC is saying more than 100 casualties. Given the size of the explosion, I'm really surprised it's not more
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    I am so sad to hear this. West is a teeny little town, just a drive through for most people. I frequently drove through it to get from Austin to Waco. There was a little gas station called the Czech Stop that had the greatest kolaches in the world. They have a very strong Czech community there- a college roommate has a lot of extended family in West. He scholarships were all from the West Czech club.

She has an uncle who is fire chief (?) there and he says they expect to evacuate the entire town.

She said on her facebook today she heard 70 deaths, so I was surprised to see MSNBC reporting 5-15. I really hope the lower number is right, but I fear it is not.

vCash
    This is just awful, they are reporting many firefighters missing as they were at the scene already trying to put out the original fire before the explosion.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    This is just awful, they are reporting many firefighters missing as they were at the scene already trying to put out the original fire before the explosion.
    That's what I suspected. Just awful.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Jesus. Five blocks of destruction all around. You do not fcuk with chemicals.

THINGS. STOP BLOWING UP.

How many other small towns are like this, at the mercy of a dangerous chemical plant? We just had lab safety day at my work, but the worst that happens is that someone sets their lab bench on fire. We're a biology lab - nothing blows up. You seriously do no fcuk with chemicals. Especially large amounts of them. Devastating.

vCash
    A friend just reported her 90-year old Uncle is still missing from the nursing home

I can't imagine how devestating this is for West.

vCash
    That article noted a small amount of looting?? what are people looting? The chemicals? Eeek.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    How close are the homes, school and nursing home to this fertilizer plant? Don't they separate industrial and residential areas in Texas? It sounds, from the written descriptions, (I haven't had a chance to see any pics other than one of a big fire and plume of smoke), that the plant is pretty much right beside all the homes. Is this the case?

vCash
    Very concentrated town center there. I stopped at one of the famous bakeries while on an Austin to Waco BBQ binge.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    How close are the homes, school and nursing home to this fertilizer plant? Don't they separate industrial and residential areas in Texas? It sounds, from the written descriptions, (I haven't had a chance to see any pics other than one of a big fire and plume of smoke), that the plant is pretty much right beside all the homes. Is this the case?
    One of the first reports I heard last night described the nursing home as essentially being a block or two away from the plant. The town's population is less than 3,000, so I think that everything is likely pretty close together.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    My father worked in agribusiness. In one small town we lived in, teenagers thought it was a great prank to sneak into the anhydrous plant and turn the valves to start leaks. If we were gone for the evening and driving back into town at night in warm weather months, my dad would routinely stop there to check for leaks and often find some. He had his assistant manager do the same. It was his nightmare that they would cause a major leak, spray themselves (anhydrous burns are horrific), or trip something that would lead to an explosion. However, the way the tanks are generally designed (and the news article I read notes this) major leaks are the biggest hazard.

Dad was finally able to persuade the board at the company to install security so that kids trying to get in there tripped an alarm. He spent the beginning of that spring going out there to check it and reset the alarms every other night, but then they stopped.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast