7 2.24%
  • Miki Ando

6 1.92%
  • Peggy Fleming

1 0.32%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    I would think giving Kim Clijsters the GOAT is more questionable than considering Yuna Kim the best female skater.
    You beat me to the punch with this one! I'm surprised anyone would even admit to proclaiming that Kim Clijsters is the GOAT in tennis!! That is just TOO funny!!!!!!

vCash
    KimGOAT = kwanlysacek = Andofanatic (who created this thread and is a yuna hater pretending to be an ando fan) = ...

To be continued...
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 04-20-2013 at 10:03 AM.

vCash
    Hmmm... I wonder if KimGOAT/Kwanlysacek/Andofanatic is ESTA's disowned 2nd generation naughty cousin fresh off the boat. He/She/It clearly have the black mark for Yuna, never mind Ms Kim Yu Na continues to be black mark resistant since Korean cosmetics are known to be light years ahead in the anti-black spots whitening solution multi-billlion dollar industry. Or that she is currently on a streak of going 'clean'.

It is a lost cause really.

May be it would be wiser to focus on watching a bit more tennis instead. How about create a poll on: is Kim the greatest tennis player of all time and annoy someone else on the tennisthrashinguniverse.com instead?

vCash
    Michelle Kwan is my choice.

vCash
    Oksana Baiul should be on the poll, although she is not the greatest female skater.
    Baiul is the only top-level female skater in history who is ‘near‘ to true artist. (Interestingly there is no true artist in ladies discipline unlike men.) Of course, unfortunately Baiul did not actualize fully her potential as an artist.
    Last edited by t.mann; 04-20-2013 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    Oksana Baiul should be on the poll, although she is not the greatest female skater.
    Baiul is the only top-level female skater in history who is ‘near‘ to true artist. (Interestingly there is no true artist in ladies discipline unlike men.) Of course, unfortunately Baiul did not actualize fully her potential as an artist.
    I agree. Oksana had a presence on the ice that very few skaters have ever had. She could skate to Swan lake one moment then do an exhibition program to Michael Jackson. And she had it at such a young age. There is no teaching what she had.

vCash
    It's funny that whenever I see Andofanatic's poll, I can always see an evil intention.

vCash
    Sonja Henie. Undefeated in 10 years and gave birth to professional ice shows.

vCash
    [This Post Intentionally Blank.]
    Last edited by RickInSanJose; 04-20-2013 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    I can see about the only intention for certain handful of posters (with multi ids, probably) who create the polls of this kind over and over is: to solicit negative comments and controversies on certain skater(s). And it’ll never end!

I didn’t make a pick. But, since it was set up again by an obvious Yu-Na hater, and me being a Yu-Na fan, my two cents: Kim is already among the greats like Lynn, Witt, Yamaguchi and Kwan.

There have been only a few skaters who can match or better Kim in ANY ONE of the following categories:

Power
    Speed
    Precision / Control
    Elegance / Grace
    Performance finesse
    Performance versatility
    Body of quality works
    Competition records
    Consistency
    Dominance
    Mental strength
    Intangibles / Star quality (wow factor)

She’s on an amazing tour de force.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    I can see about the only intention for certain handful of posters (with multi ids, probably) who create the polls of this kind over and over is: to solicit negative comments and controversies on certain skater(s). And it’ll never end!
    + so that people would not like to root for Yuna in Sochi journey, or in order to jinx her (according to an explanation by Andofanatic).
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 04-21-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Sonja Henie. Undefeated in 10 years and gave birth to professional ice shows.
    That must have been painful.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    That must have been painful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The womens is done so often probably since it is the only discipline that it is interesting to make a poll on. There is no obvious consensus best ever. The mens, pairs, and dance would be boring as all 3 have a huge consensus best ever.
    Dance: K/P and T/D, probably. Though I think we'd see a huge bias towards the Olympic era (1976 onwards), leaving three 4-time world champions in the cold.

Pairs: G/G and the Protopopovs, with a nod towards Irina Rodnina.

Men: I'd be interested to see how the consensus would be formed here, and I think one consensus favourite (Dick Button) suffers from the same thing that Henie does - his achievements all happened a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Without Henie, there is no modern womens' figure skating. She defined the sport and is pretty much the ONLY figure skater pre-Flemming (sticking with the women) anyone who isn't a massive skating nerd has ever heard of. Innovative jumps for her time and figures, which most of the modern women would at best struggle with. Dominant in a way Yu Na hasn't been yet, without taking long breaks.

(Miki Ando? And, to be fair, Kristi Yamaguchi?)
    Of course, we could point out that Henie would struggle with the athletic requirements of modern figure skating. We could argue that her dominance was just as much due to chicanery and odd structure, etc.

vCash
    Well, this poll speaks the truth, doesn't it?

Miki Ando: 5
    Janet Lynn: 4
    Dorothy Hamill: 1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post

Wheeee !
    Miki Ando is 5-time better than Dorothy Hamill !

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    Wanda Beazel gets my vote
    Oh yeah. She gets my vote, too!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Wanda Beezle

vCash
    Has to be Yu Na Kim. Nobody in the triple jump era (the era beginning with Witt`s retirement) has dominated to the extent of Yu Na, including Kwan. If one wants to compare Kwan to Kim I believe Kwan lost 16 times in 8 seasons in her prime (1996-2003) while Kim has lost only 6 times in 6 seasons in her prime (2007-2013 excluding the 2011-2012 season). This despite that Kim had much tougher competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKPRINCESS View Post

Those that votes for Lynn and Hamill are sane individuals, but unfortunately most of the sane individuals are favoring Kim and Kwan so they are losing all their votes to them. The 5 that voted for Ando are insane individuals thus belong in a seperate category. If the poll only had Ando, Lynn, and Hamill, and who was the best of those 3 Ando would still have only 5 votes (the same 5 people) and the other two would have over 100.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast