• Kristi Yamaguchi

7 2.24%
  • Miki Ando

6 1.92%
  • Peggy Fleming

1 0.32%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Why wasn't Madge Sayre on the poll? If she wasn't able to hold her own against the big boys, like Ulrich Salcow, there wouldn't be a ladies single event.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Why wasn't Madge Sayre on the poll? If she wasn't able to hold her own against the big boys, like Ulrich Salcow, there wouldn't be a ladies single event.
    IIRC a male World Champion knew she actually performed better and gave her his gold medal.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Ad nauseam ... the inventor of the layback spin and camel spin as well as the first lady to perform a double jump and first to perform a one footed Axel by anyone should be on this list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLVM-Hjzwc
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-18-2013 at 06:45 AM.

vCash
    Ando is there but No Carolina ???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    Ando is there but No Carolina ???
    Get over it.

vCash
    No Janet Lynn love? Seriously? She got my vote.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    IIRC a male World Champion knew she actually performed better and gave her his gold medal.
    Wasn't that Salchow himself, in 1902?

vCash
    Heh de ja vous or what!!! I vote for ... MIKI ANDO!!!

vCash
    How many people want to bet there will be at least 5 more variations of this poll before the end of the summer?

vCash
    AT LEAST 7!!!!!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    How many people want to bet there will be at least 5 more variations of this poll before the end of the summer?
    Hopefully the next one will have better poll options. It is terrible how many of the sports legends were left out and in favor of people like Miki freaking Ando, please!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Should there be a poll on that?

vCash
    The womens is done so often probably since it is the only discipline that it is interesting to make a poll on. There is no obvious consensus best ever. The mens, pairs, and dance would be boring as all 3 have a huge consensus best ever.

vCash
    Fans need to respect the history of FS!!

Sonja Henie hands down! 14 Nationals, 8 Europeans, 10 World Golds, 3 Olympic Golds, International movie star (was #3 box office draw in 1938, only behind Shirley Temple and Clark Gable) who put figure skating on the map. She introduced dance routines into free-skating, was the first woman to wear short skirts above the knee, and had 19 different spins in her repertoire.

Yes, it's difficult to compare a skater from the 1920's-30's to those today. Still, how can someone as legendary as Henie not be considered the best in history??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Fans need to respect the history of FS!!
    [...]
    Yes, it's difficult to compare a skater from the 1920's-30's to those today. Still, how can someone as legendary as Henie not be considered the best in history??
    Because it's not the most decorated contest.
    And you know, Usain Bolt is better than Jesse Owens, as Gabrielle Douglas is better than Larissa Latynina

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Without Henie, there is no modern womens' figure skating. She defined the sport and is pretty much the ONLY figure skater pre-Flemming (sticking with the women) anyone who isn't a massive skating nerd has ever heard of. Innovative jumps for her time and figures, which most of the modern women would at best struggle with. Dominant in a way Yu Na hasn't been yet, without taking long breaks.

(Miki Ando? And, to be fair, Kristi Yamaguchi?)

vCash
    to danceronice!

vCash
    How the hell is Kim winning this poll. Two requirements for best ever should be:

1. Be the best in history at atleast one aspect of skating, preferably more than one.
    2. Have absolutely no weak aspects to your skating.

Kim doesnt even fulfill 1 of those 2 requirements. She isnt the best in any aspect of skating.

Jumps- Ito and Harding are better. Maybe Ando, Asada, and Slutskaya as well.
    Spins- LOL
    Footwork- Not even close.
    Spirals- LOL

Musicality- Good, but Kwan and Chen were better here. Janet Lynn probably was too.
    Lines and positions- she sucks
    Posture- she sucks
    Basic skating- Excellent, but even in her own era Kostner and maybe Lepisto are better.
    Elegance and Grace- She is very strong here but Lynn, Fleming, Cohen, and maybe Asada are all better.
    Maturity and Sophistication- In recent times I would rate Chen and Butyrskaya superior here.
    Choreography- Not best ever.
    Personality on ice- Not even close.

As for weaknesses her spins, spirals, positions and line, and posture are all weak. So she has many weaknesses in her skating, and isnt the best ever at anything.

BTW my username and the GOAT (greatest of all time) was about the tennis player Kim Clijsters, not the figure skater Yu Na Kim, in case anyone is surprised at my post given my name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    How the hell is Kim winning this poll. Two requirements for best ever should be:

1. Be the best in history at atleast one aspect of skating, preferably more than one.
    2. Have absolutely no weak aspects to your skating.
    I think you can just go ahead and vote for any other skater you love/admire, no need to spend time to ask others why they vote for their idol

This is a poll in forum, seriously, you will win if you have ton of fans, just don't care anything else

So, my bias is Kim Yuna and I voted for her, it's not your business, the end!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    How the hell is Kim winning this poll.
    BTW my username and the GOAT (greatest of all time) was about the tennis player Kim Clijsters, not the figure skater Yu Na Kim, in case anyone is surprised at my post given my name.
    I would think giving Kim Clijsters the GOAT is more questionable than considering Yuna Kim the best female skater.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast