7 2.24%
  • Miki Ando

6 1.92%
  • Peggy Fleming

1 0.32%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabybackhand View Post
    Those that votes for Lynn and Hamill are sane individuals, but unfortunately most of the sane individuals are favoring Kim and Kwan so they are losing all their votes to them. The 5 that voted for Ando are insane individuals thus belong in a seperate category. If the poll only had Ando, Lynn, and Hamill, and who was the best of those 3 Ando would still have only 5 votes (the same 5 people) and the other two would have over 100.
    That is true !
    If we were to rank every skater, the results would be different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    That is true !
    I think most would pick as their top 5 in no particular order Kim, Kwan, Ito, Witt, and Lynn. Bottom 5 of top 10 would probably be Henjie, Fleming, Hamill, Madge Syers, and one other skater (take your pick between Slutskaya, Yamaguchi, Colledge, Szabo, or Asada).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    That is true !
    Yeah ... THE ORDINALS MIGHT FLIP

vCash
    Really tough choice, but I went with Michelle Kwan. Since the OGM is not a requirement to be considered the best skater, my vote goes to the all-around skater who was technically consistent and artistically brilliant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post

Of course, we could point out that Henie would struggle with the athletic requirements of modern figure skating.
    Who says? The only reason she was doing single jumps is because she didn't need to do anything more than that at that time.

FYI, she actually participated/competed in a number of sports outside of skating, finishing 2nd one year in Norway's national tennis championships. She even tried her hand at auto racing (in the pre-power steering era!). And I've seen pictures of her when she was in her mid-fifties; she was in the same physical shape as when she she was competing in skating.

vCash
    Cecelia Colledge was a better skater than Henjie IMO. Herma Szabo possibly was too. I have seen tapes of skaters from that era, and Henjie doesnt stand out as being by far the best to me even from people of that era. There are stories she benefited hugely from politics to win every event like she did and I certainly believe that was the case.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Cecelia Colledge was a better skater than Henjie IMO. Herma Szabo possibly was too. I have seen tapes of skaters from that era, and Henjie doesnt stand out as being by far the best to me even from people of that era. There are stories she benefited hugely from politics to win every event like she did and I certainly believe that was the case.
    You act as if Cecelia could have won the 1936 Olympics if, after placing an exceptionally close 2nd in figures, she had not been placed 2nd of 26 in the freeskating order while Sonja got the 26th position in a judging system that called for saving room.

vCash
    Didnt Ceclia`s music not be played properly at the start too. Funny coincidence that is, along with the 2nd of 26 draw while Sonja drew 26 of 26.

vCash
    Yuna!!! She is the best for me. I love so much what she's doing on the ice.

vCash
    First off, it's spelled Henie, no "j". And are you comparing figures or free skating? Because IIRC figures counted for something like 70% of the score at that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    First off, it's spelled Henie, no "j". And are you comparing figures or free skating? Because IIRC figures counted for something like 70% of the score at that time.
    AND ... the scores in figures between the two were so close that Henie threw a Diva hissy fit in the skaters' lounge and tore the scores down. The Austrian judge tied the two.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 04-25-2013 at 05:57 AM.

vCash
    Maybe Henie feared for Cecilia`s free skating ability and felt she needed a bigger lead than that after figures. Then had Cecilia not drawn so early to skate, had her music started playing improperly, and nearly fell at the start of her performance, that likely would have proved to be the case. Such a shame due to the War Colledge never won Olympic Gold.

vCash
    What is funny is Kim is winning this poll more easily with a bigger margin than my own poll of if she would be best ever with her 2nd Olympic Gold. I guess that means posters conclude her legacy is lowered if she wins the Olympics next year. I guess that is one reason to cheer for Kim to win the Olympics next year if Ando cant then, it makes her a lesser champion according to experts.

vCash
    Kim is the best female skater in history? I was surprised. This is nonsense to me.
    She is superb than Midori Ito, Sonja Henjie, Peggy Fleming? which part?artistry?technically?

In this list, she can be placed above than only Slutskaya and miki.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    Kim is the best female skater in history? I was surprised. This is nonsense to me.
    She is superb than Midori Ito, Sonja Henjie, Peggy Fleming? which part?artistry?technically?

Well, it's nonsense to you, but very make sense to me and (so many) others

For me Yuna is super perfect than almost all of them just slighly less technical jump than Midori Ito, but has much higher artistry quality than her. Yuna 's artistry is equal with Kwan's, but Kwan's technical no way stronger than hers. Let alone the rest

If you didn't find artistry from Yuna, sorry, it's your problem, not me

If you think any other skater is the best in history who is not named Yuna Kim, just go ahead and vote! Yuna has so much fans voted for her, it's not her fault

vCash

haha.. stop bothering Andofanatic, your colleague.

vCash
    There seems to be a huge disrespect to past champions. Kim, Kwan, and Slutskaya are the top 3 on the poll but I dont think that is really accurate to history. There are many skaters who achieved more than all 3 of those.

vCash
    Yu Na Kim for now but if Mao Asada can pull an upset and win the 2014 Olympics, 2014 Worlds on home ice, and continues skating it would be her. Mao is IMO the most artistice female skater ever, and while her jump quality is nowhere near Kim, Ito, or Harding she attempts and often cleanly executed past the most difficult jump layouts in history, and combines that with superb spins, great footwork, and some of the best ever spirals.

vCash
    It is sad to see a poll like this and Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, and Peggy Fleming with only 1 vote each and Irina Slutskaya with 10. So much partiality by people towards the recent stars (Kim, Kwan, Slutskaya) and against more past champions who were equally great or even greater in their own eras. Miki Ando on a poll like this and Madge Syers, Carol Heiss, and Herma Szabo not on it? A travesty.
    It's likely that people vote for the person they are most familiar with. I didn't see Hamill and Fleming, among others. Only heard about them or saw snatches of a skate. So I voted for who I thought was "best" out of those I have been able to see skate several times. It's just a poll of a few people, what does it really mean? I like this skater, you like another. At this time in history there are so many highly accomplished skaters, a poll has to be just for fun.

vCash

Really. Janet Lynn also had better lines, more musicality, smoother edge and flow. I am not voting in this poll because it has been repeated so many times. Here is a question: where would Yu Na rank without her triple-triple?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast