vCash

The Skating Lesson Interview with Jeremy Abbott

I didn't see a thread for this recent TSL interview with Jeremy Abbott; skatesindreams and Sylvia posted the link in other threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=1vrB9octh0k

vCash
    I posted the link in the Program Music/Choreographers thread earlier today:

Jeremy Abbott talks about his 2013-14 season programs in the first part of his TSL interview (starting ~2 minute mark): http://www.theskatinglesson.com/jere...ott-interview/
    Excerpts from what he said about working with Robin Cousins (he has yet to reveal his SP music):
    Basically I started skating after I saw him perform... This being my last competitive season I just wanted to bring it all full circle... Wanted to work with someone who is... [about] purely skating, he's gorgeous to watch... and I was hoping to gain a little bit of knowledge from an Olympic champion. We wanted to do a slight homage to Gene Kelly so it's a lot of footwork... The music is very upbeat, it's a lot of fun and it's really exciting... I hope it's entertaining.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^^ Yes, thanks. I enjoyed that part of the interview.

Also interesting is Jeremy's discussion re changing his diet and how his metabolism is not the same (meaning he did not shed the usual number of extra pounds during training last season, which he referred to as in some ways impacting his ability to effectively train and land his quads). Of course, he also had back problems that impacted him last season which he briefly talks about.

I wonder what Jeremy was referring to when he said he puts sri sacha (sp?) on everything. Does anyone else know what food or topping he's talking about?

Jeremy is so honest in revealing his feelings about what happened during the 2010 Olympic season. It's too bad he wasn't able to get a handle on how to deal with the pressure of people telling him after 2010 Nationals that he could win the Olympics if he skated the same way in Vancouver. IMO, the lesson to learn: Try not to identify so much with what other random people say. Get your guidance and your source of strength from within.

And of course it's always great to gain inspiration and encouragement from someone like Robin Cousins!

I noticed that Dave and Jenny have also posted an interview with Dr. Caroline Silby, a sports psychologist who works with Jeremy and other athletes in various sports. She's worked with a number of Olympians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbZ3ea4lgI

vCash
    They're posting and doing interviews too quickly--can't keep up!!

Sriracha is a sort of hot condiment. So Jeremy must be a spicy food junkie now.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    ^^ Thanks LilJen. I'll have to check out Sriracha. I do love soy sauce, which Jenny mentioned. But are these healthy condiments?

Probably Jeremy should transfer some of that spice to the ice in the form of inner determination and finding the zone. Only he can do it for himself. Again, no matter what happens, I just want to enjoy watching Jeremy in his last season.

ETA:

BTW, yes, I love all the interviews too but I wonder re TSL's overall strategy and planning. Is it just catch everyone who might be available, as catch can? I'm not saying that's a bad strategy, if it is their plan. It does look like they are leaving more in-depth interviews for former skaters and for coaches and others in the skating community outside of active skaters whose time is obviously limited.

Under the new interview with the sports psychologist apparently Dave and Jenny are focusing on a separate part of TSL involving talking with nutritionists, trainers and psychologists to discuss the importance of those aspects of preparation for athletes to perform well.

I wonder how Dave and Jenny make time for all of this and also still manage to make a living? I do appreciate their passionate efforts with TSL. Maybe I should go to their site to see if they've talked more about their overall plans for TSL.

And here's a link to TSL's discussion with a nutritionist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7zAs_5cX98
    Last edited by aftershocks; 05-27-2013 at 02:48 AM.

vCash
    The reason the interviews with the former skaters are more in-depth is because they can talk more freely. They don't have to face the people they are talking about at the rink the next day. Dave had said when they started the project that he thought that would be the case.

They did ask Frank Carroll if he would like to screen his questions, but he said he was too old to worry about what people think of him.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 05-27-2013 at 05:00 AM.

vCash
    They did ask Frank Carroll if he would like to screen his questions, but he said he was too old to worry about what people think of him.
    Even more for Frank.

vCash
    Jenny Kirk replied in the Comments section of Abbott's interview on the TSL site that "these interviews [with current skaters] are usually shorter in length and do not cover the athlete’s entire career."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yes, thanks, aliceanne, I get the fact why Dave and Jenny aren't doing in-depth interviews with eligible skaters (with those skaters' limited time being one of the factors). I'm sure Dave and Jenny pose their questions to current skaters in keeping with the fact that such skaters are still competing and thus constrained from speaking too freely.

Thanks to you too, Sylvia. I did not see Jenny's comment. I definitely understand why interviews with skaters like Jeremy, who are currently competing, would be shorter in length.

My earlier reflections were really more about TSL's overall strategy. It seems they are figuring out a lot of stuff as they go merrily about the business of building quite an archive of entertaining and informative broadcasts. I happened to see Dave's and Jenny's hilarious interviews with each other posted on youtube as well. Their discussion with each other is certainly a fine and funny way for them to provide more insight into their own personalities, into how they got hooked up and also to provide some really interesting details re what it takes to produce the podcasts. Dave's discussion of their very first interview with Tim Goebel and the nerve-wracking opening to it is funny as well as enlightening.

The fact Dave and Jenny have set themselves to produce weekly podcasts (in addition to having day jobs) is amazing and very work-intensive. I hope they don't burn themselves out in the process. They both seem to be type A personalities. Anyways, congrats and thanks to Dave and Jenny.

vCash
    ok, I did get a bit of a red flag when he said he was FAT. That answer was so spontaneous that I can't help feeling he was being sincere.

Such a handsome young man. Good interview.

I loved the blooper video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KONMTI1xjY

It's ok Dave...my mind does go there whenever I see the handsome Jeremy.
    Last edited by dots; 05-27-2013 at 11:33 PM.

vCash
    ^^ I thought Jeremy just said he was overweight this past season having not been able to lose the weight he normally used to in training because with age his metabolism has changed.

Jeremy most certainly is not FAT! He was just not at the optimum competitive weight that he was accustomed to. Surely though when you are used to carrying less body weight and suddenly gain more weight with a slower metabolism, there is this sensation of feeling fat.

vCash
    Jeremy probably measures his body fat % on a regular basis. Most men skaters try to be in the 6 to 10% range and they go crazy if they go around 12-15% in the off-season. That is a perfectly fine and healthy % for most people, but skaters know that they perform better as lean machines.

vCash
    Live! Starring ... You! article that includes video (June 8, 2013): Overcoming bullying: Figure skating star Jeremy Abbott’s story

Earlier, longer article (Jan. 19, 2013): Skating champ Jeremy Abbott: “I would come home in tears”

vCash
    ^^ Thanks Sylvia, I didn't see that article earlier. It's nice to see the video portion of the interview as well. I've never heard Jeremy speak about this before. I don't recall whether it came up during the interview Jeremy's mother, Allison Scott, had with manleywoman three years ago: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-39-allison-scott/
    The subject didn't come up during the short interview with Dave and Jenny.

Kudos to Jeremy and to everyone who experiences this kind of a hard time and manages to prevail.

Minor correction to the article: They must mean that Jeremy was the first U.S. male to win the GP Final (if indeed that is factually accurate).

vCash
    I really despise bullying, in any form.
    Kudos to Jeremy for triumphing over such a terrible thing.