Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    These interviews are great to listen to but it would be wonderful if we could get a follow-up question once in a while, so we can get further elaboration.

"Sandra, is IJS too complicated to bring new fans to the sport?"

"Yes!"

And then it's onto the next topic. I'd really like to hear what she would change to make IJS more accessible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    These interviews are great to listen to but it would be wonderful if we could get a follow-up question once in a while, so we can get further elaboration.

"Sandra, is IJS too complicated to bring new fans to the sport?"

"Yes!"

And then it's onto the next topic. I'd really like to hear what she would change to make IJS more accessible.
    I agree, it would have been nice for Jenny or Dave to then ask her what changes she would suggest. I think she would have answered, as she was very good about answering the other questions.

But she did give her take on what she doesn't like. I especially appreciated her take that this type of judging takes out the comparative aspect, which is essential to competition and how, at the end of the day, the result does not always represent who skated best in that particular competition. That's my biggest beef with IJS.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    http://www.theskatinglesson.com/sand...erview-part-4/

Scroll down..Read some comments on their website. Sandra addressed some of the comments that were made.

vCash
    Sandra's responses are very interesting,
    Kudos to her for taking the time to reply to comments and questions.

vCash
    And not only that, she is responding to some idiotic comments posted by someone whose writing style and user name bear a very close resemblance to FSU's own caseyedwards
    Last edited by overedge; 04-19-2013 at 02:51 AM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    great quote (On Janet Lynn) "If you look at a Janet performance today, you realize we've gone nowhere in 30 years"

vCash
    Another wonderful interview from TSL.

I'm glad they didn't focus too heavily on the SLC scandal, but instead chose to address it within the totality of her career as a skater and choreographer. I learned so many new things I never knew about her before.

Whatever your thoughts on SLC, you can't deny this woman has contributed a lot of positives to the sport, creating some of skating's most memorable programs. At the very least, I definitely walked away from the interview with a better understanding of her motivations behind her comments in 2002.

What she said about losing the casual fanbase was spot-on in my opinion.

Big highlight for me was hearing her speak about her process, how all successful programs start from a place of honesty.

Her acknowledging that Tara's 98 LP had no depth--something I always thought--was surprising to hear from her, but in retrospect I suppose it couldn't for a bubbly 15 year old girl. Never really looked at it from that perspective. In the end, it was a honest program for who she was at the time. And it worked.

vCash
    I really like what Dave and Jenny has taken their work beyond the blogsphere, to have evolved into this wonderful series of video talks to the great legends of this sport. The likes of Frank Carroll shared so many insights that hundreds of blog pages probably wouldn't able to cover... and now Ms. Bezic. I do wonder if Dave's eventual goal could be Michelle Kwan herself, if so, what a wonderful bonus or goal it would be. If there's ever a dream list, I'd love them to interview some Russian legends like Plushy, Yag, Tat etc.., Canadian legends (Kurt, Orser, Wilson etc) too, or even Japanese legends (Midori!!). I do think how someone being interviewed and how someone come across in writing can be vastly different. Dave / Aunt Joyce being the obvious. Some people are just naturally good at being expressive with their thoughts, while others probably require a bit more processing, or comes across better in writing, or could become become more diplomatic (instead of genuine) dealing with something as politically sensitive or controversial as the ISU/skating/federation politics and personal preferences.

Sandra for me is certainly a legend of the sport. She was the first choreographer who introduced Chinese Butterfly lovers (梁祝, Chinese Romeo and Juliet) as a competitive (edited) program to the west for Chen Lu, and made many Chinese audiences around world feel really proud and touched at what Lulu were able to bring that piece of her culture to the world wide audience. Therefore Bezic were also instrumental to promote the sport more to that part of the world. It being a piece of precious Chinese culture that had been neglected for decades and to see it being realised in such heartfelt and touching fashion sealed Lu Chen's place among the Chinese figure skating all time greats (and hopefully one of sport's all time great artists). The creative decisions to choose this particular piece vs the metamorphosis of Lulu's own career at the time is also perfectly, symbolically and ironically matched. It is genius really. To those who are familiar with the story of butterfly lovers, it is easy to drew the parallel lives of the beautiful butterfly evolved after long struggle of metamorphosis from a caterpillar to the short career of female figure skaters. How they struggle, rehearse, pushing bodies through the hundreds/thousands jumps/steps for that 1 short beautiful flight at its most glorious - but could ended too quickly, suddenly and abruptly. It also spoke about Lu Chen's own personal struggles at her final parting, how she has imparted all she was capable of, of a life time's work. Her spirit desperately cling and holding together her battered bodies at her age to say her good byes at the Olympics for one final parting. To share with the world her most beautiful (and heartbreaking moments) in order to preserve that one moment of glory, of beauty, to aspire for perfection against all the odds that all skaters strives for, whether you the OGM or the last one in the ranking.

In truth, in life, we strive for beauty because it is rarely attainable, and when you were finally able to capture the rare moments of it, it does not last forever. Beauty occurs, in 'moments' in time and always has a finite life span. The flower is at its most beautiful when it blossoms. A skater is most beautiful when they deliver what they are trained to do at the biggest occasion they aim for. Sure beauty can be preserved, and captured in still photography or video, but real beauty in art does not happen in stationary. It requires occasion, audience participation, momentum, expectation, circumstance, environment, the right judging panel to make it happen. Paintings and stationary arts are merely evidence of beauty, but its beauty is in its inception, the reason of being, the transition and first full realization of the work, including its quality of processes and everything it need to overcome to in order to materialize. Why we place high value on originality and authenticity and pay extra to go and see events live, for the rare opportunity such 'beauty can happen'. We want to experience beauty at its most real, fresh, full, authentic, honest at its core, unprocessed. Well executed performance maybe one way to deliver good art, but originality, authenticity, creativity is what can elevate interpretations and performances into great art. Chen Lu's Butterfly Lovers at the Olympics, she shared her life time's work and paid tribute and gratitude to the sport, who she is and her own culture through her art. It is all there and it makes me cry like a baby every time I see it. It elevate her performance to something COP, 6.0 can't possibly measure. What and a wonderful way to say good bye to a sport that is often bathed in controversy, politics, subjection, one may argue at her personal expense.

It is a piece of creative genius this skating fan (and many) is unlikely to ever forget thanks to Ms. Bezic and Ms. Chen. I do believe she was also the one who suggested Bond girl SP and Danse Macabare SP for Yuna Kim/David Wilson, my favourite female skater after Michelle Kwan. This means she had key input into some of my all time favourite ladies programs, to which I will always appreciate her for beyond her NBC commentaries. It is a pity she doesn't choreograph anymore. I'd love to see what she can come up for Daisuke for his Olympic Program (yes he really need a good one).
    Last edited by os168; 04-20-2013 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    She was the first choreographer who introduced Chinese Butterfly lovers (梁祝, Chinese Romeo and Juliet) program to the west for Chen Lu.
    os168, not quite. Have you seen this?

Peggy Fleming - Butterfly Lovers Concerto (1981)- 1981 USFSA in China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A3bRoY-70g

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    os168, not quite. Have you seen this?

Thanks for this. That was fab gala. I didn't know about this, but it is good to know another great has skate to it. Just to show, there's nothing truly original in art anymore Although perhaps understandably doesn't have the same cultural significance and impact for me personally.

vCash
    That 1981 trip was the first time that an international group of skaters was allowed to go to China.
    Despite difficult conditions, it inspired many people, such as Bin Yao.
    It was broadcast on HBO, in the US.

vCash
    I totally don't understand any dislike for Sandra Bezic. Like any artist she's passionate so if some people don't like the by product of that I hope they can cut her some slack. She's very articulate and dedicated to the sport. Also profoundly open and genuine, which I respect enormously.

I completely believe her when she talks about how honesty and authenticity are important in choreography. I find that too many choreographers miss the essential ingredient of knowing their skaters and using that as a source of inspiration for programming. She's just plain a goddess in my eyes and is very near the top of the list of skating celebrities I'd love to meet.

vCash
    ...and against my better judgment I'll bring up one of her quotes that I think is bang on the mark although here I go somewhat derailing this thread. She explained Chan very well. He does have musicality coming out of his pores; he feels the music and uses every single note while employing his entire body. He just doesn't 'sell' his programs to an audience and thus people connect less to him vs other skaters.

This is part of the reason why audiences don't fully respond to him but he gets big marks beyond SS. I don't expect people to agree or understand what she's talking about but at least I totally get it.

vCash
    I want them to interview Chris Dean!

vCash
    ^ Oh definitely! And of course the'll have to ask Dean about MK.

vCash
    I just watched Part 1, and I enjoyed listening and learning about Sandra's early skating career, as I knew she had been a pairs skater, but I had never seen her skate, although I had seen some photos. Interesting family background and I liked her honesty about the positive vs not so great aspects of being on the same training ice with Toller Cranston.

How great is it that more and more interviews are being done with so many interesting people in the skating world! I think Dave and Jenny do a very good job and they are open to viewer comments, and I like how they try to get a range of interviewees and get lots of interviews up. It's fun to hear all the different perspectives and experiences. I find Jenny and Dave to be knowledgeable and fairly professional, as well as passionate about figure skating. I don't agree with some of their viewpoints in their commentary podcasts, but kudos to them for getting out there, following in manleywoman's pioneering fs podcast footsteps and bringing some variety to the table. Thanks and kudos also to TSL's interviewees for sharing their perspectives and experiences in the skating world.

I really enjoyed hearing about how Sandra started Battle of the Blades and why she feels it has been a successful series. I've always felt that Sandra is someone who is quite passionate about figure skating and who has contributed a great deal to the sport. She has an interesting background and she has often voiced insights about skating that I agree with, despite her sometimes perhaps unintentionally biased observations and foot-in-mouth comments on NBC. Its nice to see Sandra in a different context other than as a commentator and to learn more about her work as a skater and as a choreographer. After hearing the Ellen Burka interview (on PJ Kwong & David Dore podcast), it's fascinating to hear Sandra discuss the rich history of the Burka/ Cranston years at The Cricket Club.

After Sandra spoke about choreographing for Barb and Paul (referring to their height disparity), I wonder what she thinks about Castelli/ Shnapir and what they could do going forward to enhance their presentation together on the ice and to grow as skating partners.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thanks skatesindreams. That was very lovely of Peggy to skate to Butterfly Lovers on the visit to China. I am sure the Chinese appreciated her gesture. Butterfly Lovers is one of my all time favourite. Perhaps some day, a Chinese pair may skate to Butterfly Lovers in the LP. You need maturity to skate to this music. (I can imagine Tong & Pang skating to this music. )
    Last edited by spikydurian; 04-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12