Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In a cubbyhole next to Lauren Sheehan's bedazzler
    vCash

The Skating Lesson: Interview w/ Sandra Bezic, Part 1

In Part 1 of the interview, they talk a lot of about "Battle of the Blades" and Sandra's early years. Really interesting stuff, although I'm looking forward to the upcoming parts. I'd love to hear more of her thoughts on 2002, IJS, etc. But this first part is definitely worth a listen.

vCash
    So you got background on how she became interested in choreography and broke into the business of choreographing for other skaters but of course her extreme nonsensical reaction to S/P losing is next!! Total disgrace of a TV commentator.

vCash
    ^^^
    No one forces anyone to listen.

vCash
    Part 2 is up and it covers a lot of her elite choreographing career. She talks about Brian Boitano, Witt, Kristi, Tara, Kurt and Lulu. Definitely worth a listen considering how many well-known programs are her work.

vCash
    Part 2 is good listening. Sandra is so much more likable here then when she does commentaries for NBC. I like what she said about accommodating Tara's wishes so that although the work was still true to Sandra's vision, the final result the public saw was mostly true to who Tara was on the ice (meaning Sandra didn't say "do it my way or the highway." )

Dave's expression was funny when Sandra and Jenny discussed about when a girl looked into the mirror and realized that she has transformed into a woman, LOL.

Is there a part 3 and more ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Part 2 is good listening. Sandra is so much more likable here then when she does commentaries for NBC. I like what she said about accommodating Tara's wishes so that although the work was still true to Sandra's vision, the final result the public saw was mostly true to who Tara was on the ice (meaning Sandra didn't say "do it my way or the highway." )

Dave's expression was funny when Sandra and Jenny discussed about when a girl looked into the mirror and realized that she has transformed into a woman, LOL.

I agree- Sandra is so likable and poised. I'm told there are 4 parts total.

vCash
    Will this woman ever age? I loved hearing about the creative process between her and so many successful skaters. Can't wait to hear Dave grill her about 2002 in the next chapters. As much as I feel she has been inappropriate as a commentator from time to time, I can't help but respect Sandra for her unbelievable talent and the memorable programs she's created over the years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Will this woman ever age?
    No, but I think she gets help in that department
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

Part 3 will be posted tonght.

vCash
    Thanks, kwanette,

vCash
    Really interesting interview. I'd forgotten Sandra Bezic worked with Lu Chen. Not sure why Dave yet again couldn't wait to bring up the storyline of the movie behind Tara's long program. Big deal. We're not living in the 1950s. Plus it seemed to embarrass Sandra (the question, not the movie's storyline). Also interesting to hear that Sandra had zero input with Kristi's Malaguena musical choice. Wonder what she might have suggested if she were asked? All in all, a good job by TSL once again!

vCash
    Dave asking if Sandra had seen the movie was a valid question, especially considering how much she had said in the past that the film's storyline was integral to capturing Tara's POV. And considering Sandra even said she usually does see the films she suggests for programs, she didn't seem embarrassed at all, only that she hadn't seen it but should have.

Anyway, I especially liked hearing her discuss Lu Chen. I agree her Rach program was probably her finest piece of work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabrichnova View Post
    Dave asking if Sandra had seen the movie was a valid question, especially considering how much she had said in the past that the film's storyline was integral to capturing Tara's POV. And considering Sandra even said she usually does see the films she suggests for programs, she didn't seem embarrassed at all, only that she hadn't seen it but should have.

Anyway, I especially liked hearing her discuss Lu Chen. I agree her Rach program was probably her finest piece of work.
    Fair enough. But it strikes me as odd that if she really did claim in the past that the storyline was integral to Tara's POV, then why say in this interview she hadn't seen it and ask Dave how it was. I disagree, though, that she didn't seem embarrassed. She didn't appear mortified but slightly embarrassed, yes. Like I said, though, I thought it was a good interview overall.

vCash

vCash
    I think it was interesting having seen part 4 about IJS missing forest for the trees. But technically everything is divided up but program is judged as a whole but in five parts! So you have the technical score having no unified score at all and no unified impression but pe , tr , ss, in and ch does.

I thought there would be more about the merit of the choreography of s/p vs b/s. Because s/p won the tech mark but lost the artistic mark. Did s/p have the merit for a second mark win? B/s did have mistakes on jumps but even by the end of that program it seemed like they were totally great! I could see how she wouldn't regret anything at all but as a choreographer where was he merit in s/p program? Like they performed it so well but what did they perform ? A snowball fight? How does she feel abouT a snowball fight?

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I've always liked Sandra Bezic. I really enjoyed the interviews. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Really enjoying these! Just watched the first 2 and am saving the rest for tomorrow.

vCash
    I liked the parts about Chen Lu and her choreography in the 1990s, but her reaction in 2002 still grates on my last nerve. In what way is it professional to scream "No" as the anthem is being played? That was so disrespectful and childish.

vCash
    Enjoyed listening to part 3 and 4.

Bezic got a lot of flaks from FSU for what some labeled as "Whorechography", and one such program was Lu Chen's "Black Magic Woman". I didn't mind the sexy programs; My beef with that particular Chen's program was that it was boring.

I don't think Bezic has ever done a program for MK, correct? I would love to hear what music she would've chosen for Michelle.

vCash
    I dozed off 3 times in first 10 minutes of part 1...
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast