Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Her Blue Danube is so light, so clean, so full of transitions, and her Malaguena is more powerfull, still full of little details and transitions. Really, none of her choreo was superficial, IMO.
    Her Blue Danube was gorgeous and wonderful. I liked her LP, but I liked her 91 LP more.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maofan7 View Post
    Her only real weakness was with her nemesis jump, the 3S. She personally found it harder than a triple lutz.
    I remember reading years ago that Kristi starting having trouble with the 3S in singles when she started doing the throw 3S in pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabybackhand View Post
    Her Blue Danube was gorgeous and wonderful. I liked her LP, but I liked her 91 LP more.
    I liked her 1992 programs, but I loved her 1991 programs even more, especially her 1991 original program, in part because it was music I had not heard before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    I remember reading years ago that Kristi starting having trouble with the 3S in singles when she started doing the throw 3S in pairs.
    Did she say why that caused a problem?

vCash
    I would imagine that the timing is different for singles jumps, as opposed to pairs - especially for throws.

vCash
    Did she say why that caused a problem?
    It's been so long ('91 or '92) that I really don't remember if she said why but I bet it's like skateindreams says--it's the timing.

vCash
    I remember this was the Worlds Usova & Zhulin challenged Marina Klimova again (I only say her since Sergei was her toy she dragged around the ice) but a fall in the FD cost them a chance of winning. It was funny how U&Z could challenge K&P at the 91 and 92 Worlds but not the 92 Olympics. I guess the judges already decided the 92 Olympics was just a Marina Klimova and Duchensay siblings showdown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gordanlevitt View Post
    I remember this was the Worlds Usova & Zhulin challenged Marina Klimova again (I only say her since Sergei was her toy she dragged around the ice) but a fall in the FD cost them a chance of winning. It was funny how U&Z could challenge K&P at the 91 and 92 Worlds but not the 92 Olympics. I guess the judges already decided the 92 Olympics was just a Marina Klimova and Duchensay siblings showdown.
    Marina was a very striking woman and certainly had a great deal of presence on the ice, but I personally never got the impression of Sergei fading into the background or being overshadowed by Marina. For me at least, Klimova & Ponomarenko were one of the more evenly talented ice dance teams in history (at least, that's my impression).

vCash
    Superficial question. Any Yamaguchi fans know why she returned to her original Malaguena costume? I think she only wore the gold and black costume once - at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Marina was a very striking woman and certainly had a great deal of presence on the ice, but I personally never got the impression of Sergei fading into the background or being overshadowed by Marina. For me at least, Klimova & Ponomarenko were one of the more evenly talented ice dance teams in history (at least, that's my impression).
    Not only that but Sergei Ponomarenko is one of the greatest technicians of all time. At first, he was significantly better than she was but as she developed, she began to match his level. i think he should go down as one of the greatest ice dancers of all time. I can't believe there are people out there that think she was 'dragging' him around.

Even if U/Z hadn't fallen, they didn't deserve to come anywhere close to K/P. Not only were they not as technically proficient but their content didn't come anywhere close. Even a young and developing G/P had far superior content in their programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    Not only that but Sergei Ponomarenko is one of the greatest technicians of all time. At first, he was significantly better than she was but as she developed, she began to match his level. i think he should go down as one of the greatest ice dancers of all time. I can't believe there are people out there that think she was 'dragging' him around.

Even if U/Z hadn't fallen, they didn't deserve to come anywhere close to K/P. Not only were they not as technically proficient but their content didn't come anywhere close. Even a young and developing G/P had far superior content in their programs.
    To add to that, I'm re-watching K&P's 1987 Worlds FD and Scott Hamilton mentions that Sergei Ponomarenko is probably considered the best male ice dancer in the world.

I'm not as proficient as I'd like to be WRT the technical side of ice dance, and I love G&P and their voidy FD that year, but for me, U&Z's Four Seasons free dance was simply sublime.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gordanlevitt View Post
    Um...Sergei Ponomarenko is probably one of the best male ice dancers of all time, and K/P's choreography utilized both dancers (which was a welcome change after Bestemianova/Bukin).

Maybe you're confusing Marina Klimova with Paul Duschenay who really used Isabelle as a prop in almost all of their choreography...or maybe even Sasha Zhulin who would literally drag Maya Usova in their their choreography. See 1991 Worlds FD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Um...Sergei Ponomarenko is probably one of the best male ice dancers of all time, and K/P's choreography utilized both dancers (which was a welcome change after Bestemianova/Bukin).

Maybe you're confusing Marina Klimova with Paul Duschenay who really used Isabelle as a prop in almost all of their choreography...or maybe even Sasha Zhulin who would literally drag Maya Usova in their their choreography. See 1991 Worlds FD.
    Yeah, Ponomarenko was the first male ice dancer to break out of the mould of just presenting the lady. Look at Alexei Gorshkov, Gennady Karponosov, Andrei Minenkov, Andre Bukin, etc and they basically were just props for their partners. Sergei was an extraordinarily strong skater and technician. Almost all the male skaters in Dubova's group were like Zhulin and Platov.

vCash
    Her FS was also far more self assured in these championships than at the Olympics, with 6 triples, including a 3+3 combination (3Z+3T, 3Z, 3F, 3R, 3T).
    And then, there would be a 5-year drought before a female champion would land a 3/3 in the FS.

vCash
    Yeah, Ponomarenko was the first male ice dancer to break out of the mould of just presenting the lady.
    Yo, Christopher Dean, maybe?? I'm not saying Jayne was just a prop, but Chris was the one who riveted my attention.

I loved U/Z because of their lines and elegance, but I agree. Nobody at the 92 Olympics or Worlds was in the same league as Klimova/Ponomarenko (not even the Duchesnays). There was such completeness to their free dance especially. I also agree about the technical difficulty of Usova-Zhulin vs Grishuk/Platov. I didn't notice it so much in 92 because of the presentation gap, but at 93 Worlds I remember being glad U/Z won because I loved that dance, but thinking that G/P's dance looked a lot more complex and difficult.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Yo, Christopher Dean, maybe?? I'm not saying Jayne was just a prop, but Chris was the one who riveted my attention.

I loved U/Z because of their lines and elegance, but I agree. Nobody at the 92 Olympics or Worlds was in the same league as Klimova/Ponomarenko (not even the Duchesnays). There was such completeness to their free dance especially. I also agree about the technical difficulty of Usova-Zhulin vs Grishuk/Platov. I didn't notice it so much in 92 because of the presentation gap, but at 93 Worlds I remember being glad U/Z won because I loved that dance, but thinking that G/P's dance looked a lot more complex and difficult.
    Sorry, meant to say that Ponomarenko was the first Soviet male ice dancer. Forgot to mention the word Soviet.

As steamy as U/Z's Blues FD was that year, that program was far too simple for my tastes in terms of the choreography. I definitely liked G/P's blues better (choreographed by the great Shanti Rushpaul who also did K/P's 92 FD). But they didn't help themselves with a lift that looked illegal to me (his arm was lifting Oksana above his shoulders) and at least one illegal separation. I still would've given them first though.

vCash
    Apparently 6 judges were suspended for placing G&P as high as 2nd in the FD of the 93 Worlds. So for those who say the judges werent fussy about their programs that year, the ISU was even less so.

vCash
    Even with the illegalities, I still would've had G/P in first or second at the 93 worlds. I definitely would've had the Finns in 3rd. One team who I thought should've been higher was Navka & Gezalian. They were 9th but should've been top 5 IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Apparently 6 judges were suspended for placing G&P as high as 2nd in the FD of the 93 Worlds. So for those who say the judges werent fussy about their programs that year, the ISU was even less so.
    That's true... for three months. I always hear this story as a fact even though it was only a political plot which didn't last long. I have the officials publications made by ISU from the IOC archives. It says six judges were indeed suspended : Liliana Strechova, Marie Lundmark, Eric Couste, Irina Nechkina, Ljudmila Mikhailovskaya, Eleanor Curtis. Demmy suspended them on the 12th of June after a meeting on the 10th with the technical commitee. The reason was at first their judging at 1993 World dance event. But their judging at Euros was in question too (it was almost the same panel). The IDTC lead by Kunz (and the referee at the 93 worlds dance event) also made a recommendation to the nationals associations the judges were from in order theses judges not to be sent at 1994 OG (and IMO, this was as big as a matter for them as the suspension was). All the judges suspended made an appeal and were outraged by the decision. Their meeting and hearings were held in Zurich from the 10th of september to the 12th. Except :

"DECISION
    1. The Appeals made by Mrs Strechova, Mrs Lundmark, Mr Couste, Mrs Nechkina, Mrs Mikhailovskaya and Mrs Curtis are accepted.
    2. The decision of the I.S.U. Council from June 12th, 1993 regarding their suspension from November 1, 1993 till March 31, 1994, is cancelled.
    3. This decision is final immediatelly.
    4. All sanctions taken in consequence of theses suspensions should be recinded.

From the abund nt record in these appeals, the AC has identified the following importants events and facts : [...]
    2. An event review meeting was conducted by the Referee, Mr Kutschera and the Assistant Referee, Mr Kunz, (Rules 335 and 340, para 5). The individual judges marks were not questioned at this meeting. Because there were no questions, the individual judges were not required to explain any supposed deviations on their cards as foreseen in the rules. General remarks were made to the whole panel regarding some overmarked and some undermarked couples, especially from overseas. Further comments were made for the future improvement of the Ice Dancing. No explanation sheets were given to the judges regarding the top five skating couples. No criticism was expressed concerning the final result.
    3. The Referee did not ask any of the appellants for a written explanation within one month after the event. (Rule 345, para.3).
    4. In the Referees Report (Rule 345) all the appellants were rated only "fair" in all parts of the event (except Strechova, for Original Dance only, was rated "good") on the Judging Report form."Fair" is the category above "poor" and below "good" on this form.
    No copies of the Judging Report were sent to any of the appellants (Rule 345, para.5b) even though they were all assessed by the Referee to be in the category closest to "poor", that is "fair", which appears to be comparable to "mediocre" according to the Regulations.
    5. The Judging Report refers to some "striking differences" in the placing of each judge (except Strechova for OD). Other paper in the same report, i.e. classification lists, do not show any "striking differences". No witness, including Mr Kunz, could identify any "striking differences".
    [...]
    7. The Minutes of the IDTC meeting at Wurtzburg (prepared by C. Jones and confirmed to the AC as correct by W.Kunz) contain the following important text :
    "Mr. Felli, of the International Olympic Committee, has expressed the concern of the I.O.C. that the Free Dance programmes are very much show-oriented and that the protocol rarely changes throughout the event. The Committee discussed this at length and noted the concern raised.
    In view of the above the Committee recommended that drastic action be taken and it was decided, unanimously, to recommend to the Council that the following actions be taken :
    THAT the following six judges should not officiate at the forthcoming Olympic Games because of their placings for Gritschuk-Platov and Rahkamo-Kokko throughout the event. If agreed by the Council the a Press Release should be issued regarding the matter as well as appearing in a Circular Letter from the ISU office" (Underlining added)"

Follows a lot of considerations about the violations made in order to suspend the judges by the IDTC and how it was impossible for them to suspend the judges only for one event (1994 OG). Only one major fact stands out : "This is shown by the suspension of L. Strechova who, to Mr Kunz surprise, recorded placings of 2,2,4 and 2 for the couple G-P. Mr Kunz thinks the inclusion of L. Strechova must be a mistake."
    Last edited by Nours; 04-28-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast