Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 484
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Jason Brown Uber Thread: Someday is Today

    Onward for us and now viral superstar Jason!

    Thread title reference: http://articles.latimes.com/2014/jan...g-men-20140113

    In a recent conference call, Brown showed he also had realized a 2014 Olympic berth was possible, no matter that he still lacks a quadruple in his jump arsenal. He drew confidence from Evan Lysacek winning the 2010 Olympics without one.

    "It wasn't until midway through this season when I started to believe it," Brown said. "My coach had been always trying to get me on that page: 2014, 2014, 2014. I'm realistic, and I didn't even allow myself to think there, because I didn't think I was ready. Over three years, I progressed and got more confident."

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Close to Normal, IL
    Posts
    1,715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yay, Jason!

    I really want a t-shirt that says, "I was a Jason Brown Uber before 2014", lol. So happy that his amazing skating is being appreciated by SO MANY people.

    ETA: My first FSU thread title; I feel so special!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Yay, Jason!

    I really want a t-shirt that says, "I was a Jason Brown Uber before 2014", lol. So happy that his amazing skating is being appreciated by SO MANY people.

    ETA: My first FSU thread title; I feel so special!
    Thanks for the inspiration for the thread title!

    I totally want that t-shirt too! I like to say that I was a fan even when his 3A had darker prospects than Apple in the 1990s. Glad Jason AND Apple both emerged from tougher times!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-22-2014 at 06:44 AM.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    "I was a Jason Brown Uber before 2014", lol.
    His skating has always been incredible. One of 23423454 reasons for why not watching JGP means missing out a lot of amazing skating. His 2011 JGPF win was absolutely magnificent.

    The amount of transitions, the complexity of the choreography - he's always had it. He has just kept building on this great foundation that Ade and Ward have given him. I have deep respect for Ade for taking things slowly and developing the whole package instead of rushing to give him a 3axel and a quad whilst sacrificing everything else, as most coaches would.

    Look at the comments under that video. All of the people bitching about the lack of a 3axel. Well, they can go jump under a bus. Brown now has a consistent 3axel whilst maintaining the complexity of the choreography and transitions. How many skaters can you say that about?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-22-2014 at 06:56 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    His skating has always been incredible. One of 23423454 reasons for why not watching JGP means missing out a lot of amazing skating. His 2011 JGPF win was absolutely magnificent.

    The amount of transitions, the complexity of the choreography - he's always had it. He has just kept building on this great foundation that Ade and Ward have given him. I have deep respect for Ade for taking things slowly and developing the whole package instead of rushing to give him a 3axel and a quad whilst sacrificing everything else, as most coaches would.

    Look at the comments under that video. All of the people bitching about the lack of a 3axel. Well, they can go jump under a bus. Brown now has a consistent 3axel whilst maintaining the complexity of the choreography and transitions. How many skaters can you say that about?
    I really respect Kori Ade as well. She really seems to have a smart, holistic approach to training her students.

    I remember there was some interview somewhere where Kori said she asked officials why Jason wasn't getting higher PCS scores in his early senior years domestically (despite having good transitions/choreography) and they pretty much told her that he wouldn't get higher marks until he got the 3A. Well, I guess they made good on their promise this season!
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 01-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.

  6. #6
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    I discovered Jason at the 2012 US Nats and liked him a lot then. At the time he didn't have a 3A yet but it was in the works. Someone had said that Jason is not soup yet, well I think he is lobster bisque.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    582
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    183
    Where are those T-shirts?? I discovered Jason during the 2011-2012 JGP season and was blown away by his skating. I think his performance at the 2012 Junior Worlds was even better than at the JGPF. The way he timed the three-jump combination on the beat of the music is just fabulous. What a great program, too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7yqXZe96s
    Hope he gets a consistent quad in the future. I want him World and Olympic champion!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,013
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm so excited Jason is going to the Olympics, and so excited he is now "big" enough to warrant his own thread!

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jason Brown is the best new star of the season!

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    London, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,193
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was at the 2011 JGPF and have been watching Jason with interest ever since. I was lucky to be in attendance at this season's Skate America in Detroit, and realized that he really might have a shot this year. I also got a chance to say hi to him on the concourse one day, and he really is such a friendly, down-to-earth kid. Just wanted to mark myself in this thread as an "uber".

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,525
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    I'm proud to say that I was an uber before it was cool!
    Someday we'll all be saying "we knew him when".

    Such incredible skills and the personality to bring them to life.
    So very rare in skating, now!

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    I also discovered him in 2011/2012 but I think it is great to become a fan of his regardless of the point of time. This year I did not have the time to watch the JGP because I had a tiny baby at home and therefore I would not have been able to discover new gems - but I don't think that makes me a worse fan for discovering someone later.

    But what I really DO like is the smug feeling when I think of many posts who scoffed at me enjoying Jason and told me that he does not even have a 3axel. *in your face* (although my point then and now always has been and always will be that my enjoyment in his skating was not dependant on his 3axel. Yes, he would not have made it into the Olympics without one but I would have still enjoyed watching him just for my pure egoistical pleasure)

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I also discovered him in 2011/2012 but I think it is great to become a fan of his regardless of the point of time. This year I did not have the time to watch the JGP because I had a tiny baby at home and therefore I would not have been able to discover new gems - but I don't think that makes me a worse fan for discovering someone later.

    But what I really DO like is the smug feeling when I think of many posts who scoffed at me enjoying Jason and told me that he does not even have a 3axel. *in your face* (although my point then and now always has been and always will be that my enjoyment in his skating was not dependant on his 3axel. Yes, he would not have made it into the Olympics without one but I would have still enjoyed watching him just for my pure egoistical pleasure)
    I'm more relieved than anything. As I said, it wasn't easy being a Jason fan circa 2012 when his 3A was totally MIA or he was struggling with it in the first half of the 2012-2013 season. But yes, I agree Hedwig, I still enjoyed Jason's skating in spite of this technical struggle.

    So I'm relieved that he went over that hurdle and that a lot more people appreciate him now!

    I first heard of Jason when Aaron Harris (who posts occasionally for The Skating Lesson) posted something on his blog back in 2010 after he won the silver medal at JGP Courchavel. But the video Aaron posted was so grainy (not his fault, of course, just the nature of the video uploaded), I couldn't stand to watch it. My first real look was when Ice Network posted his videos from Midwestern Sectionals. I was impressed then. I also loved his Nationals performances as well.

    But it wasn't until the 2011-2012 JGP season when I became a bona fide fan. I know a lot of people love his "Flow Like Water" FS, but what sold me wholesale was his SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm7xaXw_3AE

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,473
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I also discovered him in 2011/2012 but I think it is great to become a fan of his regardless of the point of time. This year I did not have the time to watch the JGP because I had a tiny baby at home and therefore I would not have been able to discover new gems - but I don't think that makes me a worse fan for discovering someone later.
    I've only watched a small handful of JGP videos this season, myself. I had no time either. I guess my point was more along the lines of everybody saying 'JGP is low standard of skating,' 'JGP is not real competition', 'JGP doesn't count' and so on and so forth has no clue what they're talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    But what I really DO like is the smug feeling when I think of many posts who scoffed at me enjoying Jason and told me that he does not even have a 3axel. *in your face* (although my point then and now always has been and always will be that my enjoyment in his skating was not dependant on his 3axel. Yes, he would not have made it into the Olympics without one but I would have still enjoyed watching him just for my pure egoistical pleasure)
    As I said in the old thread, I'd happily have everybody stop attempting 3axels and quads if they start showing the kind of quality of choreography that Brown does instead.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17487
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    As I said in the old thread, I'd happily have everybody stop attempting 3axels and quads if they start showing the kind of quality of choreography that Brown does instead.
    Uh-oh, if caseyedwards reads that he/she might die of a heart attack.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I've only watched a small handful of JGP videos this season, myself. I had no time either. I guess my point was more along the lines of everybody saying 'JGP is low standard of skating,' 'JGP is not real competition', 'JGP doesn't count' and so on and so forth has no clue what they're talking about.
    I guess my point was not to make a sort of "I am an elite fan of him" and then to discourage new fans to share the uberdom.

    As I said in the old thread, I'd happily have everybody stop attempting 3axels and quads if they start showing the kind of quality of choreography that Brown does instead.
    Amen, brother

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I've really admired Brown's skating for the last couple of seasons, so sign me up as an uber. I was so happy when he skated so well at Nationals! My men's "dream team" for Sochi had been Adam Rippon/ Jason Brown, so I got half my wish. Best of luck to Jason at the Olympics! I hope it's a great experience for him.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Close to Normal, IL
    Posts
    1,715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm trying to remember what was the first Jason program that I ever saw. I'm pretty sure that I saw his 2009/2010 FS (Nutcracker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEh0bm-oRtM) but didn't really get interested in his skating until his fantastic 2010/2011 FS. I remember someone here on FSU said the next year, "Jason Brown is the future of US figure skating" and that has just stuck with me, because I knew it was the absolute truth.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    405
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I'm trying to remember what was the first Jason program that I ever saw. I'm pretty sure that I saw his 2009/2010 FS (Nutcracker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEh0bm-oRtM) but didn't really get interested in his skating until his fantastic 2010/2011 FS. I remember someone here on FSU said the next year, "Jason Brown is the future of US figure skating" and that has just stuck with me, because I knew it was the absolute truth.
    Someone either on this forum or on Golden Skate said of Jason's Riverdance program, when it was first debuted last fall, "this is the long program all the US men will be chasing at Nationals," or words to that effect. I wish I had a link to the direct quote!

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    I think it was Blades of Passion who posted it-you might look for it in either the Skate America LP or the TEB LP competition folder--that would be my best guess. Blades was on the Jason bandwagon since 2011.

    I'm a Jason uber since 2011 myself.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •