vCash

NJ Ranks #1 for Child Well Being. Who'd have thunk it?

vCash
    See...... you get something for all your taxes.
    What would Jenny do?

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Of course the kids are alright, they're not the ones paying the taxes.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    ^^

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I grew up in NJ and I loved it. I'm not sure what's different now from 20 years ago, but back then, it was nice.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I grew up in NJ and I loved it. I'm not sure what's different now from 20 years ago, but back then, it was nice.
    I don't know where you grew up in NJ but I can tell you that things are a lot different today from 20 years ago in the area where I grew up. My neighborhood was heavily industrial and it was nice and quiet and nobody really had any reason to go there because it was industrial. 20 years ago all that industry started a mass exodus and now my town, in an effort to keep those taxes rolling into City Hall, has been filling all that empty real estate with townhouses and shopping centers. Now traffic is a nightmare in that area because the roads can't handle the volume. That's just one example from one corner of the state but that's pretty much what's happening all over. Industry is fleeing. The pharmaceutical companies have been walking out one by one. Goya Foods was going to walk out but the governor offered them a sweetheart deal they couldn't refuse so that they would stay put in the state.

It's really not much different from what's going on all across America. Things have changed a lot in the last 20 years, not just in New Jersey.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I clicked on the link to the actual report, and this from the executive summary (which is as far as I read ) was interesting.

There is a strong positive correlation across six of the seven domains. The exception is the Emotional/Spiritual domain, which is negatively correlated with most of the other domains.
    The seven domains are:

1. Family Economic Well-Being
    2. Health
    3. Safe / Risky Behavior
    4. Education Attainment
    5. Community Engagement
    6. Social Relationships
    7. Emotional/Spiritual Well-Being
    Creating drama!

vCash
    The area(s) where I grew up and presently live have changed, to some degree. But, I live in suburbia. Fairly rural suburbia. Most properties are zoned to be at least 3/4 of an acre. All industry is centered around highways and is separated from the residential neighborhoods. We do have excellent schools. However, our taxes reflect that. In another state I would probably spend less on a private education .

I love NJ and have no plan to leave. Yes, the taxes suck, but what can you do? I want to be near my family and friends.

The reason for posting the article is that NJ always gets a bad rap. The Sopranos, The Jersey Shore, all make NJ look terrible. We (in general) don't act like that, speak like that, dress like that. It's nice to see a positive spin on our beautiful state.

vCash
    Agree with cruisin completely. I grew up in South Jersey, and didn't experience anything that resembled The Sopranos, The Jersey Shore, etc. I don't have a Jersey speaking accent in the sense that I don't sound like a pseudo-NYer. Folks never know where I'm from because they usually have a certain impression of what a Jerseyite should sound like -- and I don't sound that way. Mind you, nobody I grew up with sounds that way either.

Some of the South Jersey beaches are glorious -- far nicer than anything I've come across in Southern California (where I've lived for over 20 years and love), including Malibu where there is very little sand and the water is cold as all get out!

The summer fruit and vegetables in NJ are sublime. The schools are excellent. And the taxes suck.

O-

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    The reason for posting the article is that NJ always gets a bad rap. The Sopranos, The Jersey Shore, all make NJ look terrible. We (in general) don't act like that, speak like that, dress like that. It's nice to see a positive spin on our beautiful state.
    Hey, speaking of...didja see that news story last week about the manager of the diner who got busted for trying to hire a hit man to off his uncle and clean out his safe but as it turned out he was doing business with an undercover cop?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Hey, speaking of...didja see that news story last week about the manager of the diner who got busted for trying to hire a hit man to off his uncle and clean out his safe but as it turned out he was doing business with an undercover cop?
    I did, idiot! Im not saying there aren't any idiots in the state , we have our fair share. And all of the Rutgers messes. I think the president should resign. I cannot believe he didn't even look at the tape. there is no excuse for that. They get rid of the athletic director, who wanted to fire the SOB coach, but was told to wait. And the president gets nothing?

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    I did, idiot!
    Ah, there's the cruisey I like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post

The summer fruit and vegetables in NJ are sublime.
    Can't wait for Jersey white corn and tomatoes, the best!

I live in north west NJ (Morris County). It is beautiful here. No different from CT, MA, or any other New England state. I grew up about 20 minutes from here. No one I grew up with or live near speaks with the "Joisey" accent either. My grandmother grew up in Jersey City, she had it. But she was 105 when she passed and that was about 15 years ago. so, the accent was Jersey City at the turn of the century (last century ). You hear it a little in Bergen County (though it's getting much less prevalent), Staten Island, Brooklyn, Bronx. Rarely in NJ and not Manhattan.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Cruisey, that accent is still alive and well in Jersey City and other parts of Hudson County. And I know plenty of people from Bergen County with that accent, too. And Essex County. And Passaic County. Just cuz you aren't hearing it where you live in Morris County doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's still very much alive and well among the blue-collar crowd, trust me. The governor has a pretty solid Jersey accent and he's an Essex County kid. So, yeah.

vCash
    Southy - Nice, destroy my delusions!

I lived in Hasbrouck Heights for about 5 years (when I worked in NYC) about 30 years ago. I remember hearing it, but it was not dominant. Out here, we all sound like news casters .

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    IMO every state has people that thinks they're misunderstood and vilified more than other states. :shrug:
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    North Jersey and South Jersey should just be two different states.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Southy - Nice, destroy my delusions!

Hey, I was just reading an article a little while ago about a judge in Morristown complaining that the streets there smell like urine when it rains. Didja see that one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

Hey, I was just reading an article a little while ago about a judge in Morristown complaining that the streets there smell like urine when it rains. Didja see that one?
    There is actually something to that one. Morristown has become, second to Hoboken, the top town for 25 - 35 year olds to live (AKA party). The Green and South Street are full of rowdy bars that stay open late. There is a real problem with drunken, public (meaning on the sidewalks and streets) urination and defecation (true!). The judge is trying to make the bars close earlier. I don't think that will help. They do need a stronger police presence in the center of town on Friday and Saturday nights. Morristown is a pretty affluent town and the residents are complaining - loudly! I take a Pilates class in Morristown twice a week at 9:30 AM. This morning, walking from the parking lot, it smelled horrible - like 42nd St. on a Monday morning, in the summer.