Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 1005
  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    101
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's kinda sad that's what the sport is moving towards...

    Who cares if your program is weak as long as you hit the jumps? *sigh*
    Really? I don't think it's at all sad that the sport is moving towards rewarding more the actual athletic elements within a program, since it is afterall and foremost a SPORT.

    Sure it's always great and more enjoyable to watch an artistic or charismatic skater (though personally I don't find much enjoyment in watching even the most artistic skaters flop and fall all over the ice ... heh), but for the sport to have any legitimacy the technical stuff has to matter over the packaging (which is frankly pretty subjective). It'd be way more ludicrous to say who cares if you can't jump so long as you have a great program and presentation! Plus, it's not like the more well-rounded skaters aren't rewarded under the current system, so I really don't see what this lamenting is about -- it's not like Gracie Gold is beating Kosner just because she can hit more of the jumps ...

    That said, I don't really see Sleeping Beauty as something Gracie can pull off either, but who knows?

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Brilliant choice. You can't go wrong with Tchaikovsky
    You do realise that skaters are supposed to skate (as in move in time and express its character with their movement) to the music they have chosen, yes?

    How it is a brilliant choice to pick a music from a ballet for a skater who isn't balletic?

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,540
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    I was hoping she would skate to something by Copland. I think it would be a stretch for her but I could also see her pulling it off with the right choreographer.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  4. #104
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,169
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43386
    There are choreographers, like Mats Ek, Jean-Christophe Maillot, and Matthew Bourne, who create works to iconic ballet scores but use little if no ballet vocabulary and don't expect pointed toes, or ballet line and posture. Perhaps Zoueva wants to continue along the line of the "Carmen" program she did for V/M and explore something beyond the obvious, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Performance Channel showed many different kinds of ballet and dance performances. I remember Swan Lake done by Matthey Bourne. I didn't understand it completely, but it was great to watch. There were different meanings going through my mind, wondering what he really wanted to show. Perhaps it didn't matter much. Yet, when I watch Swan Lake, I still prefer the classical ballet performances.

    I will never forget the Nutcracker performed as 'The hard nut', created by Mark Morris. I saw it on Performance Channel in 1999 or 2000. It was amazing and I'm still looking for a dvd here. I had no idea you could do that with classical ballet music. I enjoy both styles, as long as they're done well.

    The Hard Nut trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMNk6uOwLwI

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    re. Gracie & Sleeping Beauty:


    This wouldn't be the first time that a non-artistic skater chooses a well-known ballet music in an effort to be considered as more 'artistic.' We'll see where this goes. I wish her the best. One thing that's for sure: the opening chords of the overture are forceful and appropriate to setting off a series of big jumps.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    191
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^Oh, but you can.

    The problem with Sleeping Beauty, Carmen, Swan Lake, and the other dozen warhorses in rotation is that they have been done time and time and time again. If they wanted to go the well-known music route, I wish they would have picked something a little more suited to Gracie's style. I'm having a hard time imagining this program turning out better than her last FS or the one before that.

    I'm glad she ventured out and went to Zoueva for choreography but just b/c you get a good choreographer doesn't mean everything is going to fall into place. Trying to force a skater to be something they are not never turns out well. Sleeping Beauty is one of the last things I thought Gracie would skate to in an Olympic year.

    I wonder if Zoueva chose the music...if so, this is all her fault.



    Very true. Angela's problem was she that was boring prior to her Sleeping Beauty turnaround. I very clearly remember Uncle Dick basically saying everyone should take a refrigerator break while Angela was skating during nationals that year. Cruel, but true.

    She was always elegant and had that natural grace though...it just took her a bit longer to really connect to her music and choreography.

    I understand your point, however Sleeping Beauty is a 3 hour ballet. I am hopeful they find a fresh take on the music editing that will skew towards Gracie's strengths and not attempt to make her into something she hasn't developed into yet.

    She is also blonde and very pretty.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,218
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sheesh, people are so pessimistic. I think SB is stretch for Gracie but this is the time in her career for her to grow artistically and I am hopeful that such a wonderfully talented skater, with Zoueva's help, can add the refinement that another poster alluded to which this role calls for. Not every SB has to look like Zijun Li, as good as she was. One of the best Auroras and also one of the best Odette/Odiles I ever saw was a "big girl," the sublime and unforgettable Canadian ballerina Martine van Hamel. Her height and build magnified the movements and did not in any way interfere with refined carriage, feet, expression, etc. Also remember that Aurora is meant to be a 16-year-old girl, albeit a very princessy one. In the ballet she bursts onto the scene at her sweet sixteen party with a feat of technique/balance (the Rose Adagio) that represents her youthful maturity and rare perfection. I wouldn't put it past 18-year-old Gracie to do something like that.

    Then again, she could fall terribly short. Or she could start poorly and make it a success by the end of the season... maybe just at the right moment!
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 05-16-2013 at 06:32 PM.

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    26
    Posts
    9,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1017
    Here's a thought: why don't we wait to see Gracie's program before tearing it to shreds?

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near Chicago
    Posts
    2,039
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    Really? I don't think it's at all sad that the sport is moving towards rewarding more the actual athletic elements within a program, since it is afterall and foremost a SPORT.

    Sure it's always great and more enjoyable to watch an artistic or charismatic skater (though personally I don't find much enjoyment in watching even the most artistic skaters flop and fall all over the ice ... heh), but for the sport to have any legitimacy the technical stuff has to matter over the packaging (which is frankly pretty subjective). It'd be way more ludicrous to say who cares if you can't jump so long as you have a great program and presentation! Plus, it's not like the more well-rounded skaters aren't rewarded under the current system, so I really don't see what this lamenting is about -- it's not like Gracie Gold is beating Kosner just because she can hit more of the jumps ...

    That said, I don't really see Sleeping Beauty as something Gracie can pull off either, but who knows?
    You took the words right out of my mouth. This is a sport and it is time that technical ability was more important then presentation. I'm so tired of the constant complaints about a skater that is more of a jumper. I'm not sure this music will be the best for Gracie, but I'm going to wait to see it before I judge it.

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,862
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    You took the words right out of my mouth. This is a sport and it is time that technical ability was more important then presentation. I'm so tired of the constant complaints about a skater that is more of a jumper. I'm not sure this music will be the best for Gracie, but I'm going to wait to see it before I judge it.
    Figure skating is supposed to blend the difficulty of the technical elements with the beauty of music and movement. If you're doing one without the other expect certain fans to be disappointed. I like to see a skater balance the two. I'm not a fan of jumping beans who have amazing jumps but no sense of music/interpretation/artistry/etc. b/c that takes the heart out of the sport for me. Likewise I'm not a fan of beautiful skaters who have lovely programs and beautiful presentation but can't land a jump to save their life...a great skater is able to balance to two.

    As of now Gracie leans heavily towards the technical and that's fine. She hasn't been around that long so it's going to take her some time to figure out who she is as a skater. My hope is that she develops into a skater who can connect to her music and choreography and sell her program in addition to hitting the jumps. If she doesn't, oh well. Everyone can't be good at everything...

    We'll just have to wait to see what kind of skater Gracie turns out to be.

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,024
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I was hoping she would skate to something by Copland. I think it would be a stretch for her but I could also see her pulling it off with the right choreographer.
    I've been wishing that Nagasu would skate to Copeland's Appalachian Spring for a few years now. I think it could be really lovely for her.

  13. #113
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,761
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7828
    I'm just grateful that she's using a different choreographer to that diabolical Scott Brown rubbish she's had to skate to. I for one, am willing to wait and see. Part of my job is to choreograph and I can see in my minds eye how I would get Sleeping Beauty and Gracie Gold to work together successfully in terms of a relevant, yet suitable movement vocabulary and music cuts. I'm looking forward to seeing Zoueva's interpretation of this particular quandary. I'm not convinced she'll get it right but it's not an impossible task and it is entirely possible for Gracie to skate to SB quite successfully without having to morph into Sasha Cohen by August.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4947
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Sheesh, people are so pessimistic. I think SB is stretch for Gracie but this is the time in her career for her to grow artistically and I am hopeful that such a wonderfully talented skater, with Zoueva's help, can add the refinement that another poster alluded to which this role calls for.
    I'm cautiously optimistic...I remember years ago, I never would have thought Yukari Nakano, Giselle, and Zoueva would be a good combination, but it worked out beautifully, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar with Gracie this season.

    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Here's a thought: why don't we wait to see Gracie's program before tearing it to shreds?
    This!!!

  15. #115

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,489
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41400
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    I'm just grateful that she's using a different choreographer to that diabolical Scott Brown rubbish she's had to skate to. I for one, am willing to wait and see. Part of my job is to choreograph and I can see in my minds eye how I would get Sleeping Beauty and Gracie Gold to work together successfully in terms of a relevant, yet suitable movement vocabulary and music cuts. I'm looking forward to seeing Zoueva's interpretation of this particular quandary. I'm not convinced she'll get it right but it's not an impossible task and it is entirely possible for Gracie to skate to SB quite successfully without having to morph into Sasha Cohen by August.
    I'm with you; and will reserve judgement until I see the program.
    I don't expect Sasha Cohen.
    I hope for an improved, consistent and confident Gracie!

  16. #116

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,550
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Paul Parkinson (ITA) tweeted today "@paulio456: Will be skating to Beethoven's 5th with the ending remixed by Wolfgang Gartner this year!" His short program is choreographed by Jeff Buttle.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    I hope we dont have to wait until October to find out what Mao is skating too...
    I just saw a video clip of Mao in New York working with a choreographer (looked female, but could not see who) on a step sequence. The music was Rach 2, 1st movement. Let's just hope 5 other ladies aren't skating to it, too!

  18. #118

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,256
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    40472
    Konstantin Menshov mentioned in his icenetwork interview that he was "going to America" to get his new programs. Anyone hear anything about which choreographers?

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    578
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Akiko Suzuki travelled to Detroit a couple days ago, she tweeted pictures of her plane ticket. Any chance she's getting choreography right now?

  20. #120

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    bowing down to Robert Lepage
    Posts
    3,415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5645
    This is one of my favourite threads each year! Exciting news to get us through the long off season!

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •