Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Boy, that's a stretch for Gracie. She has the look, but does she have the artistry? If Zoueva & Epstein can turn her into Princess Aurora... especially right after Zijun Li's big success with that music... it will be a huge leap forward for her. This will be interesting!
    I think it's a little lame to be using the same music that one of your main competitors used last season, but it's one of those pieces that will have the audience standing at the end as long as you land the jumps. In that regard, I think it's a pretty "safe" choice of music for Gracie. She doesn't have the artistic qualities of Zijun Li or the light, "princess-like" look to her skating, but I'm not sure that the judges will demand that of her, unfortunately. She'll probably do just fine with it.

vCash
    ^^Sleeping Beauty is a warhorse so it's definitely not out-of-the-box in terms of originality. I think there will be a lot of warhorses this year just b/c no one wants to take the risk of the judges hating what they do in an Olympic year. Best to play it safe and venture out season after next.

That said I don't like the music selection for Gracie. It's graceful and light and she is neither of those things. Zijun's program wasn't a masterpiece or anything but it was a lovely program that fit her style: light, airy, lyrical. When I think of Gracie I don't think of lyrical or graceful so it's a bit of a stretch for me to imagine her pulling off this music right now. I hope she's able to prove me wrong...

Because it's Zoueva the program, at the very least, will be decent choreographically. Whether or not Gracie pulls it off convincingly probably won't matter as much as it should as long as she hits the jumps. It's sad but that's the state of things now...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 05-15-2013 at 05:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I think it's a little lame to be using the same music that one of your main competitors used last season, .
    Yes, they couldn't come up with something even a little more original?!

vCash
    I'll be honest. I'm not crazy about the music choice. It's been done. That said, she's a great skater and I'm sure it will be a lovely program. She has the jumps to make a go of whatever program she ends up doing anyway. If you land a triple lutz/triple toe and a handful of other triples, you've got such an edge technically anyway.

vCash
    My apologies if this was posted in another thread and I just missed it, but any word on which choreographer(s) Ashley Wagner is going to be working with? Seeing as she was intent enough on working with someone else that Philip Mills dumped her, she must have had an idea about who that would be . . .?

vCash
    Gold, "Sleeping Beauty" and Zoueva. Wow. Just wow. I could not imagine a combination that (at least on paper) looks more horrifying. Gold needs more character, more personality, she needs to develop her own style. Zoueva is pretty much the last person who could help you achieve that. And that bland, safe and overused music as well? Terrible, terrible choices.

vCash
    While I'm not holding my breath for Gold's new program, who would've thought Angela Nikodinov would have such a great LP to Sleeping Beauty in 2001 after The Mummy the season before?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    While I'm not holding my breath for Gold's new program, who would've thought Angela Nikodinov would have such a great LP to Sleeping Beauty in 2001 after The Mummy the season before?
    Good point. I just love that music and that program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Gold, "Sleeping Beauty" and Zoueva. Wow. Just wow. I could not imagine a combination that (at least on paper) looks more horrifying. Gold needs more character, more personality, she needs to develop her own style. Zoueva is pretty much the last person who could help you achieve that. And that bland, safe and overused music as well? Terrible, terrible choices.
    Maybe she is channelling Rechnio?

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It's graceful and light and she (Gracie) is neither of those things.
    This.

I would love to see her go for a more modern style (à la Kostner). For some reason I feel like it would suit her.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 12m
    . @GraceEGold will skate to music from The Sleeping Beauty, choreographed by Marina Zoueva & Oleg Epstein next season http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Brilliant choice. You can't go wrong with Tchaikovsky

vCash
    ^^Oh, but you can.

The problem with Sleeping Beauty, Carmen, Swan Lake, and the other dozen warhorses in rotation is that they have been done time and time and time again. If they wanted to go the well-known music route, I wish they would have picked something a little more suited to Gracie's style. I'm having a hard time imagining this program turning out better than her last FS or the one before that.

I'm glad she ventured out and went to Zoueva for choreography but just b/c you get a good choreographer doesn't mean everything is going to fall into place. Trying to force a skater to be something they are not never turns out well. Sleeping Beauty is one of the last things I thought Gracie would skate to in an Olympic year.

I wonder if Zoueva chose the music...if so, this is all her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    Very true. Angela's problem was she that was boring prior to her Sleeping Beauty turnaround. I very clearly remember Uncle Dick basically saying everyone should take a refrigerator break while Angela was skating during nationals that year. Cruel, but true.

She was always elegant and had that natural grace though...it just took her a bit longer to really connect to her music and choreography.
    Last edited by kwanatic; 05-15-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I foresee lots of skaters wanting to skate to Russian composers or themes this year, so "Swan Lake" is no surprise to me. I actually thought Zoueva was going to use it for one of her dance teams though.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I foresee lots of skaters wanting to skate to Russian composers or themes this year, so "Swan Lake" is no surprise to me. I actually thought Zoueva was going to use it for one of her dance teams though.
    Gracie's skating to Sleeping Beauty, not Swan Lake. Oh lord, if she were skating to Swan Lake I'd stick my head in the oven!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Isn't "Sleeping Beauty" by Tchaikovsky? Or am I having a brain fart?

ETA: Never mind, I see I typed "Swan Lake" instead of "Sleeping Beauty."

Oh well, I except one of the Russian ballet babies perhaps doing "Swan Lake."
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    It's 'Sleeping Beauty', not 'Swan Lake'.

As for Zoueva's dance teams, I don't think so either. In my opinion, a ballet FD is not suited for Davis/White's style, as their imperfect leg lines (especially Meryl's) would become too apparent in such a dance (it's not last season's generally polka themed SD, after all), and Zoueva must understand that too. And Virtue/Moir are not going to do something quite so banal. Yes, they used 'Carmen' this last season, but then they tried to bring something new to the interpretation and choreography. It's very probable that they, Zoueva and Swan have chosen ballet music, but I bet that it's not 'Swan Lake'.

P.S.: I see that others were faster.

vCash
    I think the first :45 of this part fits Gracie's style quite well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfqQvX8C0Go

Yes, it's only 45 seconds, but the ballet is long and has a lot of varied and different tempos, not just the pwetty pwincess parts.

vCash
    Wow Gracie and Sleeping Beauty. I mean, she's pretty and blonde, and sometimes her leg hits nice, extended positions. But IMO, between her stiffness, muscular build, and powerful and somewhat unrefined skating, it just seems like a mismatch on a big scale. Unless she uses the darker pieces, I think the program could be a big idea. Then again if it's anything like her last two FS programs, the music will just sort of be a backdrop for her jumps and the program won't be telling much of a story anyways, in which case I think the program could be fine/good, especially when she hits those stunning jumps well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Then again if it's anything like her last two FS programs, the music will just sort of be a backdrop for her jumps and the program won't be telling much of a story anyways, in which case I think the program could be fine/good, especially when she hits those stunning jumps well.
    It's kinda sad that's what the sport is moving towards...

Who cares if your program is weak as long as you hit the jumps? *sigh*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Even if it turns out kind of bland, it's GOT to be better than last year's material.
    And better than that awful Sugar Plum Fairy program she did the year before. I would have picked something like Rhapsody in Blue for Gracie. I do think, in an Olympic year, she needs to use recognizable music, even if it is a "warhorse."

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast