Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Such a great program. She needs more fire in the last minute but Miyahara is a gem. She's a real dancer who truly understands movement and phrasing. Not gonna happen, but I so want to see this program performed on the senior stage. It deserves to be skated on Olympic ice rather some shabby JGP rinks.
    She does have 2 senior GPs this year!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    V/M's FD choice sounds interesting, I'm very much looking forward to it, especially knowing their talent. Hopefully they're not going for the "first love" approach to it.
    In the article where the music was revealed Zoueva says that it is about a woman and man relationship and how it changes throughout the seasons of life. So - love, but love from youth to old age, not just first love. They said already before that they don't want 'Mahler' II, so they are going for something classical and elegant (the same as 'Mahler'), but more mature.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 08-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vocal View Post
    I love love love that SP. Great upbeat music. Perfect choice for him. Super fast steps. Truly hope he will make the Japanese Olympic team along with Takahashi and Hanyu.
    I hope so too, vocal.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    You'll get your wish - Satoko Miyahara's scheduled to be at NHK Trophy and Rostelecom Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    She does have 2 senior GPs this year!
    Right, for some reason I thought she was still doing the JGP! I hope she shines at her senior debut this season - can't wait!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    So what exactly is Caro's style and personality? So far girl has rocked Bolero, The Doors, Geisha soundtrack, a Tango, Bill Withers, Cabaret, George Winston, & Pachelbel. What puts Scheherazade over the line?
    What tango? 2010-11 SP?
    That was not good at all.
    Even with her great skills, Caro could not render the feel of tango/flamenco. Look at the footwork sequence.
    It is why I think Caro's musicality is overrated or good/sensitive within a narrow range of music.
    Last edited by t.mann; 08-07-2013 at 09:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    What tango? 2010-11 SP?
    Even with her great skills, Caro could not render the feel of tango/flamenco. Look at the footwork sequence.
    It is why I think Caro's musicality is overrated or good/sensitive within a narrow range of music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    What tango? 2010-11 SP?
    This is just a funny statement, don't you think? So she's allegedly not good at tango/flamenco. And that already equates to she's "only good within a narrow range of music"? Out of all the musical genres?

I believe siouxdonym was referring to Carolina's 2009 SP. I think it was a great program and definitely one of the standouts from that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    including Mao, some skaters revealed new program at The ICE 2013
    Takahiko kozuka SP Unsquare Dance http://youtu.be/UslNV4GT50E
    GREAT choice for Kozuka. Has a similar understated coolness to Take Five from a few seasons back. I earnestly hope he's healthy and injury free and that the jump problems were anomalies. i really want him to have a great season, get lots of hardware, and go to the Olympics.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    This is just a funny statement, don't you think? So she's allegedly not good at tango/flamenco. And that already equates to she's "only good within a narrow range of music"? Out of all the musical genres?

I believe siouxdonym was referring to Carolina's 2009 SP. I think it was a great program and definitely one of the standouts from that year.
    Her 0809 SP too was not special and was somewhat forgettable, IMO.

And I think whether can pull off a tango or not is an important barometer for estimating a skater has a great musicality. I do not mean that all skaters who can produce a great tango program have an exceptional musicality. Just a necessary condition to be considered as having an amazing musicality, IMO.

vCash
    To be honest, as much as Sheherazade is blatantly overused in singles skating, I can really see Kostner doing wonders with it. At the end of the day it is a beautiful and emotional piece, and Carolina is the right type of skater to be doing it. As another poster mentioned; Carolina did justice to Bolero, so I'm sure this will even be much better.

If it were one of the current US ladies using Sheherazade....I would be running to the hills!!!

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    It could be interesting if Kostner went the Scheherazade ballet way.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    I don't get the appeal of Scheherazade at all. I don't like it and don't understand why so many people apparently do. I get why Carmen is so overused, or Swan Lake, or Turandot. But Schez leaves me cold. However - if any current lady could bring a different, mature and stylish interpretation of it it's Carolina. I'm intrigued, even if I don't initially like the choice.

vCash
    The reasons why Scheherazade is overused in skating are 1) It has many variations in tempo and mood to fit different segments in a program and therefore is easy to cut; 2) It has catchy and rousing melodies to fit highlight moves (eg, spirals, jumps, choreo sequence); 3) The ballet has a well known story line to relate to and interpret; the judges/audience won't be confused or bored; 4) It is a ballet, so choroegraphers don't have to work too hard to come up with their own dance moves and positions; they can borrow; 5) It is slightly modern and exotic without being overly experimental and therefore makes you look sophisticated but still accessible to the masses.

It's a perfect lazy choice that won't make you look lazy or cheap. The same can be said about other over used materials, including other Diaghilev/Ballet Russes productions like Afternoon of a Faun and Firebird.

Regardless of the music choices, fans will like what they prepare themselves to like.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    The reasons why Scheherazade is overused in skating are 1) It has many variations in tempo and mood to fit different segments in a program and therefore is easy to cut; 2) It has catchy and rousing melodies to fit highlight moves (eg, spirals, jumps, choreo sequence); 3) The ballet has a well known story line to relate to and interpret; the judges/audience won't be confused or bored; 4) It is a ballet, so choroegraphers don't have to work too hard to come up with their own dance moves and positions; they can borrow; 5) It is slightly modern and exotic without being overly experimental and therefore makes you look sophisticated but still accessible to the masses.
    The problem is that the generic (even lovey with the 1001 nights story) Scheherazade program is the norm. If a skater/team bases a program around the ballet, it would be anything but generic and lovey dovey.
    It contains one of the most sensual dances in ballet and it ends in a bloodbath.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!

vCash
    Yes, if you are a little lazy but still have a reputation to uphold, you borrow from the ballet. If you are too lazy to watch the ballet, you just put in some generic middle eastern arm shapes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    I don't get the appeal of Scheherazade at all. I don't like it and don't understand why so many people apparently do. I get why Carmen is so overused, or Swan Lake, or Turandot. But Schez leaves me cold. However - if any current lady could bring a different, mature and stylish interpretation of it it's Carolina. I'm intrigued, even if I don't initially like the choice.
    Exactly!
    Hope she can skate up to the expectations. Carolina would be my favorite olympic champion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    In the article where the music was revealed Zoueva says that it is about a woman and man relationship and how it changes throughout the seasons of life. So - love, but love from youth to old age, not just first love. They said already before that they don't want 'Mahler' II, so they are going for something classical and elegant (the same as 'Mahler'), but more mature.
    I don't think of youth to old age when I think of seasons. I picture the seasons from spring to winter. Spring being most like the Mahler stage through to autumn/winter which could be a bit more like the Carmen stage but without the blood

vCash
    "Scheherezade" is the one piece of music I never tire of (), so I can't wait to see Caro's interpretation!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Of course, it's possible to watch the ballet and fill a program with a ton of "Eastern" gestures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duij3dxVOdU

Farukh Ruzimatov can dance shirtless anytime he wants

(I can't see a program that leaves out this music, as much as I might hope, as I hoped that Vincent Zhou's "Nutcracker" would leave out the Pas de Deux music, but, alas, it showed up as Part 2.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Of course, it's possible to watch the ballet and fill a program with a ton of "Eastern" gestures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duij3dxVOdU

Farukh Ruzimatov can dance shirtless anytime he wants

(I can't see a program that leaves out this music, as much as I might hope, as I hoped that Vincent Zhou's "Nutcracker" would leave out the Pas de Deux music, but, alas, it showed up as Part 2.)
    I like this version, with Serebriakova and Zelensky. It's just
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast