Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    If they did follow in MY footsteps their feet would be better secured to the ground!
    ^^ So I guess that means you believe you're more grounded. Or, that you can't skate and don't dare learn how.

Seriously, who knows what life has in store for any of us? No matter what happens to Adam in the future, he's very blessed and it seems to me he's taking a positive approach to his skating career and giving it his all. Not everyone can or will make it to the top of the Olympic podium. It's about what you do with what happens to you, what you learn, what you give, and enjoying the moments of that journey. For fans, it's the special moments we'll always remember re our favorite skaters, not how many medals they win or lose. If we're caught up in the medals then we'll never be satisfied and we'll miss the moments that matter most.

I loved Adam's performances at Nats this year and last, along with some other special memories. I wish him the best of luck this coming season.

ETA:

It's nice to see so many people enthusiastic re Jason's Riverdance, especially in light of the more tepid responses when his program was announced earlier in this thread. From what I've read, many people seem to admire Rohene's choreography, which is still a work-in-progress. Jason is definitely an exceptional skater with a bright enthusiastic personality which I hope he never loses.

Jason, Rohene, and Kori have been a great match and I'm intrigued to see how Jason's new program develops. He moves so beautifully and he interprets the music equally beautifully. While the program already has depth and nuance, it was actually difficult for me to get a good sense of the overall moves and footwork since the video's quality while sharp was not great re Jason's black pants fading into the the black boards. I do feel spoiled when it comes to watching Jason. I can't wait to see his new costumes and see this program's further development in the fall.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.

vCash
    The second half of Jason's programs is absolutely packed. Transitions everywhere.

vCash
    I'm not sold on RD yet. I'm sure it'll get much better as the season progressed. I don't think RV music lends itself to IJS footwork very well though. The music demands fast, nimble footwork, but you can see that Jason still has to do all the turns and twists to satisfy IJS; I felt the footwork didn't go with the music.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Finally someone saw the light! Jason has sacrifized speed for transitions and lost the charm of the music. Not wise IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm not sold on RD yet. I'm sure it'll get much better as the season progressed. I don't think RV music lends itself to IJS footwork very well though. The music demands fast, nimble footwork, but you can see that Jason still has to do all the turns and twists to satisfy IJS; I felt the footwork didn't go with the music.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Akiko Suzuki updated her blog and announced her new programs.
    SP: Hymne a L'amour   choreographed by Massimo Scali
    FS: Phantom of the Opera   choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo
    oohhhh! very excited. this will be fabulous
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Two of the songs, but not the specific bands playing them, yes...

First song - Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White
    Second song- Besame Mucho

The last one is really familiar, but I can't remember where I heard it (it sounds more like salsa than cha cha though).
    The last part is from Santa Esmeralda "Queremos Mas Chacha" /"Another Chacha"

Ha! Both Karen Kadavy(SP) and D/S(OD) have used it before (both used different parts of this song).

vCash
    Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables should earn music penalties. I mean, seriously...

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    LOOOOVED his footwork, speed and rhythm. And despite this being his first outing, I was shocked by how well the footwork went with the music. How can anyone NOT see the greatness that this program is destined to be? an unbelievably long shot, but I really hope he makes it to the Sochi (along with Abbott )

JASON FREAKIN BROWN's LP!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables should earn music penalties. I mean, seriously...

vCash
    Phantom of the Opera and Akiko Suzuki? I'll take it . I'd rather see last years Long Program make a re-appearance, but Akiko can do POTO some justice so I can't complain

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by apple123 View Post
    Finally someone saw the light! Jason has sacrifized speed for transitions and lost the charm of the music. Not wise IMO.
    Just out of curiosity, do you make the same complaint with Patrick Chan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Can I make that complaint about Patrick Chan? Not necessarily the speed, but the musical expression is often secondary these days to the display of skill and the inclusion of transitions. Chan just happens to be stronger than his competitors when it comes to the technical components (SS/TR). Because this is what the system incentivizes: transitions and display of skill, with their fit to the music being secondary. And this is what many fans seem to prioritize as well, seeing as how there seem to be a lot more complaints about programs that lack transitions than those that are weaker in other respects.

To give Jason credit, he does try to do more than play by the rules, and he seems quite charming, but I don't find the result as appealing as many here seem to.

vCash
    I knew someone would bring Patrick Chan in the discussion sooner or later. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    FWIW, Camerlengo choreographed Weaver/Poje's 2009/10 FD to "Phantom of the Opera" for those wondering about music cuts.
    Didn't Camerlengo also choreograph the LP for Denney/Coughlin last season to Phantom of the Opera? Camerlengo may have developed a soft spot for this music.

Anyway, we will be able to compare Suzuki's version with Gedevanishvili's of a couple of years ago, as choreographed by David Wilson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Can I make that complaint about Patrick Chan? Not necessarily the speed, but the musical expression is often secondary these days to the display of skill and the inclusion of transitions. Chan just happens to be stronger than his competitors when it comes to the technical components (SS/TR). Because this is what the system incentivizes: transitions and display of skill, with their fit to the music being secondary. And this is what many fans seem to prioritize as well, seeing as how there seem to be a lot more complaints about programs that lack transitions than those that are weaker in other respects.

To give Jason credit, he does try to do more than play by the rules, and he seems quite charming, but I don't find the result as appealing as many here seem to.
    I'd argue that the complaints about lack of musical expression are certainly prevalent (especially in the discussion of Patrick Chan) - how often do we have yet another article/post complaining about the lack of artistry COP celebrates and so on? I do agree that COP incentives transitions to an unnecessary degree.

Jason Brown is an interesting case. He's been overhyped by the internet machine since US Nationals 2011 and I can't deny I've reacted negatively to that. But he hasn't done much for me either - I saw hints of what everyone else did at World juniors last year, and I'm eager to see him improve (inasmuch as I'm eager to see all juniors improve). But I think a wait-and-see is in order for this program especially given how it's triggered some epic praise already.

vCash
    Why are you so sensitive miskarne? apple123 is not even a Chan fan. As VarBar says... 'I knew someone will bring Chan's name up' - three names immediately jump to my mind and we all know who they are and in case you are not aware, you are one of them miskarne.
    Jason is very delightful to watch, happy?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Why are you so sensitive miskarne? apple123 is not even a Chan fan. As VarBar says... 'I knew someone will bring Chan's name up' - three names immediately jump to my mind and we all know who they are and in case you are not aware, you are one of them miskarne.
    Jason is very delightful to watch, happy?
    No, I am curious. I keep hearing people raving about Chan's transitions being part of his "deservedly" high PCS, when all I see is him throwing the kitchen sink out there without any regard for musical connection. And yet Jason, with his innate musicality, is being slapped down for loading up on transitions.

Jason is always delightful to watch, so I am always happy.

vCash
    No, I am curious. I keep hearing people raving about Chan's transitions being part of his "deservedly" high PCS, when all I see is him throwing the kitchen sink out there without any regard for musical connection. And yet Jason, with his innate musicality, is being slapped down for loading up on transitions.
    Be prepared misskarne. The more well known the skater becomes, the more detractors he/she will accrue. apple123 wont't be the last. You will have to stand guard 24/7. Good luck.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I do agree that COP incentives transitions to an unnecessary degree.
    Not sure about that because I've often see fans complaining about empty programs being as generously rewarded on the TR mark as programs that had complex choreographies between the technical elements.

vCash
    Courtney Hicks has announced her music: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    (07/03/2013) - Courtney Hicks, the 2011 U.S. junior champion and reigning U.S. pewter medalist, will be working with two different choreographers in the upcoming season.

The recently retired Jonathan Cassar has choreographed Hicks' new free skate, to Evita. The program will tell part of the story of Eva Perón's life, as depicted in the movie based on the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical.
    For her short program, Hicks will skate to another movie score, one with a special significance for her.

"My short program is the Soul Surfer soundtrack by Marco Beltrami," Hicks said. "It's based on a true story, and it kind of pertains to my whole story with the injury and everything."
    Alex Chang, who co-coaches her with Jere Michael, choreographed her SP.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Very nice programs for Brown. What a lot of talented 17yo kids - Hanyu, Brown, Farris and Yan. Can't wait to see who will prevail and dominate in the next couple of years. Hanyu is the kid to beat for now.
    You're right they are talented, but only Yan is still 17 y/o. The rest of them are already 18, turning 19 in the winter. Time Flies...

I really like Jason's FS and think I'm maybe starting to become a fan. This program is at least way better than Liebestraume, which was lovely but put me right to sleep. Not this! Can't wait to see it all polished up!

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast