Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    Paola Mezzadri doesn't skate too when she choreographs, and Ludmila Vlasova too.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Article about the Cannuscio ice dancing sisters - older sister Isabella skates with Michael Bramante (they placed 9th in their debut at 2013 U.S. Nationals) and younger sister Anastasia skates with Colin McManus (their second 6th place finish at Nationals): http://www.ice-dance.com/main/news/g...for-cannuscios
    Relevant excerpts re. program music:
    “Michael’s and my goal this year is to get into the ISP and show everyone an improvement from last year,” says Isabella. In pursuit of their goal, the team will be skating a short dance to a selection from Harry Connick, Jr., and a Classical Waltz medley for the free. “Both programs are very different from anything either of us have skated to,” she says, “so we are very excited to show everyone a different side of our skating.”
    [Anastasia:] "... I feel like Colin and I grow as skaters more and more every season, and we want to continue to progress just as we have over the past few seasons.” The team has paired its take on the Finnstep short dance with two standards as interpreted by Rufus Wainwright – “Puttin On the Ritz” and “Get Happy” – and will be skating their free dance to An American in Paris.
    Excerpted from this post in the U.S. Pairs news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3935314
    Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay (Cup of China) have two new programs choreographed by their coach, Jim Peterson:
    Music from Carousel (SP) and Selections from Les Misérables (FS).

Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea's programs are also choreographed by Jim Peterson:
    From Russia with Love - James Bond film (SP) and Don Quixote - ballet by Minkus.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-07-2013 at 02:55 AM. Reason: To add pairs' music
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oops I assumed Wilson was not a skater, but learned to skate later while choreographing. This was based on my experiences. It seems he was a skater, thanks for letting me know!....

I had a student get choreography from David Wilson 6 or so years ago, he did it all from the boards and never skated. He did not have a good knowledge of turns (rockers, counters etc.) and was sketchy on skating terms in general. He seemed like a dancer teaching (very precise, and very good I might add) movement. He did not seem like a skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Oops I assumed Wilson was not a skater, but learned to skate later while choreographing. This was based on my experiences. It seems he was a skater, thanks for letting me know!....

I had a student get choreography from David Wilson 6 or so years ago, he did it all from the boards and never skated. He did not have a good knowledge of turns (rockers, counters etc.) and was sketchy on skating terms in general. He seemed like a dancer teaching (very precise, and very good I might add) movement. He did not seem like a skater.
    Wilson retired in his late teens, and he competed at the junior level at least, though not very successfully; he has said he didn't really like competing and described himself as a "proficient" skater. I believe he also had Osgood-Schlatter disease, and couldn't continue skating competitively even if he had wanted to (Florent Amodio had Osgood-Schlatter at a younger age, and was forced to take a long hiatus from skating). I doubt Wilson is unfamiliar with skating terms considering his background as a skater and his many years of work as a choreographer, and I imagine that if he uses non-skating terminology, it's because it's easier for him to communicate his ideas that way while working with clients from pretty diverse backgrounds.

Of course there are skaters who work/have worked with people who are not normally involved in skating (e.g. Jeremy Abbott and Benji Schwimmer, Pechalat/Bourzat and Julien Cottereau).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    Wilson skated in the early 1980s (he would have been 18 in 1985), so he must have learned figures. How could he possibly not know the turns?

vCash
    Sometimes the actual terminology just doesn't sink in, and a skater goes purely on instinct rather than calling out all the correct terms. Shrug.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Sometimes the actual terminology just doesn't sink in, and a skater goes purely on instinct rather than calling out all the correct terms. Shrug.
    He was very leisurely (in a good way) so this was likely the case. It was also at the very beginnings of the IJS system, I guess it doesn't surprise me that he wasn't using a lot of the skating vocabulary we use now. It just seemed to me that he wasn't a skater, didn't know it for a fact! Now I know the opposite to be true

vCash
    I would say he moves pretty well over the ice
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W84...604C82D2DC33A4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I didn't see this posted anywhere else for the thread, but Adam Rippon will be skating to "Turandot" by Puccini for his SP and "Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun" by Debussy for his FS (choreo. by Rafael Aratunian).

He previewed the programs at 2013 Gardena.

SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEbhdLqQgG0

FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCTyBccNC1w
    His LP is lovely. Great music choice for him.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteorlight View Post
    Rumor on Chinese forums that Han Yan's short will be Minor Waltz from Doubles Jeux (Laurent Korcia) and Viper's Drag. Not sure how legit this is.
    According to a recent Chinese article, his lp is Silence of the Lamb and the short is some sort of wild movement (can't make it out from the article)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    According to a recent Chinese article, his lp is Silence of the Lamb and the short is some sort of wild movement (can't make it out from the article)
    Wow, I am completely intrigued by that LP choice.

vCash
    Wow. Love Adam's LP!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Is the wild movement a piece of music or a description of his skating?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Title-less
    vCash
    It is a rather bad translation on my part; the quote literally says it's gonna be the movements of a person who is hysterical or mad (and he says it's v challenging), and the long program inspiration from Silence of the Lamb. Not sure whether it means the whole piece is Silence of the Lamb or that only the idea of it is in the program

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    It is a rather bad translation on my part; the quote literally says it's gonna be the movements of a person who is hysterical or mad (and he says it's v challenging), and the long program inspiration from Silence of the Lamb.
    It sounds interesting and hopefully voidy. Thank you very much for explaining and for the translation.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Is the wild movement a piece of music or a description of his skating?
    Maybe a tango?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    According to a recent Chinese article, his lp is Silence of the Lamb
    Hope it doesn't mean he gets sacrificed when it comes to choosing who goes to Sochi...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hope it doesn't mean he gets sacrificed when it comes to choosing who goes to Sochi...
    He can invite whoever is chosen for some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Problem solved.

I think Adrian Schultheiss's take on this concept is kind of the definitive one. How can that possibly be topped by a teenager?

vCash
    A friend of mine talked with Jason Brown at Ice Dreams show in Oakland and he told her that:

SP: The Question of U (Prince) - the same as this season

FS: Riverdance

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    A friend of mine talked with Jason Brown at Ice Dreams show in Oakland and he told her that:

SP: The Question of U (Prince) - the same as this season

FS: Riverdance

Oh no!

If he had to keep a program, why couldn't it have been Liebestraume?

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast