Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 800 of 1005
  1. #781
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10350
    That SP for Verner sounds fun and should be a nice change of pace from all of the dramatik Russian music I expect to hear. I must not be a very good fan, because I didn't even remember he'd skated to those tangos back in 2009.

  2. #782

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Hanyu revealed his new long program in Tronto today. It's "Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota. He doesn't change his SP.
    http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNAS...20C13A8000000/
    as we know, another romeo&juliet-music was lucky for him 2 seasons ago.

    i like this music of nino rota, but it's just overused in figure skating and you have to do really well and great to catch my eye on a program with this music. we will see

  3. #783

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    la cumparsita - oh how i would have loved to see cohens short program originally planed in 2010.

    all the best for verner. tough seasons for him.

  4. #784
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,159
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I can't even remember Verner's last good big competition, or last good competition at that.

  5. #785

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,668
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't even remember Verner's last good big competition, or last good competition at that.
    2011 Euros? Not a great LP, but fairly decent overall and he medalled.

    I like the sound of his SP, if he ever skates it well it could be a lot of fun.

  6. #786
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't even remember Verner's last good big competition, or last good competition at that.
    He did well in the 10-11 season, 3rd at CoC, 1st at COR (ahead of Chan, who Zayaked, but still), 5th with decent skates at GPF, 3rd at Euros, 12th in a deep field at Worlds (not a great result for him, but his skates there were decent). So really it is not so far back that you have to dig to get good results from him. I also think he was pretty decent at Czech Nationals the past couple seasons, scoring like 150-160 in the FS. I think he can still do the jumps, the trouble is all in his head, and then injuries don't help either.

  7. #787
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,043
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I expected to see a lot of "safe" music selections for an Olympic year, but I did not expect so many programs that reuse the skaters' own previous programs. Must be a new trend. So, the way things are going, by the time we get to 2018, skaters will skate to no music at all and just go through all their technical elements.

    Why cannabalize other (previous) skaters' music when you can cannabalize your own?
    Last edited by Jun Y; 08-21-2013 at 08:11 PM.

  8. #788

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,573
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun Y View Post
    I expected to see a lot of "safe" music selections for an Olympic year, but I did not expect so many programs that reuse the skaters' own previous programs. Must be a new trend. So, the way things are going, by the time we get to 2018, skaters will skate to no music at all and just go through all their technical elements.

    (Bolded by me)


  9. #789

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39669
    Belgium's @JorikHendrickx just tweeted:
    "Let's announce my new music for the upcoming and Olympic season = SP : Caravan / LP : Rhapsody in Blue choreographed by Shanetta Folle !"
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  10. #790
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I like the Nina Rota soundtrack of Romeo and Julia most. I haven't seen that movie, but that music is lovely. I'm not tired of that one yet.

  11. #791
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    149
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Warhorse notwithstanding, the music itself suits Hanyu IMO. This could be very
    I disagree. I'm tired of Hanyu being slapped the ol' "classical" program. It's not him! It feels like they're trying to fit him into a mold or something.

    The Notre Dame de Paris SP? Eh.

    The Scriabin SP from 2011/12? Yes, that was him, but it was subtle. The Jeff Buttle SP from 2012/13 perfectly suits his body line and skating style, and it feels unique, and it's not flashy in an obvious way.

    In an documentary about Hanyu I saw a couple months ago, Orser kept using Chan as the gold standard for which Yuzuru had to live up to. It's fair to admire, but everyone should be allowed to not try and be Chan.

    Let people have their own style!

  12. #792

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    181
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by lahaa968 View Post
    I disagree. I'm tired of Hanyu being slapped the ol' "classical" program. It's not him! It feels like they're trying to fit him into a mold or something.

    The Notre Dame de Paris SP? Eh.

    The Scriabin SP from 2011/12? Yes, that was him, but it was subtle. The Jeff Buttle SP from 2012/13 perfectly suits his body line and skating style, and it feels unique, and it's not flashy in an obvious way.

    In an documentary about Hanyu I saw a couple months ago, Orser kept using Chan as the gold standard for which Yuzuru had to live up to. It's fair to admire, but everyone should be allowed to not try and be Chan.

    Let people have their own style!
    You're tired... me too honestly problem is that Hanyu has said that he can get into this old classical program to Romeo very easily, so he evidently feels that it suits his style, regardless of us liking it or not. Being good at or liking classical programs doesn't mean that things like Parisian Walkways are not his style as well, it just means that he has different facets in his still-budding skating style, and likely his personality as well.
    One thing I have to correct you on, though, is what you wrote about the documentary. I've watched it more than once and I'm pretty sure Orser has never mentioned Hanyu (or whoever) having to take Patrick's style as a gold standard in fact, the whole focus of that feature is skating skills, and Orser talks at length about of Hanyu has to work on them because if he trustes his blades he can do whatever he wants on the ice. It's talking about skating skills that he mentions Patrick as a standard, not style.

  13. #793

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,845
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Belgium's @JorikHendrickx just tweeted:
    "Let's announce my new music for the upcoming and Olympic season = SP : Caravan / LP : Rhapsody in Blue choreographed by Shanetta Folle !"
    yeah, shanette folle is still alive

  14. #794

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,121
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6801
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    I like the Nina Rota soundtrack of Romeo and Julia most. I haven't seen that movie, but that music is lovely. I'm not tired of that one yet.
    you should, it's absolutely brilliant
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

    Bruce Lee

  15. #795
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Perhaps I will then, thank you for the suggestion.

  16. #796

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  17. #797

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    181
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    825
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    also here, different angulation (and nice ina bauer from 0.44)

  18. #798

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,492
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39669
    Cross-posting this tweet by Lynn Rutherford from Champs Champ: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/s...60918862864384
    Jeremy Abbott will skate his short to Lilies of the Valley by Jun Miyake. This music was used in the movie Pina. http://twitpic.com/d9m6kh
    In addition to Savchenko/Szolkowy making it famous, this was also Menshov's SP music last season.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  19. #799
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,927
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32049
    Quote Originally Posted by sadya View Post
    Perhaps I will then, thank you for the suggestion.
    I'll be sure not to spoil the ending for you.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  20. #800
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    396
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Haha, thank you.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •