Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Denney & Coughlin reveal their 2013-14 programs, choreographed by Julie Marcotte

"Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Is there a 2013-14 Music/Program thread that I missed?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Glad he's doing well and I wish them a successful and healthy season.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    So, music from 'Anastasia' for the SP and 'Casablanca' for the LP. I guess that might work ...

vCash
    Thank heavens Sappenfield saw a need for someone else to choreograph their programs. Marcotte is becoming quite the "it girl" for pairs choreography, isn't she?
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Thank heavens Sappenfield saw a need for someone else to choreograph their programs. Marcotte is becoming quite the "it girl" for pairs choreography, isn't she?
    She is and has a gorgeous point of view. I still think that Lori and Zueva are under used. I am just not a Camerlengo fan when it comes to pairs.

vCash
    Denney in a pwetty princess role. What a match-made in heaven!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    This is confusing because I searched her students and most of them have used a professional choreographer last year "Camerlengo" did their programs so?? not sure what the Thank Heavens is for. Marcotte is good but I fear over used soon all the programs for pairs will all look the same but I guess it is a flavor of the month thing.
    Still very excited to see what develops.

vCash
    Pasquale Camerlengo choreographed D/C's POTO free skate and their original SP to a swing medley that was replaced by "Aranjuez" (choreographed by Sappenfield after 2012 Champs Camp).

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Is there a 2013-14 Music/Program thread that I missed?
    No, but I've started one: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...-known-to-date
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Well I think Denny would be more believable in the "pwetty princess role" than John as the dashing prince

vCash
    How very Tara Lipinski!

I sure wish Alissa's recovery had gone as well!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    So glad that John is healthy. I can't wait to see how these two interpret this music. They are such strong skaters and I look forward to seeing Casablanca on ice!

vCash
    I'm thinking that because the SP music will be 'Disney' rather than some angst-ridden piece regarding a 'missing' Russian princess, it won't be out of their league and we will all be safe . IMO, the music is a step up from war horses like 'Tosca' (electric guitar version) and that Spanish SP piece from last season. POTO and EOE weren't bad for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I'm thinking that because the SP music will be 'Disney' rather than some angst-ridden piece regarding a 'missing' Russian princess, it won't be out of their league and we will all be safe .
    Anastasia is a cartoon movie, that Denney called "Disney" in the article, so that is clearly what they are going for. (The movie wasn't actually made by Disney though.) As AxelAnnie mentioned- Tara Lipinski skated to Anastasia, when she won the Olympics.

Though there are a few dramatic songs in that movie, it will surely be 'pretty princess' and not angsty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Anastasia is a cartoon movie, that Denney called "Disney" in the article, so that is clearly what they are going for. (The movie wasn't actually made by Disney though.) As AxelAnnie mentioned- Tara Lipinski skated to Anastasia, when she won the Olympics.

Though there are a few dramatic songs in that movie, it will surely be 'pretty princess' and not angsty.
    I don't think they are going for "Disney" if you look at this bit.
    Marcotte has had a special version of the music recorded for the team, adding a piano part to the movie score.

"The piece of music that we're skating to doesn't sound like a Disney orchestrated piece," Coughlin said. "It's very mature, very different."
    I'm very curious to see this program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I don't think they are going for "Disney" if you look at this bit.

I'm very curious to see this program.
    This seems like very odd prep-work though. There are WAY better ways to research the history of Anastasia than watching the cartoon if you aren't going for that portrayal.

"Actually, the first thing we did was sit down and watch the movie together," Coughlin said. "Caydee knew it by heart." "I love Disney," Denney confirmed (Anastasia is actually 20th Century Fox, not Disney).
    The quote you pulled, it sounds like they took music from the movie, and changed it a bit- but it is still music from the movie.

Marcotte has had a special version of the music recorded for the team, adding a piano part to the movie score.

vCash
    I think I'm most interested in John's quote that describes the music as "very mature" and "very different". I wouldn't normally think about the soundtrack to Anastasia in those terms. Hopefully they've gone beyond the movie to understand the story, if that's what they are portraying.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Is any of this music powerful? I don't know why they'd want to go against type and do pwetty when they could both do powerful really well.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I sure hope they work hard on their posture (his especially) and expression or else Julie is going to be repackaging the same returned gift. It would help is Denney learned more facial expressions than SMILE! John is such a masculine powerful guy but its covert. A few reference points of great male skaters who were masculine but attentive to their female partner and still had power, expression and character; Hongbo Zhao, Anton Sikharulidze, David Pelletier, Sergri Grinkov to name a few. He could take a page from their books. This team has great skills no doubt but it stops there. They dont have a hallmark yet and to me thats what Sappenfields teams are missing. None of her pairs to me have great distinction.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast