vCash

ISU removing youtube videos

I have found it impossible to keep up with figure skating this season as its no longer shown where I am Youtube has helped. But guess what, the ISU are taking down the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyirus7iTGY

Thank you very much ISU If they want to switch off there own life support machine, then good luck to them. No wonder folk are walking away. There is so much else to follow without having to climb mount everest

vCash
    I have not read the article yet, but this sucks big time. Our TV stations don't cover FS. The YT is a wonderful way to not only watch current skating but also skaters from the past.
    I am already starved for live coverage of FS. Now they are taking away all the remaining pleasure from me.

vCash
    The somewhat good news is that you can watch all the WTT programs at the ISU site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    The somewhat good news is that you can watch all the WTT programs at the ISU site.
    http://livemanager.eurovision.edgesu...ite/index.html
    "Replay of the ISU World Team Trophy 2013, Tokyo Japan. Due to rights restrictions, this video is not available in the following territories: Korea and Japan."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Dred View Post
    I have found it impossible to keep up with figure skating this season as its no longer shown where I am Youtube has helped. But guess what, the ISU are taking down the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyirus7iTGY

Thank you very much ISU If they want to switch off there own life support machine, then good luck to them. No wonder folk are walking away. There is so much else to follow without having to climb mount everest
    ITA - When interest in figure skating is dwindling around the world and TV coverage is getting worse and worse, this was one of the few ways left for fans to see skating and for new viewers to be introduced to it. Their cutting their own throats by removing them.

I dont even understand what they are losing by leaving them up. It's not like they have their own internet channel where you can pay and watch anything you want. So what are they losing???? They do put some things on their website, but they are often geoblocked, and they are free - so they are losing nothing with YouTube vids. It's a good way to advertise the sport and keep the fans happy. Other sports care about things like that and that attitude helps make them successful.

This decision is just crazy.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Lol . . . Yep, that's right. Nip the business model of the future in the bud.

vCash
    Skating videos are hardly the only videos getting pulled for copy right issues. If you need to save them for posterity, use Media Catcher or Keep Tube.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Skating videos are hardly the only videos getting pulled for copy right issues. If you need to save them for posterity, use Media Catcher or Keep Tube.
    IF you can get them in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Skating videos are hardly the only videos getting pulled for copy right issues.
    Yeah, I don't see why the original poster assumes the ISU had anything to do with this action. This looks to be some individual's youtube account where they posted skates from copyrighted telecasts and one of those rights holders found it and had it taken down. It happens all the time on Youtube. I think it probably was one of the commercial firms (Fintage Publishing BV, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing) who complained, as they are much more likely to be paying someone to patrol Youtube for copyright violations.

Still, it would be nice if the ISU maintained a set of videos from their championships somewhere. Alternatively, they could perhaps revise their broadcaster licensing agreements to include a time limitation, so videos could be posted after a year or two at least.

vCash
    The ISU has been doing this for quite some time. I actually spent a few months doing weekly newsvids on figure skating, until after last year's 4CC, when they blocked my video, at which point I discountinued. That's the earliest I know them to have done it, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear they'd been doing it longer than that.
    Oddly enough, I've known them to not always block videos, but sometimes slap ads on them to make money. How they decide when to do what is anyone's guess...

vCash
    It is horrible they do this. You cant buy the videos off them anyway so what are they protecting. Maybe they are scared of all the bad judging past being uncovered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    Yeah, I don't see why the original poster assumes the ISU had anything to do with this action. .
    If you click on the link, you see this message -

This video contains content from International Skating Union, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

It's clear it's the ISU doing this and God only knows why. They are losing absolutely nothing and gaining quite a lot from leaving these videos up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    If you click on the link, you see this message -

This video contains content from International Skating Union, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
    When I clicked on it, it listed the ISU, Fintage Publishing BV, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing, one or more of whom had blocked it. Today it just says it's been removed by the user.

vCash
    It reminds me of this article written after Takahashi debuted his hip hop SP at 2007 Skate America.

http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article11080703.aspx
    Unfortunately, so much buzz was created around Takahashi’s program that someone in U.S. Figure Skating learned it had been posted to YouTube and actually tried to have it pulled on the grounds that such a posting was in violation of copyright law. Yes, that’s right, the very organization that is publicly lamenting the decline in popularity of figure skating actually tried to pull what was one of the best conceivable advertisements for the sport and an advertisement for which they did not even have to pay. The posting of Takahashi’s short program to YouTube was manna from heaven for U.S. Figure Skating and yet they tried to pull it, presumably because they thought it would reduce the audience for the newly formed Icenetwork, the subscription service that broadcasts skating competitions over the internet, and perhaps even pull viewers from NBC broadcasts of competitions. Anyone with a modicum of understanding of advertising and marketing would see immediately, however, that this small but crucial bit of exposure on YouTube would undoubtedly increase the audience for skating rather than reduce it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    When I clicked on it, it listed the ISU, Fintage Publishing BV, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing, one or more of whom had blocked it. Today it just says it's been removed by the user.
    When it first happened, it stated ISU

vCash
    Gag. Gag. Gag. You can watch how to build bombs and how to remove security tags on purchases on youtube but those figure skating videos cannot be shown! Right!