Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Here's more about the sisters - one is living in Jersey now and the other was living in Jersey recently, but the article doesn't say where she's living now.

http://www.northjersey.com/fairview/...d_bombers.html
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    The younger suspect is believed to have bombs strapped to his person and is most likely desperate. The shut down is to reduced the opportunities he has to take hostages and/or take more lives. His brother allegedly had bombs strapped to his person which may have detonated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    They should hire Uncle Ruslan.
    Oh, Lefty...thanks for the smile.

Hell, Uncle Ruslan would be a much needed replacement for Wolf, who is getting on my last nerve.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    The legal following of our laws and constitution DOES NOT MATTER? I disagree. This makes it something entirely different.

Are we going to bang ourselves on our heads at how awful America is because we didn't just ignore this take it in stride and not let the possibility that this man might kill additional people change anyone's behavior.

Sure, let's. Why shouldn't my sister have gone to Harvard Square. So what if her going had meant she'd be one of one or two more casualities? After all hundres and thousands die in war zones. Why not a few more maimings and deaths so we don't let people claim we look like we've turned into a dictatorship on their TV screens.

Wow, I'm glad I don't have a TV and haven't been accessing international press, instead talking to my family and friends in and from Boston.

I'm glad my friends, my sister, all her good friends, and everyone is being protected. A few days out of the ordinary are better than more such deaths and injuries as happened at the Marathon.

The political junkies can go on and on about the implications and the future. That's a big so what until everyone is safe.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    But this was not 9/11, the Bombay bombings or the Beslan slaughter of children, also carried out by Chechen terrorists. It wasn’t the Bali nightclub bombings, the downing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie or the destruction of the federal building in Oklahoma. And it didn’t come close even to the Tel Aviv Dolphinarium carnage, the killing of students in Maalot or the murder of 39 Palestinians in the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron.

Therefore, in terms of cost-benefit analysis, from the evil terrorist’s point of view, the Boylston Street bombings and their after aftermath can only be viewed as a resounding triumph. If the primary goal of terror attacks is to instill fear and intimidate people, to influence governments and to attract world attention, then the Boston bombers have probably succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.
    Thanks for posting. Yes, I agree with most of it. I understand that there is a truly dangerous individual out there, but that is not unprecedented. This sort of attack is sadly not unprecedented, either (as noted above, there have been worse). But essentially shutting down a major city to deal with it is something of a precedent, and maybe not the best one to set.

Not that I want to have a competition for most evil, but Beslan was horrific. It's awful to think that's the kind of thing that may have been an inspiration to them.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Here is most of it and it substantiates the appearance issue above. Sorry, Jenny, I'm an expert in what things look like and your painstaking analysis of what is actually the legal case has no impact on this immense media torrent the world is drowning in:
    Whoa there. I did not offer any painstaking analysis - I said that I didn't see it as martial law or even the appearance of martial law is, and I explained why. But apparently you are the expert, so why don't you educate the rest of us non-experts in painstaking detail why this situation gives the appearance of martial law?

And do I need to remind you that this is a largely anonymous community? While you may have chosen to tell everyone what you do for a living, most have not. Among the thousands of members of FSU and perhaps hundreds of regular posters, including everyone who has contributed to this thread, you might be surprised at the qualifications and background of your fellow posters, and indeed their areas of expertise.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What does he mean "all hell will break loose?" I am not watching.
    He means he'll stamp his foot and pout.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    BR, I think I love you.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think that maybe this discussion, or at least parts of it, should be moved to PI.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    An article on the situation in the suspects' native region: http://news.yahoo.com/russias-caucas...113721792.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I think that maybe this discussion, or at least parts of it, should be moved to PI.
    I was thinking earlier today that this is the most action this forum has had in years! But we're here now, and I think this forum is open to all members whereas PI is not, so maybe that's why the admins didn't move it?

ETA oops spoke a moment too soon, here we are in PI!

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Interesting, their more or less native region has been Massachusetts, they haven't had any connection to Chechnya, but somehow they are still linked to it. Go figure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I was thinking earlier today that this is the most action this forum has had in years! But we're here now, and I think this forum is open to all members whereas PI is not, so maybe that's why the admins didn't move it?
    PI is visible to all members but not to people who haven't registered/signed in.

It is weird to see the story still being reported on sports websites. It's very obviously not a sports story anymore, or at least, the sports part isn't the main thing.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    native--Associated with the country, region, or circumstances of a person's birth. The suspects' father is still in the region, the eldest brother has visited presumably the region in Russia for 6 months, they grew up there, so yes, they are linked to it. They are not natives of MA.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-19-2013 at 11:06 PM.

from Speedy Death

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    native--Associated with the country, region, or circumstances of a person's birth. The suspects' father is still in the region, the eldest brother has visited presumably the region in Russia for 6 months, so yes, they are linked to it. They are not natives of MA.
    I thought you were ignoring me.

vCash
    This day has been incredibly surreal. I'm not in one of the affected towns, so life proceeds as normal, but of course, I'm glued to the news. It's weird to think that a city just a few miles away has come to an almost complete stop.

I hate to say this, but I think the kid got away. And that's scary and its uncertain as to what that means for the next days.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    And this, along with home searches and restrictions on movement, is a component of martial law, I would point out. I am not saying (and neither is my colleague) that it is anything but the appearance of martial law, but it certainly meets some of the appearance requirements.
    Well if anything that involves having the military show up with guns has the "appearance" of martial law than I guess that last Blue Angels show I went to had the appearance of martial law too.

What things appear like is an opinion. No one has special expertise here. We all have our own opinion of what this looks like and IMO this looks like a manhunt similar to when that cop shooter in SoCal was being hunted down. I don't think it appears remotely like martial law. That doesn't mean it won't get to that but it's not there yet. IMO. Which is just as valid as yours because, again, what things appear to be is what people think they appear to be. Not what experts have decided they appear to be or we should think they appear to be.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post

I hate to say this, but I think the kid got away.
    I've been thinking the same.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I've been thinking the same.
    With that many police and no crowd of people to blend into, that us just insane. He would be a brilliant fugitive. Maybe he killed himself somewhere?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Possible. The police spokesperson said he thinks he is still in MA.

Oh and look at that! The stay-at-home order has been lifted. Transportation and regular life should resume soon. There will be patrols of the neighborhoods but otherwise things should be back to normal. So much for martial law. Time to look for the next Churchill quote to rip off.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-19-2013 at 11:35 PM.

from Speedy Death

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast