Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I'm sorry cruisin, but I could see after the previous Post mis-identification of the teen and a thought of racial/religious profiling plus being a father of two adult sons who have been accused of these heinous acts to be in that shock. Yeah, it is possible to be in that much denial and to be that angry/upset with media/any one who is making accusations despite any evidence presented.

But the overwhelming evidence is that they are his sons. As I said yesterday I can not imagine what the family and particularly parents are feeling.
    I said I understood his denial and horror. I just think it's rather foolish to be making threats, under the circumstances.

I feel bad for him, it must be horrible to know (at least on some level he mud know) that your children could do something like this.

I feel bad for his extended family, they will be associated with this too.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    We can all start feeling even worse for the father now because he is in the gentle hands of the Russian authorities.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Twitter:

NBC Nightly News ‏@nbcnightlynews 12m
    Boston manhunt now focused solely on Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, despite earlier fears by authorities of a 3rd person, sources tell @PeteWilliamsNBC

NBC Nightly News ‏@nbcnightlynews 9m
    MORE: 7 IEDs recovered in the searches so far, some in Watertown & some at the house in Cambridge, police officials say

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    MA State Police now saying they did NOT rob the 7-11. The 7-11 robbery was a separate unrelated incident.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    And this, along with home searches and restrictions on movement, is a component of martial law, I would point out. I am not saying (and neither is my colleague) that it is anything but the appearance of martial law, but it certainly meets some of the appearance requirements.
    Sorry but I'm still not seeing it. If "half" the restaurants, banks and Starbucks are closed - not all - then that means that the government did not order all businesses to close. Those that are closed must have made that choice themselves. The authorities have said again and again that people are free to move around; they only recommend that they don't.

I realize that you are saying it's not martial law, but I don't see how it's the "appearance" of martial law either. The authorities have made recommendations to citizens, and they have asked for their assistance and cooperation, but there's no evidence that they have been forcing anything. Shutting down public transportation has been for safety purposes and so they can conduct their investigation - not to restrict movement, and in fact most of the things they've shut down have since returned to service. How is that different than a temporary stoppage on a subway line while police investigate something, or road blocks set up during the holidays to test for drunk drivers?

To me this is all normal police work - albeit on a larger more public scale, but I don't see anyone around Boston complaining that their rights are being taken away.

vCash
    Another press conference scheduled for 5:30 eastern.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    HuffPo article focusing mostly on the older brother: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3116299.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Here is one sympathetic foreigner's take on it: http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/west-of...emium-1.516532
    It's subscriber/registered user only, but I suspect I'd agree with Shalev if I could read the whole thing.

vCash
    Here is one sympathetic foreigner's take on it: http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/west-of...emium-1.516532

From the link

Never, in the history of violence aimed at innocent civilians, have the lives of so many been disrupted so much by the relatively amateurish actions of so few
    Sounds rather familiar - the Churchill influence?

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yup, Churchill. Make your own zingers, Mr. Haaretz blogger.

from Speedy Death

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Sorry but I'm still not seeing it. If "half" the restaurants, banks and Starbucks are closed - not all - then that means that the government did not order all businesses to close. Those that are closed must have made that choice themselves. The authorities have said again and again that people are free to move around; they only recommend that they don't.

I realize that you are saying it's not martial law, but I don't see how it's the "appearance" of martial law either. The authorities have made recommendations to citizens, and they have asked for their assistance and cooperation, but there's no evidence that they have been forcing anything. Shutting down public transportation has been for safety purposes and so they can conduct their investigation - not to restrict movement, and in fact most of the things they've shut down have since returned to service. How is that different than a temporary stoppage on a subway line while police investigate something, or road blocks set up during the holidays to test for drunk drivers?

To me this is all normal police work - albeit on a larger more public scale, but I don't see anyone around Boston complaining that their rights are being taken away.
    It is not the appearance of martial law. Martial law is the suspension of civil government and the imposition of control by the military. It is not easy to mistake the lawful, constitutional searches being undertaken by law enforcement for martial law. Its a slur on the authorities to claim it.

ETA and why does it matter? These police and other law enforcement first responders are putting themselves at great risk in this situation, in order to protect the public. To claim they are giving the appearance of the suspension of civil government and laws in their actions really is to not fairly honor the sacrifice they are making.
    Last edited by BlueRidge; 04-19-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Here is another article about the older brother. It does mention a wife, who converted to Islam, and a daughter.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    My niece is hunkered down on the Cambridge/Watertown line. They are letting folks walk their dogs and such, but aren't allowing vehicles in or out of the area.
    I've been curious for news about Cambridge. I was supposed to be going to a contra dance in Lenox, MA tomorrow night, and the guy who's doing the calling posted on Facebook this morning that he was in Cambridge, and the town was in lockdown. I'm wondering if he'll even be able to get out to come call the dance tomorrow. Part of me is wondering whether it would be in better taste to just cancel the event (this dance is held 3rd Saturday of every month).

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Here is another article about the older brother. It does mention a wife, who converted to Islam, and a daughter.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
    Wow have they ever got a ton of info and images no one else seems to have!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    It's subscriber/registered user only, but I suspect I'd agree with Shalev if I could read the whole thing.
    Here is most of it and it substantiates the appearance issue above. Sorry, Jenny, I'm an expert in what things look like and your painstaking analysis of what is actually the legal case has no impact on this immense media torrent the world is drowning in:

"This was terrorism’s great victory, its spectacular triumph, its abhorrently glorious day in the sun. Never, in the history of violence aimed at innocent civilians, have the lives of so many been disrupted so much by the relatively amateurish actions of so few.

More than a million people cowered in their homes on Friday, under curfew, gripped by fear. The U.S. army and other security forces invaded and occupied an American town. Helicopters, armored vehicles, soldiers in full battle gear and crack SWAT teams sealed off streets and conducted house-to-house searches.

And the entire world was glued to its radios, television sets, computers, tablets and mobile phones, riveted by the almost incomprehensible scenes hitherto confined to outlandishly scripted Hollywood movies.

For five straight days, even before Friday’s surrealistic firefights and manhunts in Cambridge and Watertown, the Boston bombings had captured American hearts and minds and taken them hostage. The news networks went into breathless breaking news mode, erasing any and all hitherto cardinal issues from their agenda. Syria, Iran, North Korea, immigration and gun control – including the “routine” murder of about 150 other Americans in the hiatus – all were put on hold or relegated to the back burner.

Of course, the killing of three precious people and the injury of dozens of others are a painful tragedy and an unforgiveable crime. Of course, the disruption of an iconic marathon in the heart of one of America’s proudest cities is a significant event that warrants the full attention of the media and the justice authorities. Of course, Americans are justifiably concerned that after the first street bombing, others may follow.

But this was not 9/11, the Bombay bombings or the Beslan slaughter of children, also carried out by Chechen terrorists. It wasn’t the Bali nightclub bombings, the downing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie or the destruction of the federal building in Oklahoma. And it didn’t come close even to the Tel Aviv Dolphinarium carnage, the killing of students in Maalot or the murder of 39 Palestinians in the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron.

Therefore, in terms of cost-benefit analysis, from the evil terrorist’s point of view, the Boylston Street bombings and their after aftermath can only be viewed as a resounding triumph. If the primary goal of terror attacks is to instill fear and intimidate people, to influence governments and to attract world attention, then the Boston bombers have probably succeeded beyond their wildest dreams.

Explanations and justifications are plentiful and probably pertinent. There is no doubt, for example, that the Internet-era, social media, instant multiplication and proliferation of every minute piece of data increasingly obliterate competing narratives. And the mesmerizing pictures of the moments of drama captured on all-pervasive cellphones and security cameras make it harder and harder for audiences at home to tear their eyes away from the unfolding epics playing out on their screens. And these, in turn, magnify the impact of terrorist events on the public and influence the decisions of their government.

Americans might have also been shocked by the sudden realization that the 12-year lull in terrorist attacks following 9/11 has come to an end. Just like a “trigger trauma” for people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, the Boston terror incidents have taken many Americans back, psychologically and emotionally, to those terrifying days of fear and uncertainty following the Twin Towers attacks.

Politicians and pundits in America and around the world will now debate whether the events of the passing week were a manifestation of American resoluteness and strength of purpose or worrying signs of alarm, anxiety and panic. There are good claims to be made on both sides of the argument.

But just like the shots fired at Lexington Square exactly 238 years ago, the bombs detonated this week at Copley Square 13 miles away have also been heard around the world. The question is, however, whether the sounds from Boston will once again touch the hearts of lovers of freedom and liberty, or whether this time it will be malevolent terrorists and those who wish ill for America who will be encouraged and inspired."
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Oh, I thought that was already considered true. If Putin thinks that's going to justify his past actions in Chechnya, let alone any future ones, he's wrong.
    I am sorry, what do you know about the atrocities that preceded the war in Chechnya? How non-Chechens were robbed, raped, tortured to death, sold into slavery? How non-Chechen girls were kidnapped, gang raped and made perform fellatios on dogs while being videotaped?! It was a bloody pandemonium. The first war was a disaster, but that doesn't justify what had happened before. Chechnya was a Gulf-financed cancer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I've been curious for news about Cambridge. I was supposed to be going to a contra dance in Lenox, MA tomorrow night, and the guy who's doing the calling posted on Facebook this morning that he was in Cambridge, and the town was in lockdown. I'm wondering if he'll even be able to get out to come call the dance tomorrow. Part of me is wondering whether it would be in better taste to just cancel the event (this dance is held 3rd Saturday of every month).
    The dance is in Lenox? That's very far from what's happening in Boston. In addition, people might appreciate the chance to do something other than watch for the news. I think it'd be good to have the dance, if most people can get there.

Perhaps have a fundraiser as part of the dance. All the proceeds go to the victims of the bombing.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Here is most of it and it substantiates the appearance issue above. Sorry, Jenny, I'm an expert in what things look like and your painstaking analysis of what is actually the legal case has no impact on this immense media torrent the world is drowning in....

I don’t have a comment on martial law but I am a little {really?} over the whole city being shut down by one guy.

Except that I know why we did it. Americans have their own version of face to save. Just like with 9/11 – we were going to hit somebody, because to not do so would be unthinkable to us. And though not an exact comparison, there is something similar here. We are not NOT going to take this guy down, and if we have to shut down all of Boston to do it, we will.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Here's a question; would this be considered domestic or foreign terrorism since at least one of them was an American citizen?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The older brother was wearing a suicide vest packed with explosives when he was shot. Law enforcement thinks it's likely the younger brother is wearing one as well. But, rather than ask the citizens of Boston to stay indoors for a day and let the search for him go on unimpeded, why the hey, let him run around, he is just a kid.

Really?

from Speedy Death

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast