Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

vCash
    Just woke up to find all of this going on
    I've been to a conference at MIT for the past couple of years, and stayed in different places right around Kendall Square. How scary it is to see photos of police in full tactical gear swarming through streets that I know very well. I can't even imagine what it is like for those in Boston right now. ((hugs to FSUers there))
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I just remembered our New England regional director lives in Watertown. He emailed us all telling us it was quiet at his end of town except for the military helicopters circling overhead (I get that in DC and you get used to it fast) and his kids are watching G-rated videos. Martial law for one crazy 19-year-old. Sigh.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Just so people don't take PRhyperbolelady too seriously, according to my sister, anyone can go out and about and will not be stopped, the authorities are simply asking everyone to "shelter-in-place," it is essentially voluntary and most are complying (unless they find an urgent need for donuts overwhelming them...)

Its not martial law and the city is not under siege. I point this out due to long experience. Many years ago in D.C. some people shot a member of our city council and also were barricaded somewhere else in the city, the details are fuzzy to me, but what we heard back from people around the rest of the country made it clear they thought the entire city was in a violent conflagration. I also remember when people were saying the US media is totally censored for the Iraq war and a non-US poster took this literally and started trying to tell us what was going on outside the US. Hyperbole.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I think this was hours long, but I just saw the interview with the car mechanic who saw the brothers between the bombing and yesterday. Utterly heartbreaking. I can totally understand how anyone would just not put two and two together about someone you know well - or think you do.

ever since I woke up (~ 2 hrs ago) there have been mentions in the twitterverse about an old man with a "dead switch", sounded like someone who may have been rigged with possible explosives? but none of the news sources have been mentioning it. I can't tell if this is something that happened hours and hours ago and is resolved, or it was not related, or it was just misinformation.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    anyone can go out and about and will not be stopped, the authorities are simply asking everyone to "shelter-in-place," it is essentially voluntary and most are complying (unless they find an urgent need for donuts overwhelming them...)

Its not martial law and the city is not under siege.
    THIS. Not martial law. People can do what they want, and at this point it appears they want to help the authorities by keeping the streets clear and keeping themselves out of danger.

The only areas people actually can't go are the ones the police have specifically blocked off.

No businesses are open, so most people don't have anywhere to go anyway- the photo I saw of Dunkin Donuts made it appear PLENTY of people made their way there this morning!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    another press conference - talking about large #s of people who went to work in downtown Boston before hearing the request to stay home. speaking directly to those people - do not expect you to stay there, go ahead and leave, drive home. understand public transit closed. taxis now running, call a friend to come get you. make clear we do not expect people to shelter in businesses. if you are at work, feel free to leave.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Its not martial law and the city is not under siege. I point this out due to long experience. Many years ago in D.C. some people shot a member of our city council and also were barricaded somewhere else in the city, the details are fuzzy to me, but what we heard back from people around the rest of the country made it clear they thought the entire city was in a violent conflagration. I also remember when people were saying the US media is totally censored for the Iraq war and a non-US poster took this literally and started trying to tell us what was going on outside the US. Hyperbole.
    I used the description from my colleague, since his house has been searched by the police as have most houses in Watertown. That's a component of martial law and certainly not ordinary.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I can understand his denial, it would be devastating to find out your children did such a thing. But threats? He certainly isn't making it easy to even consider his kids don't have violent tendencies.
    I'm sorry cruisin, but I could see after the previous Post mis-identification of the teen and a thought of racial/religious profiling plus being a father of two adult sons who have been accused of these heinous acts to be in that shock. Yeah, it is possible to be in that much denial and to be that angry/upset with media/any one who is making accusations despite any evidence presented.

But the overwhelming evidence is that they are his sons. As I said yesterday I can not imagine what the family and particularly parents are feeling.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I used the description from my colleague, since his house has been searched by the police as have most houses in Watertown. That's a component of martial law and certainly not ordinary.
    Martial law is the suspension of civil government. So no even in Watertown it is not martial law. Watertown is a crime scene. And the focus on an ongoing police investigation. No, it certainly is not ordinary, but I just don't like it when people use inflammatory terms casually when people in more distant places may take them literally.

Also there's a big difference between your colleague saying it feels like martial law and saying it is martial law.

I admit this is my kneejerk Americanism acting. I really get sick of hearing people in other countries mischaracterize things here because of things other Americans are saying. The authorities in Boston so far have been doing a great job, I'd rather not see people left with the impression that they are implementing martial law!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Even if it feels that way, martial law is an exageration; our government is still functioning as intended. The police have authority to search, and I would assume if a homeowner denied them access (I don't think they are forcibly searching anything), they would be able to get a specific warrant.

What I do wonder is- what happens if they search through a house with a basement pot growing farm. Do they just ignore it because they have better things to do? What about when better things are done... Is that person protected because of the reason the house was searched (without a warrant with probable cause for that reason).

From the Bloc
    vCash
    That's a component of martial law and certainly not ordinary.
    It's not ordinary, but how it is martial law? My understanding is that martial law is the suspension or overriding of other laws, giving government or the military the right to run things their way. The only thing I'm seeing them override right now is perhaps getting search warrants to visit each house and business in the area, but I would think that most people are letting them in regardless to be of assistance. I guess some might claim later that their rights have been infringed upon, but I don't think this is martial law.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Random links on Sunil Tripathi's not being a Boston suspect, and the limits of crowdsourcing:
    http://www.firstpost.com/world/bosto...ct-713386.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-crowdsourcing

Meanwhile, Reddit is coming under attack, literally:
    http://betabeat.com/2013/04/meanwhil...s-being-ddosd/

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I admit this is my kneejerk Americanism acting. I really get sick of hearing people in other countries mischaracterize things here because of things other Americans are saying. The authorities in Boston so far have been doing a great job, I'd rather not see people left with the impression that they are implementing martial law!
    I don't think it's just Americans and I see your point. It's more than four decades ago now, but older Canadians will remember the October Crisis of 1970, when the government invoked the War Measures Act, which is equivalent to martial law. I remember studying it in school and debating whether the government should have done it, and the topic continues to come up every now and then and is still debated.

I think there's also a danger of overblowing things right at home - there are enough conspiracy theorists and militia out there and some segments segments of the gun lobby and preppers that I would be concerned about feeding their fires with stuff like this.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    More Russians mouthing off on TV! Whee!
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/

vCash
    Martial law is the suspension of civil government. So no even in Watertown it is not martial law. Watertown is a crime scene. And the focus on an ongoing police investigation. No, it certainly is not ordinary, but I just don't like it when people use inflammatory terms casually when people in more distant places may take them literally.

Also there's a big difference between your colleague saying it feels like martial law and saying it is martial law.

I understand what both of you are saying.

I don't know PR's colleague or anything about their background, ethnicity, nor how it feels to be there, but if someone looks like a certain ethnic group and has had some experience with profiling, it could be that her friend feels like it is martial law. Rights being taken away as I assume the colleague has no right to refuse search. Your house is being invaded so to say by military type people. I imagine that along with fear of the suspects gives them a different perspective.

I do think that the Boston authorities as well as the FBI have done an excellent job. And that we should be aware that this is an international board with varied experiences. In no way do I think it is martial law.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    More Russians mouthing off on TV! Whee!
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/

Show me the EVIDENCE! This is the aunt with a conspiracy theory.
    'The one. The only. Daisuke Takahashi ' Chris Howarth, EurosportUK

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Anyone watch celebrity Jeopardy? Anderson did OK, but Wolf was one of the worst players I've ever seen. He may have had his day years ago when he was a White House correspondent, but nowadays he's no more than a talking head.
    With, for me, an irritating voice and cadence in his speaking. Wish I'd seen it, though.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Just so people don't take PRhyperbolelady too seriously, according to my sister, anyone can go out and about and will not be stopped, the authorities are simply asking everyone to "shelter-in-place," it is essentially voluntary and most are complying (unless they find an urgent need for donuts overwhelming them...)
    I think it'd be more about the coffee...
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Rights being taken away as I assume the colleague has no right to refuse search.
    I've very interested to know if this is true. Social media and regular media hasn't picked up anything about people complaining about this. Americans LOVE to whine about their rights being violated. So what happens if you do refuse the search? It is possible they have a warrant for the whole area, which means you can't refuse it, but your right hasn't been violated. The right is no -unreasonable- search. I don't know if warrants work that way to cover an area though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    Show me the EVIDENCE! This is the aunt with a conspiracy theory.
    I love how this aunt keeps telling the media to pay attention and that she wishes they were lawyers like she is so they would be able to listen.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast