Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    They would soon lock down the entire East Coast. And all because of a 19 yo. Incredible.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    saw a tweet that the younger brother became a US citizen on 9/11/12
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    saw a tweet that the younger brother became a US citizen on 9/11/12
    If that's Sept 11 and not Nov 9, that's a bit too incredible - who did the tweet?

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    That explains why the NJ university I work for just sent out a campus-wide email, saying that the suspect might turn up in the area, so stay alert, don't approach, just call 911.
    I stayed home today. I said ya know, I have a ton of vacation days to burn and I have NO idea how or where this is going to play out today and whether or not Hudson River crossings will shut down and I have nothing urgent on my desk and it's Friday. Yep. Staying home today. Glad I did, maybe it's all for nothing but as I said, I have plenty of days to burn.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    it's Sept 11 - tweet from Michael Skolnik, via CBSBoston

https://twitter.com/MichaelSkolnik
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Re: the ATM – per a NBC report, they kept the owner of the Mercedes in the car with them for ½ hour while they went to 3 different ATMs to pull out money. Then they released the guy.

Holy smoke. I would have thought I was a goner for sure.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Okay, at this point it does seem like a couple of disaffected kids who happen to have a Chechen background – and they built working bombs and one of them has managed to avoid the entire Boston police department and ½ the FBI for at least 12 hours. It’s unfortunate they wasted their lives like this when they had abilities to build a positive life.
    Regarding the part I bolded: I hate to say this, but I think it is a possibility that this one is holed up somewhere and has either committed suicide or will do so shortly. It seems hard to believe that a 19 year old kid who is relatively inexperienced in evading the law and on foot in a contained area could avoid that massive a number of law officials for such a long time. I do hope they manage to catch him alive though, and with no more injuries or loss of life.

And I agree with you snoopy: it's such a shame they squandered their wonderful chance to build positive lives. I can't help thinking the younger one especially was probably unduly influenced/dragged into this by his older brother.

ETA: OMG, it looks like they are arresting him right now, just as I posted this!
    ETA: OK, they did put a young man into the back of a police car but it was not him. My apologies, I shouldn't have posted until I knew for sure.
    Last edited by lurvylurker; 04-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    If that's Sept 11 and not Nov 9, that's a bit too incredible - who did the tweet?
    I know of a two people who gained their citizenship on 9/11 (two different years, since the attack). This date is often CHOSEN by the communities, as there is a remembrance ceremony and gaining of citizenship is a celebration of being an American. You don't really pick the day you get citizenship- the government does. I wouldn't read anything into it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurvylurker View Post
    ETA: OMG, it looks like they are arresting him right now, just as I posted this!
    Hope this is true! Though it sucks we are going to spend millions on him in jail and during many trials. But hopefully they can find out some reason on why they did this and make an informed decision on whether they acted alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurvylurker View Post
    really? I've got a "live" press conference that is very calm and not about an arrest at all

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I know of a two people who gained their citizenship on 9/11 (two different years, since the attack). This date is often CHOSEN by the communities, as there is a remembrance ceremony and gaining of citizenship is a celebration of being an American. You don't really pick the day you get citizenship- the government does. I wouldn't read anything into it.
    I guess that makes sense then, thanks for the info.

vCash
    Yeah, live press conference says "we do not have any development about that search to tell you"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    really? I've got a "live" press conference that is very calm and not about an arrest at all
    Yes, I just changed my original post to apologize for jumping to that conclusion. CNN showed them taking someone into custody, but obviously it was not the suspect. Again, I apologize - I was just so relieved that it might have been over.
    Last edited by lurvylurker; 04-19-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    end of press conference: new developments coming together, hope to inform people through media in about an hour

vCash
    Twitter:

Sarah and Drew ‏@SarahandDrew 19m
    Boston skaters and coaches on what it's like in the Boston area today - http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The way CNN sensationalizes everything, I can see where viewers might mistakenly jump to conclusions - they often run footage while talking about something else, and the headlines at the bottom of the page give one the impression there's breaking news when most of the time, they are just repeating the same thing over and over.

Anyone watch celebrity Jeopardy? Anderson did OK, but Wolf was one of the worst players I've ever seen. He may have had his day years ago when he was a White House correspondent, but nowadays he's no more than a talking head.

vCash
    Parapharsed conversation from the news I'm watching:
    Al Jeezera reporter "You can't possibly expect people to stay locked indoors for the whole weekend?"
    Guy being interviewed (didn't catch who it was, an American) "Well...(pauses for a second) we can certainly ask them. It's for their safety"
    Reporter: "But it is such a huge area"
    Guy: "It's a request, not an order. The suspect has proven to be extremely dangerous. Most of the public wants to cooperate with this.

So it sounds like they might be in for a long road here... The reporter is incredulous at the idea of shelter in place for several days.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't know. They seem like disorganized kids to me. I agree with Prancer that I don't think this will turn out to be some big conspiracy.

I was fooled by the fact that they said they heard the names on the police scanner. It never occurred to me that someone would just out and out lie about that so, I just assumed it was true. I won't be fooled by anything like that again.
    Neither do I. Kids this age can be technologically smart enough to build a bomb (it's not that difficult), but that doesn't mean they have the long term planning skills to explode the bomb and then get away. They'd have dropped the backpacks, walked away, made the call and kept walking. If they had a car, they'd have just left. No body would have done a profile of them. However, they didn't give consideration of all the cameras on the finish line. They didn't make an effort to disguise themselves. They didn't try to escape until their pictures were broadcast. If they were part of a bigger cell, it's pretty disorganized as well or they wouldn't have been left on their own with the possibility of capture and interrogation giving up the others. They could have disappeared into the homeless community. Every major city has one and it's the perfect spot to become faceless and nameless.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Oh dear me - they have an aunt living in Toronto (where I live):

Globe [and Mail] reporter Patrick White just spoke to the suspects' aunt Maret Tsarnaeva, who lives in Toronto. She said she last spoke with Tamerlan in February.

"I asked him if he found any nice girls there to marry," said Ms. Tsarnaeva.

That's when she found out he had a Christian wife and young daughter in Boston.

The aunt, a trained lawyer, said she will refuse to believe her nephews are responsible for the bombing until she sees stronger evidence.

"The pictures are staged," she said. "Until I see differently I will believe that."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    The father is telling him to surrender and is warning law enforcement that if he's killed then all hell will break loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I don't know, I read it on ABC. He said that if his son is killed then he will know that it's an inside job.
    I can understand his denial, it would be devastating to find out your children did such a thing. But threats? He certainly isn't making it easy to even consider his kids don't have violent tendencies.

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast