Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    Skating Club of Boston is closed. I have many friends from there who live in the area and hope they're okay.
    Everyone I know in that region is fine, so I am thinking your friends are also fine. Freaked out and watching tv right now, probably, but fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    To add a skating connection, Arsenal Street in Watertown (where some of the action is focused) is about 5 minutes from The Skating Club of Boston.
    WBZ reports that the police have cleared Arsenal St. They are in that area with bullhorns, speaking Russian through them.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    It looks like they haven't even lived in Chechnya.
    The older one was born there. The younger one was born in Kyrgystan after the family fled Chechnya. I would guess refugee status was granted because of the parents.

I don't think this will turn out to be a big conspiracy.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSK8 View Post
    Something tells me you would not get much information from these guys, even if they were sent to Gitmo.
    I don't know. They seem like disorganized kids to me. I agree with Prancer that I don't think this will turn out to be some big conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've been guilty of this kind of speculation too, but it saddens me how we all continue to draw conclusions and make judgements based on how someone looks, or what kind of name they have.
    I was fooled by the fact that they said they heard the names on the police scanner. It never occurred to me that someone would just out and out lie about that so, I just assumed it was true. I won't be fooled by anything like that again.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    The police are, obviously, going to search the dorm at UMass Dartmouth, where the younger suspect is said to have lived at least part-time.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The older one was born there. The younger one was born in Kyrgystan after the family fled Chechnya. I would guess refugee status was granted because of the parents.

I don't think this will turn out to be a big conspiracy.
    The younger one was born on 22 July 1993. The first Chechen war started in December 1994. Whoever they were fleeing from was not the Russian federal troops.

vCash
    There should be a press conference in about 10 minutes.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    The father is telling him to surrender and is warning law enforcement that if he's killed then all hell will break loose.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't know. They seem like disorganized kids to me. I agree with Prancer that I don't think this will turn out to be some big conspiracy.
    Agree with you both based on what we know now. Sounds like the older brother had issues and like many young people sought some self definition, in this case going back to his roots, and it ballooned into something horrible. Sounds like he got his otherwise OK younger brother into it.

When you consider that they came to the US very young, there might have been a lot of isolation that kept them together, with the younger relying and perhaps admiring his much older brother (7 years is a lot when you are a kid). Not sure when the parents left, but given that the uncle says he barely saw them, they might have been very close with a sense of fending for themselves. For the older brother, having more memories of their early childhood, it was likely more difficult than for the younger who grew up like any American kid.

I was fooled by the fact that they said they heard the names on the police scanner. It never occurred to me that someone would just out and out lie about that so, I just assumed it was true. I won't be fooled by anything like that again.
    I'm a bit sensitive I guess being the child of immigrants, having a "foreign" surname, and having been judged based on my forebears on more than one occasion in my life. I can't imagine having my picture splashed across the internet and having people say "she looks like this, her name sounds like that, she must be a terrorist!"

vCash
    Uncle's interview on now - MSNBC.
    Has been estranged from that side since 2009. Claims they are "losers" who couldn't adapt.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm a bit sensitive I guess being the child of immigrants, having a "foreign" surname, and having been judged based on my forebears on more than one occasion in my life. I can't imagine having my picture splashed across the internet and having people say "she looks like this, her name sounds like that, she must be a terrorist!"
    Yeah but I didn't do that. I read someone say that the BPD scanner identified the dead kid as __________. Police scanner traffic is just people trying to get their jobs done and there's no reason they wouldn't use the name if the officers needed it to get their job done.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Boy, their uncle sure doesn't hold back.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    The father is telling him to surrender and is warning law enforcement that if he's killed then all hell will break loose.
    What does he mean "all hell will break loose?" I am not watching.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    What does he mean "all hell will break loose?" I am not watching.
    I don't know, I read it on ABC. He said that if his son is killed then he will know that it's an inside job.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Yeah but I didn't do that. I read someone say that the BPD scanner identified the dead kid as __________. Police scanner traffic is just people trying to get their jobs done and there's no reason they wouldn't use the name if the officers needed it to get there job done.
    I was quoting you because you quoted me, but I didn't mean anything you were doing. I meant that in general, as I caught up on the news this morning, I saw that several names had been out there and people (not just on FSU) were guessing where they were from, and continuing to examine the images and try and guess what their affiliations might be based on their facial appearance. And honestly, as my husband and I watched the news last night, we did the same thing.

Upon reflection, I realized I was guilty of something I find disturbing (and I said so), and that's the rush to judgment based on someone's facial appearance or their name.

vCash
    I don't know, I read it on ABC. He said that if his son is killed then he will know that it's an inside job.
    He seems to be a bit delusional. He thinks his sons were set up. He doesn't think his kids were involved they are 'good boys' (relayed by the newscaster). He talked to them after the bombing, and he thinks they weren't involved, and they were calm and 'things are good here'.
    "If they kill my second child, I will know that it is an inside job, a hit job. The police are to blame," the father told ABC News. "Someone, some organization is out to get them."
    Seeing as how he was involved in a direct fire fight with police, he can't just be 'suspect' anymore. Even if he didn't bomb the marathon (which I'm sure they did), the police have other reasons to capture him, and if he dies in the process, well, that happens.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/boston-bomb...ry?id=18995936

vCash
    Wow... through him and what army??!!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Here's a quote I found from the father:
    The father warned, however, "If they killed him, then all hell would break loose."
    "If they kill my second child, I will know that it is an inside job, a hit job. The police are to blame," the father told ABC News. "Someone, some organization is out to get them."
    Yes, the entire law enforcement is out to get him but I am sure they will do everything possible to bring him in alive.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-19-2013 at 04:53 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    For those who cannot watch, NBC News seems to have the best coverage. I don't trust CNN right now.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    The Uncle of the brothers is now speaking to the press on ABC (local channel).
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    He seems to be a bit delusional.
    It seems that way, but I'm sure that uncle would set him straight.

Page 36 of 51 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast