Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

There were actually a number of skaters from Team Excel and Act One of Boston there as well, fortunately all are safe.

vCash
    Obama:
    To the injured, you will run again. You will run again.
    When the Sox and Celtics and Bruins are champions again, to the chagrin of New York and Chicago, and those champions ride down Boylston street again, we will cheer. And we will cheer the athletes next year who run the 118th Marathon.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    icecat, I also posted Sarah Brannen's article in GSD yesterday: Skating world shocked, affected by Boston Marathon bombs

ETA: I was hoping for the best for this injured man (one of the disturbing photos that was published widely) -- he and his wife are both hanging in there:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/boston-...ry?id=18988104
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I missed the first part of the service, but did get to hear Gov. Patrick and President Obama...very moving & uplifting.

I'm off to search for a link to hear Mayor Menino's address; if anyone has a link (audio and/or video), please post it here...thanks.

EDIT: Twitter...

@7News: President Obama is at MGH visiting patients. #7News #BostonStrong
    NOTE: "MGH" is Massachusetts General Hospital.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-18-2013 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Massachusetts voted for McGovern!
    ............ and Scott Brown.

vCash
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

04/18/13
    Cohen shares horror story from Boston finish line
    Former pairs skater was one block away when explosions detonated

By Sarah S. Brannen, special to icenetwork.com

EDIT: Fixed link.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.

vCash
    The link in that post is not working.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If you shorten the address and just go to http://web.icenetwork.com/news, you'll find the article.

The FBI has scheduled a news conference re: the bombing for 5pm today: http://www.fbi.gov/boston/press-rele...press-briefing
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-18-2013 at 08:11 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The article is cross-posted in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...Marathon-bombs
    "Cohen" is former pair skater Daniyel Cohen.

Summary of today's news and useful links: http://www.boston.com/news/source/
    Includes a list of names of known victims so far: http://www.boston.com/news/local/specials/victim_list/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-18-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Garr and Sylvia!
    The name stuck with me, and I wasn't sure why, but then I remembered that the Manleywoman Podcast interviewed Daniyel when he was at 2008 US nationals in jr pairs: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-1...-us-nationals/
    I'm glad he's OK.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    ???? looks like he could still have a bag. I would rather wait until the authorities make an announcement. Imagine if that guy just took off his backpack and had it in his hands, someone has just plastered his face across the internet.
    It looks like that is the case. The guy in blue who appears to be talking to the guy in black went to the police to clear his name. http://abcnews.go.com/ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...m_hp_ref=media
    Last edited by Rob; 04-18-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Paraphrasing Vanity Fair: so far, the only thing the NY Post has written about this that they've actually fact-checked is that the Boston Marathon does, in fact, take place in Boston.

To quote them directly re: what the NY Post got right so far in its reporting:

While we are grateful that a battle-weary and heartbroken nation is able to come together and heal by mocking and/or criticizing The New York Post, in the interest of fairness, we do feel some responsibility to point out all the things the paper got right. Let’s give ’em some credit for the following:

The New York Post correctly reported that the Boston Marathon takes place in Boston, Massachusetts.
    “Boston” is spelled correctly.
    The current governor of the state is Deval Patrick.
    Participants in the Boston Marathon are, in American English, colloquially referred to as “runners.”
    Use Yah Blinkah!

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    I am glad to see that the Boston stations are turning back to regular programming. It will begin to start the healing process. the continuous barrage of all news all the time on all stations was approaching the saturation point. It is hard for people to begin healing when you are picking the scab.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Jon Stewart was scathing toward CNN last night - funny, but sadly true at the same time. I hadn't see the original footage of John King getting a message on his phone live on the air and telling Wolf that the bomber had been caught, and then Wolf fussing over him having this inside source who has confirmed exclusively (a word that seems to be becoming dangerously obsessive in the news media these days) and going on about John "working his sources" when in fact it appears his sources were working him, or at least somebody was. Then they had a montage of CNN clips over the next hour jumping around confirming and denying and adding maybes and it was quite comical to see all at once.

One wonders if at times, the actual authorities are testing their own people with false information to see what and where it turns up. It would be irresponsible with something as important as the bomber being identified or arrested, but perhaps the minor details like a pressure cooker lid being found on a rooftop or the colour of a bag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Jon Stewart was scathing toward CNN last night - funny, but sadly true at the same time. I hadn't see the original footage of John King getting a message on his phone live on the air and telling Wolf that the bomber had been caught, and then Wolf fussing over him having this inside source who has confirmed exclusively (a word that seems to be becoming dangerously obsessive in the news media these days) and going on about John "working his sources" when in fact it appears his sources were working him, or at least somebody was. Then they had a montage of CNN clips over the next hour jumping around confirming and denying and adding maybes and it was quite comical to see all at once.

One wonders if at times, the actual authorities are testing their own people with false information to see what and where it turns up. It would be irresponsible with something as important as the bomber being identified or arrested, but perhaps the minor details like a pressure cooker lid being found on a rooftop or the colour of a bag.
    I don’t know that they would be doing it on purpose, but I could see that people who work at the PD or the FBI but aren’t working directly on the case overhear something and misinterpret it and then tell a reporter – so the reporter isn’t lying – they have a source from the FBI,etc. – it just isn’t a knowledgeable source. IOW, I would imagine people at the police department and FBI gossip too.

Someone who I knows work for the FBI tells me the US shot down flight 93, it would just be too upsetting to people to tell the truth about it. The guy is an agent but I doubt he is any position to really know stuff like that, he is convinced of it though.
    What would Jenny do?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    You'd think police departments and the FBI would be pretty pissed about blabbing employees though no? Especially with this coming so soon after the mess of information that was Sandy Hook. I read the other day that the South African police had seized dozens of personal and issued cell phones from their officers because they had taken pictures of Oscar Pistorius and were trying to sell them to the media.

In the not so recent past, journalists would get tips from contacts in the police force and other such places, but then they'd use that info to pursue a lead, and only report it once they verified it. Nowadays they skip that step, and as in the case yesterday, go straight to air the moment they get a text. As we saw with the Huffington Post headlines genevieve posted and on Stewart last night, it's getting to the point of ridiculous, and certainly unworthy of the institution of journalism.

vCash
    The FBI press conference is happening now. They haven't begun speaking yet. The FBI says they'll be posting both photos and videos today. WBZ radio will stream the conference live here when it starts:
    http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/wbz-newsradio-1030
    Use Yah Blinkah!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash

vCash
    I tried to get into the FBI sight but it was a no go. I assume half the country is trying to do the same thing. Radio says two young men, one clearly white.
    What would Jenny do?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Looking at that my entire insides were roiled.

But we do have to realize they are suspects, and they might not be the perpetrators. That said I hope they are able to find them, bring them in and determine if there is enough evidence to arrest and try them.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast