Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

vCash
    Boston is also a major financial hub and Liberty Mutual, John Hancock, and Fidelity's headquarters are pretty close to where it happened, so there could also be a fringe member of the occupy crowd. In any case, I do go with the lone nut theory as this is too isolated (ie only one location) for an Al Qaeda attack, and, as everyone said, no one else is seeking credit.

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    To go one step further, I think the Taliban have even disavowed any connection to the bombings.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    The day after the Boston bombings

This well written column by Kathleen Parker expresses a lot of the feelings we face right now very well I think.

You know the feeling. You wake up filled with dread but, still groggy, you can’t put your finger on the reason.

Possibilities flitter across the landscape of near-consciousness: An exam? A deadline? A speech? What day is it?

Oh my God, Boston.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I understand the concern people have about a repeat of the bombing, but there is a small race on Saturday here. The amount of discussion/planning for any potential event is amazing. and not in a good way. I can understand the heightened security in a London marathon or event, but in the Midwest - a minor run, that is probably not on anyone's radar. I only knew about the race before the TV reports because my daughter in law, niece and brother are running in it.
    My landlord is a race director for USA Track and Field-Adirondack Division, and he was interviewed about the bombings. He said that as far as he knew, all of our local runners who participated were accounted for. There are a number of road races in my area (Troy Turkey Trot, Schenectady's Stockadathon, Mohawk-Hudson Marathon/Half-Marathon, Albany's Freihofer's Run for Women), the Freihofer's Run (my landlord is the director for that race) being the largest and most prominent (attracting International/Olympic-level runners). Apparently, the race organizers were supposed to be getting together to discuss the tragedy, and steps they would be taking to try to prevent or deal with such an event if it ever did happen at a race up here, "here" being the Albany NY area.

vCash
    NPR had a piece that explained why Al Qaeda doesn’t usually go after soft targets like malls and marathons - it pretty much boiled down to funding. The big showy attacks are more likely to get the interest from funders. An attack that takes out a couple of women and a child at an event that (contrary to some claims) most of the rest of the world knows nothing about, isn’t going to inspire people to fork over dough for their groups. They also said there is a first time for everything, however.
    Figure skating is hard.

vCash
    The Boston Marathon starts runners in waves, as packs, according to their qualification times. So although the race was 4:09 in, unless someone is an elite runner with a qualification time that put her in the first wave, she probably wouldn't have actually started at 10am. She may have started at 10:20, or 10:40, meaning she'd have finished later according to the clock shown.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Interesting comment Spareoom. It probably will end up being some lone sick individual who's angry with the world for whatever reason, and saw the perfect opportunity to inflict death and terror.
    Or angry in general, and wanting to do something that has a big impact. I imagine this person watching the media frenzy and the internet and enjoying all the fuss he's created. Could be someone who otherwise feels helpless and unnoticed, wanting to do something that has an impact, makes news, gets people riled up, and this certainly does.

The choice of targets - tons of people around, lots of media cameras already in place, urban cameras - suggests a somewhat brazen, don't care if I get caught kind of attitude. At the same time, as snoopy points out above, the thinking is somewhat limited in that this is not an event that much of the world knows about, and while the bombings might make brief headlines, there is little international impact. My guess is the bomber is a local person, and picked the most important event of the year locally, almost like they were trying to outdo Sandy Hook, just as that guy was trying to outdo Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Well if it is one guy, then I'd expect serial bombings like the Unabomber. The fact that no one is claiming credit makes me concerned that is it.
    Yes, my concern too is that the bomber has not spoken because he's planning to do more. Maybe this event didn't do enough for him, and maybe all the attention is just feeding the fire. Maybe this was a practice run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The choice of targets - tons of people around, lots of media cameras already in place, urban cameras - suggests a somewhat brazen, don't care if I get caught kind of attitude.
    From what I've read about people who commit major, brazen crimes, they often don't expect they'll be caught. They think they're smart enough that they won't be caught.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/bos...tim/index.html
    Beijing (CNN) -- Like thousands of others, the graduate student from China crowded around the finish line at the Boston Marathon to cheer on the runners.
    Her parents in Shenyang, China, wish not to have her name publicly disclosed, a request CNN is honoring.

She will remain nameless but not faceless, not forgotten.

Her photos on Facebook show her enjoying a simple student life of home-cooked meals in modest surrounding, smiles over warm cups of coffee, laughs with friends.

The day she died, she posted a picture of her breakfast to the Chinese social media website Weibo -- a bowl of fruit and some bread.

"My wonderful breakfast," she commented in English with a smiley face emoticon.
    In China, the news of the graduate student's death set off a wave of sympathy on social media sites.

By Wednesday, netizens there had added over 17,000 comments to the deceased's last Weibo post about her breakfast.
    Profiles on the 3 who died: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/bos...les/index.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    From what I've read about people who commit major, brazen crimes, they often don't expect they'll be caught. They think they're smart enough that they won't be caught.
    That too.

vCash
    When they do figure out who is behind this, I hope they never disclose the name or show photos. They can refer to him/her as "the coward". Nothing more. We have to stop giving these deviants the celebrity they seek. But, sadly, that is not the nature of the media.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSK8 View Post
    To go one step further, I think the Taliban have even disavowed any connection to the bombings.
    I believe it was the Pakstani Taliban that denied responsibility, but said they will release a statement once the group responsible claimed responsibility.

http://www.channel4.com/news/taliban...ahideen-denial
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    When they do figure out who is behind this, I hope they never disclose the name or show photos. They can refer to him/her as "the coward". Nothing more. We have to stop giving these deviants the celebrity they seek. But, sadly, that is not the nature of the media.
    On its face, this seems like a great idea. But I don't think you can blame the media for the fact that this wouldn't work. Think about it, how many people would accept knowing nothing about Adam Lanza? Nothing about who committed that crime? I don't think people would accept that, aside from the fact that there is no way to enforce it.

I think about this every time. It feels like we are giving the perpetrator everything he wants and thus inspiring others who crave attention to do similar things. But I don't think there's any direct way to stop this.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    NPR had a piece that explained why Al Qaeda doesn’t usually go after soft targets like malls and marathons - it pretty much boiled down to funding. The big showy attacks are more likely to get the interest from funders. An attack that takes out a couple of women and a child at an event that (contrary to some claims) most of the rest of the world knows nothing about, isn’t going to inspire people to fork over dough for their groups. They also said there is a first time for everything, however.
    I heard this too, it was an interesting piece. My husband is convinced it was some sort of anti-taxes nut job, but who the hell knows. Regardless it's awful, and I'm sure the longer it takes to find the terrorist(s) the more nervous authorities get that they'll strike again.

vCash
    I'm still in shock at what's happened. Patriots Day is such a day of happiness and celebration in Boston and in Massachusetts and it will forever be tarnished now. I just keep asking myself, WHY? Why, why, why? Not only am I afraid there will never be an answer to that, but that they're not going to catch who did this. It seems that there isn't a solid lead (that we know of). There were so many people around that area, anyone could have dropped the bags and walked away without arousing any suspicion at all. It's so much scarier to not have a name or face of who's responsible.

I've walked down that exact sidewalk so many times and have so many great memories of fun times in Boston. It won't stop me from going there, but I'll always be thinking of what happened. Whoever did this is a sick, sick F&%$ and should rot in hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    The Boston Marathon starts runners in waves, as packs, according to their qualification times. So although the race was 4:09 in, unless someone is an elite runner with a qualification time that put her in the first wave, she probably wouldn't have actually started at 10am. She may have started at 10:20, or 10:40, meaning she'd have finished later according to the clock shown.
    Glad to hear they started doing it that way. When I ran in 1991, the starting area was a mess, and the first 2 miles were extremely slow.

It seems that the bomber was not really targeting the runners, but just wanted a body count from a crowded, accessible area?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    On its face, this seems like a great idea. But I don't think you can blame the media for the fact that this wouldn't work. Think about it, how many people would accept knowing nothing about Adam Lanza? Nothing about who committed that crime? I don't think people would accept that, aside from the fact that there is no way to enforce it.

I think about this every time. It feels like we are giving the perpetrator everything he wants and thus inspiring others who crave attention to do similar things. But I don't think there's any direct way to stop this.
    Agree this is a tricky thing. I think also people need a name and a face, so that they can psychologically contain it to one person rather that be worried about the bad guy lurking around every corner.

I also think not naming the person would set off the conspiracy theorists in a big way. It could also incite a sense of vigilantism as people try to find out who it is, potentially harassing their families/associates/workplaces/neighbours and potentially targeting the wrong people.

All in all, better to put a name and face to it - and while the person may enjoy the fame and notoriety, hopefully it's from a jail cell.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    regardless of whether the public "should" be granted the image and name(s?) of whoever is behind this once they are found, there is absolutely zero chance that the identity will be kept secret.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I think its odd if there was a political motivation in any meaningful sense that no one has claimed responsibility. I think whoever did it may have had some very skewed, sort of political notions but it may not be any that really make any sense to anyone else.
    Even when it is Al-Qaeda/Taliban inspired or supported, sometimes it is a couple of months before anyone claims responsibility. Sometimes they wait until the person is captured or identified. And domestic terrorists like Rudolph, the Unabomber, etc. did not issue statements for years (decades in the case of the Unabomber). Quite often the motive is identified in a video or papers that are found or aired later or in a statement they make after capture. Unless it is something that is sent to the media or aired on Al-Jazeera, I think that the authorities would need to investigate any claims of responsibility before releasing details to the public.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    regardless of whether the public "should" be granted the image and name(s?) of whoever is behind this once they are found, there is absolutely zero chance that the identity will be kept secret.
    Of course not -- how could they even have a trial without the identity of the accused being known? Refer to him only as "the defendant" and have him wear a hood or mask? Creepy to think of something like that.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast