Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    empty your mailbox!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Someone still angry about the Battle of Lexington and Concord?
    A batshit insane Yankees fan who hates the Red Sox?
    Someone obsessed with Mitt Romney who thinks Massachusetts betrayed him?
    Well I think it's someone who was pissed that it was so hot last year when the Boston Marathon was run.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    al qaeda is a terrorist entity with followers in many parts of the world. I don't see anything dangerous about suggesting someone inspired by it might be responsible for a terrorist act.

I don't see anything grounding the speculation about a "gun nut" so why not broaden it to more possibilities:

Boston is home to numerous scientific institutions, maybe it was an animal rights extremist protesting use of animals.

We're very close to Earth Day maybe it was a unabomber sort of environmental crazy picking the biggest event near to Earth Day.

Tax Day's an obvious one.

I'm sure there's many more ideas that can be floated.
    Those are creative ideas but they are not as realistic as some of the others mentioned. It's good to brainstorm, but after brainstorming the unrealistic ones will be thrown out. Tax day - why is an obvious one to you?
    That's an idea for the sake of an idea.

Ultimately I hope that we find out who did it and why.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Tax Day? Because it was tax day and people hate taxes.

I think its odd if there was a political motivation in any meaningful sense that no one has claimed responsibility. I think whoever did it may have had some very skewed, sort of political notions but it may not be any that really make any sense to anyone else.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I definitely think this is a domestic act of terrorism, and with it happening on tax day and at the Marathon, I'm thinking it was committed by some anti-government militia movement.

vCash
    I spoke with a close friend this evening who has run twice in the Boston marathon. He told me very soberly that one of his nephews was running in it this year. He hadn't actually spoken to his nephew, but would have heard if something had happened to him, his family is the type that all comes running when someone is in trouble, (When he was sick last year, all his siblings took turns flying or driving to see him and staying with him.). He told me he thought the attack was particularly cruel.... Sigh,
    Last edited by sk8pics; 04-17-2013 at 02:17 AM.

vCash
    The NY Times reports that there are 17 people in critical condition this morning.

I have a hard time getting why I would need details or graphic photos to understand how horrific this is.
    A lot of people don't grasp the meaning of the phrase "traumatic amputation". It sounds medical and under control when a reporter or medical professional says it. They don't realize it means that many of the victims had limbs blown off.

vCash
    My city (Vancouver) has a very popular 10K run this weekend and the committee and runners are figuring out how to commemorate what happened in Boston. Runners want to wear something in support of Boston--some people are wearing blue because apparently that's apparently Boston's colour, or green because of the Irish heritage, or green & yellow because that's apparently the colour of the Marathon, or red/white/blue for the obvious reason. I don't know what they will decide.

Any Bostonites know what would be appropriate? I will be running a half marathon in the US in about five weeks. I'm even willing to wear black and gold, which I never thought I would *ever* do.

I know it's extremely early, but would it be possible for the runners from this year's race be allowed to race next year without having to qualify again. I'm thinking of those who weren't able to finish. I know entering the race is extremely tough, but I think those who didn't get to finish should be given another opportunity.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Boston Marathon bombs had simple but harmful design, early clues indicate (Washington Post)

The devices’ design was immediately recognized by counterterrorism experts as a type touted by al-Qaeda for use by its operatives around the world. Similar devices have been used by terrorists in mass-casualty bombings in numerous countries, from the Middle East to South Asia to North Africa.

...The pressure-cooker bomb is a standard part of al-Qaeda’s repertoire and has been hailed as cheap and effective in articles and handbooks written by veterans of the terrorist group. In 2010, the al-Qaeda-linked publication “Inspire” offered instructions for building a pressure-cooker bomb in an article titled, “Making a bomb in the kitchen of your mom.”

Faisal Shahzad, a 31-year-old Pakistani living in Connecticut, used a pressure cooker as part of a bomb that he tried to set off inside a vehicle in New York’s Times Square on May 1, 2010. He had trained with extremists in Pakistan and was sentenced to life in prison.
    Obviously, if the information is available on the internet anyone could access it, but it seems the design of the bombs and how the attack was carried out don't rule out al qaeda inspired individuals.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Considering that no one has come forward and claimed responsibility for this attack makes me think it was one person, or a very very small group of people. The crudeness of the bomb suggests that someone just went and made it in their garage using information they found on the internet. Also, the fewer people that are involved, the harder it is to track down the creator and find out why they did it.

The bomber may not have any big motivation beyond just a sick, perverted desire to inflict pain...I mean, people commit mass murder without political motivation all the time. Sandy Hook wasn't a political statement. Neither was a lot of school stabbings/shootings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Considering that no one has come forward and claimed responsibility for this attack makes me think it was one person, or a very very small group of people. The crudeness of the bomb suggests that someone just went and made it in their garage using information they found on the internet. Also, the fewer people that are involved, the harder it is to track down the creator and find out why they did it.

The bomber may not have any big motivation beyond just a sick, perverted desire to inflict pain...I mean, people commit mass murder without political motivation all the time. Sandy Hook wasn't a political statement. Neither was a lot of school stabbings/shootings.
    That is my leaning, too. There was no school on Patriot's Day, so it could have been a student who wanted to inflict pain, but not get caught (right away) like most school shooters do. Just a guess - hope I am wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Any Bostonites know what would be appropriate?
    The Yankees played Sweet Caroline at their game tonight, with active participation from the fans apparently. For some reason, I find that very touching. It wouldn't really work for a race though...

I was thinking this was domestic terrorism for sure, but now I do not know:

http://news.yahoo.com/experts-skepti...nlwYWdl;_ylv=3
    Creating drama!

vCash
    If you can, give blood at your local blood bank.

vCash
    My horse trainer is also a marathon runner who isn't running right now because of a busted knee. When we talked this morning she basically said the bombs went off right around her time - had she been able to go to Boston she would have been right there .

I have such a hard time reading the news, it is so horrifying. Seattle times hard interviewed a former Marine who was running, he said he tourniquet 8-10 people.

I also think that because no one has come forward it is a small group or a lone madman. But I bet from the device, events, targets, etc that FBI has their profilers in high gear, and something more precise will emerge.
    Check out my baking blog at http://morethandough.wordpress.com, and like it on facebook. Thanks!

vCash
    Interesting comment Spareoom. It probably will end up being some lone sick individual who's angry with the world for whatever reason, and saw the perfect opportunity to inflict death and terror.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I also think that because no one has come forward it is a small group or a lone madman. But I bet from the device, events, targets, etc that FBI has their profilers in high gear, and something more precise will emerge.
    I agree - but don't want to jump to any conclusions based upon what has been released to the public. In a lot of ways, lone angry people are scarier.

I understand the concern people have about a repeat of the bombing, but there is a small race on Saturday here. The amount of discussion/planning for any potential event is amazing. and not in a good way. I can understand the heightened security in a London marathon or event, but in the Midwest - a minor run, that is probably not on anyone's radar. I only knew about the race before the TV reports because my daughter in law, niece and brother are running in it.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Since last night, I haven't had to time to do anything other than read, and there are many posts I hope to respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I could be way off but given the time of year and choice of event, I am betting the perpetrators were domestic, McVeigh types.
    With Boston being home to the Boston Tea Party and the American Revolution (with the Battles of Lexington and Concord), both of which are events that hard-core, Right-Wing types admire, I tend to doubt that this would be a target of anti-government types. An attack by someone from that lunatic fringe would more likely target the Department of Revenue, the IRS, or a Federal Government building.

There are several significant historical events that took place on April 19th that include:

- In 1775, the Battles of Lexington and Concord, which kicked off the American War of Independence (aka the American Revolutionary War)

- In 1861, the Baltimore Riot, considered to be the first bloodshed of the War Between the States (aka The American Civil War)

- In 1943, the beginning of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

- In 1971, Charles Manson was sentenced to Death for Conspiracy for the murders of Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, Wojciech Frykowski, Abigail Folger, Steven Parent, Leno LaBianca, and Rosemary LaBianca.

- In 1985, the FBI siege on the compound of The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord (CSAL) in Missouri.*

- In 1993, the siege of the Branch Davidian Cult in Waco, TX, comes to a fiery end, with 76 fatalities inside the compound (6 B.D. members were killed during the siege prior to the fire)

- In 1995, the Oklahoma City bombing of the Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 and injuring hundreds more.

- Also in 1995,Richard Snell, a member of The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord aka CSAL (mentioned/linked above in the entry for 1985), was executed in the state of Arkansas. Snell shot and killed a pawn shop owner he mistakenly believed to be Jewish, and then shot and killed Arkansas State Trooper Louis Bryant, who was African-American. **

Of note:

- On April 20th 1999, The Columbine High School Massacre (by Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris). Reports have surfaced that the two had originally planned for the massacre to take place on April 19th to coincide with the anniversary of the OKC Bombing and the end of the Waco Siege, plus Robyn Anderson (a close friend of Klebold who purchased some of the weaponry used) was not going to be at school on that date. Delays in manufacturing of the propane bombs and acquiring some of the weapons resulted in postponing the date to April 20th.

- In 1889, April 20th was the birth date of Adolf Hitler. There was speculation at the time that Klebold and Harris were Neo-Nazos, though this (to the best of my knowledge at this time) has never been proven.

* : In addition to the typical beliefs of White Supremacy/Anti-Semitism, CSAL ascribed to the belief that the Federal Government was a "ZOG" (Zionist Occupied Government. It had close ties to Aryan Nation, the Aryan Brotherhood, and The Order, which all advocated for the violent overthrow of the US Government.

** : Snell never denied the crimes for which he was accused and later convicted of committing. For the murder of the Pawn Shop owner, he was convicted and sentenced to Death, and for the murder of the Arkansas State Trooper, he was convicted and sentence to Life in prison (as stated upthread, he was executed on April 19th, 1995, the same days the Oklahoma City bombing of the Murrah Federal Building.

Snell and Timothy McVeigh knew one another as they ran in the same circles. According to Wikipedia:

Snell had been accused of plotting to bomb the Murrah Building in the 1980s. Snell reportedly watched televised reports of the Oklahoma City bombing on the day of his execution and was appalled by what he saw. One theory holds that Timothy McVeigh committed his bombing in retaliation for Snell's execution. The two men did know one another, and ran in many of the same circles. However, McVeigh has said that his primary motivation for the bombing was retaliation against the government for its Waco Siege that took place exactly two years prior on April 19, 1993 and the government's handling of the Ruby Ridge crisis.
    Last edited by Cyn; 04-17-2013 at 05:43 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Interesting comment Spareoom. It probably will end up being some lone sick individual who's angry with the world for whatever reason, and saw the perfect opportunity to inflict death and terror.
    Well if it is one guy, then I'd expect serial bombings like the Unabomber. The fact that no one is claiming credit makes me concerned that is it.
    What would Jenny do?

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    My feeling it is probably either a lone wolf or a couple of lone wolves that have a grudge, for what reason is still unclear.

It will take time but we will get the bastard or bastards.

Considering the heinous nature of the bomb and the sole purpose of the bomb to severely maim its victims, he should be executed. Like I said earlier, my neighbor was there as the triage area and she feels he should be fried as well and she is as liberal as they come.

I know this goes against the anti-death penalty crowd but my feeling is in the first nanosecond of the first explosion, this guy forefeited his rights of as a member of the human race and became a piece of crap. I have no guilt about killing a piece of crap.

On a more positive note, I am very glad that President Obama is coming to the interfaith service in Boston tomorrow. A very welcome gesture in light of the madness of the past couple of days....
    Last edited by FGRSK8; 04-17-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    "I have no guilt about killing a piece of crap." That's probably just what the bomber is telling himself now about the people he killed.

While there are arguments for the death penalty that have merit, dehumanization is not one of them.

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast