empty your mailbox!
empty your mailbox!
That's an idea for the sake of an idea.
Ultimately I hope that we find out who did it and why.
Tax Day? Because it was tax day and people hate taxes.
I think its odd if there was a political motivation in any meaningful sense that no one has claimed responsibility. I think whoever did it may have had some very skewed, sort of political notions but it may not be any that really make any sense to anyone else.
Geese fought back.
I definitely think this is a domestic act of terrorism, and with it happening on tax day and at the Marathon, I'm thinking it was committed by some anti-government militia movement.
I spoke with a close friend this evening who has run twice in the Boston marathon. He told me very soberly that one of his nephews was running in it this year. He hadn't actually spoken to his nephew, but would have heard if something had happened to him, his family is the type that all comes running when someone is in trouble, (When he was sick last year, all his siblings took turns flying or driving to see him and staying with him.). He told me he thought the attack was particularly cruel.... Sigh,
Last edited by sk8pics; 04-17-2013 at 03:17 AM.
My city (Vancouver) has a very popular 10K run this weekend and the committee and runners are figuring out how to commemorate what happened in Boston. Runners want to wear something in support of Boston--some people are wearing blue because apparently that's apparently Boston's colour, or green because of the Irish heritage, or green & yellow because that's apparently the colour of the Marathon, or red/white/blue for the obvious reason. I don't know what they will decide.
Any Bostonites know what would be appropriate? I will be running a half marathon in the US in about five weeks. I'm even willing to wear black and gold, which I never thought I would *ever* do.
I know it's extremely early, but would it be possible for the runners from this year's race be allowed to race next year without having to qualify again. I'm thinking of those who weren't able to finish. I know entering the race is extremely tough, but I think those who didn't get to finish should be given another opportunity.
Boston Marathon bombs had simple but harmful design, early clues indicate (Washington Post)
Obviously, if the information is available on the internet anyone could access it, but it seems the design of the bombs and how the attack was carried out don't rule out al qaeda inspired individuals.The devices’ design was immediately recognized by counterterrorism experts as a type touted by al-Qaeda for use by its operatives around the world. Similar devices have been used by terrorists in mass-casualty bombings in numerous countries, from the Middle East to South Asia to North Africa.
...The pressure-cooker bomb is a standard part of al-Qaeda’s repertoire and has been hailed as cheap and effective in articles and handbooks written by veterans of the terrorist group. In 2010, the al-Qaeda-linked publication “Inspire” offered instructions for building a pressure-cooker bomb in an article titled, “Making a bomb in the kitchen of your mom.”
Faisal Shahzad, a 31-year-old Pakistani living in Connecticut, used a pressure cooker as part of a bomb that he tried to set off inside a vehicle in New York’s Times Square on May 1, 2010. He had trained with extremists in Pakistan and was sentenced to life in prison.
Geese fought back.
Considering that no one has come forward and claimed responsibility for this attack makes me think it was one person, or a very very small group of people. The crudeness of the bomb suggests that someone just went and made it in their garage using information they found on the internet. Also, the fewer people that are involved, the harder it is to track down the creator and find out why they did it.
The bomber may not have any big motivation beyond just a sick, perverted desire to inflict pain...I mean, people commit mass murder without political motivation all the time. Sandy Hook wasn't a political statement. Neither was a lot of school stabbings/shootings.
I was thinking this was domestic terrorism for sure, but now I do not know:
If you can, give blood at your local blood bank.
My horse trainer is also a marathon runner who isn't running right now because of a busted knee. When we talked this morning she basically said the bombs went off right around her time - had she been able to go to Boston she would have been right there .
I have such a hard time reading the news, it is so horrifying. Seattle times hard interviewed a former Marine who was running, he said he tourniquet 8-10 people.
I also think that because no one has come forward it is a small group or a lone madman. But I bet from the device, events, targets, etc that FBI has their profilers in high gear, and something more precise will emerge.
Interesting comment Spareoom. It probably will end up being some lone sick individual who's angry with the world for whatever reason, and saw the perfect opportunity to inflict death and terror.
I understand the concern people have about a repeat of the bombing, but there is a small race on Saturday here. The amount of discussion/planning for any potential event is amazing. and not in a good way. I can understand the heightened security in a London marathon or event, but in the Midwest - a minor run, that is probably not on anyone's radar. I only knew about the race before the TV reports because my daughter in law, niece and brother are running in it.
Since last night, I haven't had to time to do anything other than read, and there are many posts I hope to respond to.
There are several significant historical events that took place on April 19th that include:
- In 1775, the Battles of Lexington and Concord, which kicked off the American War of Independence (aka the American Revolutionary War)
- In 1861, the Baltimore Riot, considered to be the first bloodshed of the War Between the States (aka The American Civil War)
- In 1943, the beginning of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
- In 1971, Charles Manson was sentenced to Death for Conspiracy for the murders of Sharon Tate, Jay Sebring, Wojciech Frykowski, Abigail Folger, Steven Parent, Leno LaBianca, and Rosemary LaBianca.
- In 1985, the FBI siege on the compound of The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord (CSAL) in Missouri.*
- In 1993, the siege of the Branch Davidian Cult in Waco, TX, comes to a fiery end, with 76 fatalities inside the compound (6 B.D. members were killed during the siege prior to the fire)
- In 1995, the Oklahoma City bombing of the Murrah Federal Building, killing 168 and injuring hundreds more.
- Also in 1995,Richard Snell, a member of The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord aka CSAL (mentioned/linked above in the entry for 1985), was executed in the state of Arkansas. Snell shot and killed a pawn shop owner he mistakenly believed to be Jewish, and then shot and killed Arkansas State Trooper Louis Bryant, who was African-American. **
- On April 20th 1999, The Columbine High School Massacre (by Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris). Reports have surfaced that the two had originally planned for the massacre to take place on April 19th to coincide with the anniversary of the OKC Bombing and the end of the Waco Siege, plus Robyn Anderson (a close friend of Klebold who purchased some of the weaponry used) was not going to be at school on that date. Delays in manufacturing of the propane bombs and acquiring some of the weapons resulted in postponing the date to April 20th.
- In 1889, April 20th was the birth date of Adolf Hitler. There was speculation at the time that Klebold and Harris were Neo-Nazos, though this (to the best of my knowledge at this time) has never been proven.
* : In addition to the typical beliefs of White Supremacy/Anti-Semitism, CSAL ascribed to the belief that the Federal Government was a "ZOG" (Zionist Occupied Government. It had close ties to Aryan Nation, the Aryan Brotherhood, and The Order, which all advocated for the violent overthrow of the US Government.
** : Snell never denied the crimes for which he was accused and later convicted of committing. For the murder of the Pawn Shop owner, he was convicted and sentenced to Death, and for the murder of the Arkansas State Trooper, he was convicted and sentence to Life in prison (as stated upthread, he was executed on April 19th, 1995, the same days the Oklahoma City bombing of the Murrah Federal Building.
Snell and Timothy McVeigh knew one another as they ran in the same circles. According to Wikipedia:
Snell had been accused of plotting to bomb the Murrah Building in the 1980s. Snell reportedly watched televised reports of the Oklahoma City bombing on the day of his execution and was appalled by what he saw. One theory holds that Timothy McVeigh committed his bombing in retaliation for Snell's execution. The two men did know one another, and ran in many of the same circles. However, McVeigh has said that his primary motivation for the bombing was retaliation against the government for its Waco Siege that took place exactly two years prior on April 19, 1993 and the government's handling of the Ruby Ridge crisis.
Last edited by Cyn; 04-17-2013 at 06:43 AM.
"One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain."~~Thomas Sowell
My feeling it is probably either a lone wolf or a couple of lone wolves that have a grudge, for what reason is still unclear.
It will take time but we will get the bastard or bastards.
Considering the heinous nature of the bomb and the sole purpose of the bomb to severely maim its victims, he should be executed. Like I said earlier, my neighbor was there as the triage area and she feels he should be fried as well and she is as liberal as they come.
I know this goes against the anti-death penalty crowd but my feeling is in the first nanosecond of the first explosion, this guy forefeited his rights of as a member of the human race and became a piece of crap. I have no guilt about killing a piece of crap.
On a more positive note, I am very glad that President Obama is coming to the interfaith service in Boston tomorrow. A very welcome gesture in light of the madness of the past couple of days....
Last edited by FGRSK8; 04-17-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Happiness is being married to your best friend!
"I have no guilt about killing a piece of crap." That's probably just what the bomber is telling himself now about the people he killed.
While there are arguments for the death penalty that have merit, dehumanization is not one of them.
Geese fought back.