Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I've been reading the live blog at boston.com; there have been several posts stating that the last mile of the marathon was dedicated to Newtown, CT., and families of Newton victims were seated in VIP section 10 feet from explosion .

Can anyone confirm or refute this? It is one thing (out of several) being reported that I hope is found not to be the case .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I've been reading the live blog at boston.com; there have been several posts stating that the last mile of the marathon was dedicated to Newtown, CT., and families of Newton victims were seated in VIP section 10 feet from explosion .

Can anyone confirm or refute this? It is one thing (out of several) being reported that I hope is found not to be the case .
    Yes, I have read that this is true.

EDIT:

The Boston Marathon's Final Mile Was Dedicated to Newtown Victims

Adding further heartbreak to utter tragedy, the last mile of Monday's Boston Marathon, which was rocked by at least two explosions resulting in an unknown number of injuries and casualties Monday afternoon, was dedicated to the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...victims/64250/
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Wall Street Journal reports that an additional five undetonated devices have been found.
    And Wall Street Journal backs off the reports about undetonated devices. Officials are still investigating.

I so wish the media would shut up before spreading all this misinformation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimena View Post

I so wish the media would shut up before spreading all this misinformation.
    I agree. It is irresponsible. They do it every time something like this happens and they never seem to learn. All they do is spread rumors.

vCash
    NBC is now airing a special program about the bombings in Boston.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Out of all the comments I've read around and about on various sites, I had to shake my head over this one...

Someone actually complained about how the flags were just tossed to the ground as those First Responders/Police were trying to pull off the fencing and what not to get to victims close by the explosions. Also, how would you feel if that was your Country's flag that had just been tossed to the ground and how this could really end up becoming a major Intl incident.

Really? Of all the stuff that has happened today, *that's* what one stupid nimrod decides needs to be said?

I really do wonder about certain people at times like this....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I agree. It is irresponsible. They do it every time something like this happens and they never seem to learn. All they do is spread rumors.
    But if they waited for confirmations, people would be screaming their heads off that the media aren't doing their job or aren't keeping them informed.

vCash
    How tragic when that was such a fun and popular event. I hope people wont be too scared to run it now. That would be awful. It is horrible even a few people died from it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

Omigod, so were those the people who were the casualties! Nothing could be more wrong and cruel than that.

vCash
    Not only that, but this is an on going story and information changes *fast*. Mistakes are going to happen. It's called live as it happens Journalism.

I keep forgetting though....The Media's supposed to be perfect all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wristflick View Post
    Omigod, so were those the people who were the casualties! Nothing could be more wrong and cruel than that.
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The bomb seems to have gone off on the sidewalk. Normally, guests of honor would have been in the stands, not on the sidewalk.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us....html?hp&_r=1&

The War Zone at Mile 26: ‘There Are So Many People Without Legs’

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Not only that, but this is an on going story and information changes *fast*. Mistakes are going to happen. It's called live as it happens Journalism.

I keep forgetting though....The Media's supposed to be perfect all the time.
    There is a line. And the problem that develops is that one news outlet reports a rumor then other report it as a fact because the first one reported it. There was an interesting analysis of this written about the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax--basically local news in South Bend reported the story without verifying facts. National outlets like ESPN/ABC Sports and SI then picked it up and did not consider verifying because they assumed the local news outlets had verified. It becomes nothing more than a big circle of untruth that is mostly based on wanting to not get scooped by someone else. And the same thing has happened today. With the Te'o story, it really didn't matter all that much. But in circumstances like this it can have negative consequences.

Yes, mistakes will happen in "as it happens" reporting. But more care could be taken. I noticed that CNN today was careful to say "we don't have a confirmation on that" about a lot of things and that is the more responsible way to put information out there if you can't verify it. MSNBC, on the other hand, was reporting pretty much anything that may have crossed Twitter as true then having to go back and say it wasn't true later. The problem is that reporting without verifying can be damaging. Recall how Adam Lanza's brother was falsely implicated in the immediate aftermath of Newtown. No one should have to go through such a thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Sad. Deeply familiar with Boylston Street, a nice, walkable street with wide sidewalks. The 1st bomb went off directly across from the Boston Public Library where I'd often camped out as a kid doing schoolwork. Looks like the 2nd bomb went off near the busy Walgreen's down the street, directly across from the Prudential Center mall entrance.
    So sad. So many of us have spent so much time in that area. Growing up in the Boston area, Patriot's Day has always been a holiday for me. We always watched the marathon from near Wellesley College; it is such a big event in the Boston area.

I turned on NBC to watch Revolution, but they're showing a special about the bombings. I shouldn't be watching, because I can't really handle it, but I am.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    {{{{{Boston, and all those affected by this horrific event}}}}}}
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    20 Gentle Quotations from Mister Rogers
    3. FROM A PSA FOLLOWING SEPTEMBER 11, 2001

If you grew up with our Neighborhood, you may remember how we sometimes talked about difficult things. There were days ... even beautiful days ... that weren't happy. In fact, there were some that were really sad.

Well, we've had a lot of days like that in our whole world. We've seen what some people do when they don't know anything else to do with their anger.

I'm convinced that when we help our children find healthy ways of dealing with their feelings--ways that don't hurt them or anyone else--we're helping to make our world a safer, better place.

I would like to tell you what I often told you when you were much younger: I like you just the way you are.

And what's more, I'm so grateful to you for helping the children in your life to know that you'll do everything you can to keep them safe and to help them express their feelings in ways that will bring healing in many different neighborhoods.
    Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31936...#ixzz2QafHvaAZ
    --brought to you by mental_floss!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    There is a line. And the problem that develops is that one news outlet reports a rumor then other report it as a fact because the first one reported it. There was an interesting analysis of this written about the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax--basically local news in South Bend reported the story without verifying facts. National outlets like ESPN/ABC Sports and SI then picked it up and did not consider verifying because they assumed the local news outlets had verified. It becomes nothing more than a big circle of untruth that is mostly based on wanting to not get scooped by someone else. And the same thing has happened today. With the Te'o story, it really didn't matter all that much. But in circumstances like this it can have negative consequences.

Yes, mistakes will happen in "as it happens" reporting. But more care could be taken. I noticed that CNN today was careful to say "we don't have a confirmation on that" about a lot of things and that is the more responsible way to put information out there if you can't verify it. MSNBC, on the other hand, was reporting pretty much anything that may have crossed Twitter as true then having to go back and say it wasn't true later. The problem is that reporting without verifying can be damaging. Recall how Adam Lanza's brother was falsely implicated in the immediate aftermath of Newtown. No one should have to go through such a thing.
    It's so much easier when you're watching from home and haven't a clue about how Broadcast Journalism works, isn't it? As I said, mistakes happen and when something like what happened to Adam Lanza's Brother happens, the correction is made just as quickly. I also happen to know his Brother was also apologized to personally by the Networks. You tend to hear those kind of things when your a Member of two Journalism organizations and you know in the weeks and months after something like this happens, there is a look over how the respective Networks handled things and changes made due to those meetings.

Once again, it's *live* and mistakes happen. It's going to happen again during the next tragic mass horror that gets covered. It happened during September 11th, it happened during Columbine, it happened during the London bombings and it will happen again.

Just as I know you and others will bitch about how the Media gets it wrong during theses things over and over and over as well. As I said, it's oh so easy to be perfect when you're watching at home.

vCash
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopou...to-love-boston

29 Reasons To Love Boston

This list makes me nostalgic...and even brings a faint smile on this tough day....

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    As I said, it's oh so easy to be perfect when you're watching at home.
    Where are you watching?

I don't expect perfection, just some responsibility.

Adam Lanza's brother got apologies. How nice. What happened between the time it was reported that he was the shooter or possibly working with the shooter and the time that he got his apologies? Such things might just be mistakes as far as the media is concerned, but those mistakes can have grave consequences for innocent people. Adam Lanza's brother is STILL getting crap from people who think he must have been involved because they heard it on the news.

Mistakes are inevitable, but good quality control can make a huge difference in the number of mistakes that are made--and that applies to broadcast journalism just as well as it does to anything else.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Have been watching the hospital press conferences on local Boston TV, so far 2 hospitals reporting in that they have not found "ball bearings" in those that have been treated, just expected street debris. I'm dropping someone off at Logan Airport tomorrow morning, we are planning to arrive at least 2 hours ahead of the flight time. Expecting lots of additional security, including most likely spot checks of vehicles entering the airport.

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast