Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I feel like we should cut the father a little slack. The first reaction to horrifying news is often denial and finding out your sons were the perpetrators of such a crime has got to be shocking and terrifying.

I know people whose close relatives have been indicted for (non-violent) federal crimes recently and they are in deep denial in spite of mountains of evidence that they should be able to see in hindsight. It is just difficult to think the worst of your loved ones.

vCash
    Reporters are saying that the director of the CIA, the Secretary of State, and the Secretary of Defense have all just arrived at the White House, and that none of that was on the White House or President's public schedule. Of course, it may have nothing to do with Boston.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I wonder when the parents left the country - the younger brother is only 19, so if it's been a few years, it could be that they left him in the care of his older brother. Imagine the mixed emotions and confusion as they realize what's happened.

But then again we know so little of this family - there's an uncle who says he doesn't see them, rumour of two sisters, at least the father (not sure of the mother) in another country. So did the brothers live on their own, or with other relatives, family associates or others? That might affect our understanding of the relationship between the brothers and other family members, and why the father is reacting as he is.

vCash
    The family reportedly came to the US in 2003.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I think Jenny meant when did they go back to Russia?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Reporters are saying that the director of the CIA, the Secretary of State, and the Secretary of Defense have all just arrived at the White House, and that none of that was on the White House or President's public schedule. Of course, it may have nothing to do with Boston.
    I wonder if part of that is about the larger issues - people are pretty freaked right now - especially in the Boston area where they are on lockdown, but the rest of us too - and media and everyone else are jumping on every little tidbit like it might be related. There's a lot of confusion out there as well.

This is where Americans need some leadership - remember the criticism of Bush when it took so many hours for him to say anything on Sept 11 and the public didn't even know where he was - so the President might be conferring with key people on the best way to "calm the nation" and get things back to normal. Just as well it's a Friday, so a bit of a breather for everyone to spend time with loved ones and hopefully get back to life as normal on Monday morning.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I think Jenny meant when did they go back to Russia?
    Yes - and I'm fuzzy on whether they ever were in Russia before - I thought I read they had spent time in Turkey and one of the Stans before coming to the US as Chechyan refugees.

vCash
    And now for something completely different:

Update - 11:50 a.m.: Dunkin' Donuts has released the following statement to BuzzFeed.

"At the direction of authorities, select Dunkin' Donuts restaurants in the Boston area are open to take care of the needs of law enforcement and first responders."
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisen...uring-lockdown
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash

Apparently my sister's roommate (who is home now!) went to Dunkin' Donuts this morning (right near where the home of the suspects is!) and my sister was wondering how it was that it was open. Now we know!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash

That's kind of unfortunate for the employees keeping it open.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    One of the sisters lives in West New York, New Jersey. West New York is just up the hill from the Lincoln Tunnel.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2..._river_default
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I was thinking that! It kind of makes them adjunct first responders.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Hopefully employees had the option to stay home if they chose.

vCash
    Police "Everyone's on lockdown! Stay in your home. Oh, except you. We're gonna need donuts. You go to work." (Although it does sound like Dunkin asked to be open)

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    "being LOSERS!!!"

Chechen Uncle FTW!

vCash
    Okay, at this point it does seem like a couple of disaffected kids who happen to have a Chechen background – and they built working bombs and one of them has managed to avoid the entire Boston police department and ½ the FBI for at least 12 hours. It’s unfortunate they wasted their lives like this when they had abilities to build a positive life.
    Figure skating is hard.

Click me with your mouse
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Yes - and I'm fuzzy on whether they ever were in Russia before - I thought I read they had spent time in Turkey and one of the Stans before coming to the US as Chechyan refugees.
    IIRC, the uncle said they were born in Dagestan - which is a republic of Russia. It sounds like the family lived in Kyrgyzstan before coming to the U.S.

vCash
    This whole thing sounds like a Hollywood movie.

Last night just before I went to the gym (I go very late) the story was unfolding on the MIT campus. At that time they were only reporting that a police officer was dead, without mentioning any connection with the Marathon bombing. The FBI had released the pictures of the "suspects" (meaning they were pretty confident these two were the criminals at the finish line). By the time I got on the treadmill, they were already reporting a connection between the two. When I got home, I turned on the TV to find out more. It was confirmed that the episode on the MIT campus was indeed connected with the two suspects.

This morning I saw the names, nationalities of the two, and that one of them was killed in gunfire. The police/FBI want the other one alive to get more information. Apparently the parents went back to Russia after living in the USA for 10 years. The father could not believe that his sons would do something like this. They must have gotten on the wrong path at some point, without the parents knowing about it. The father even called them after he heard of the bombing at the Marathon, and they said they were not there.

From what I heard in the media this morning, they are trying to find out if there was an internaitonal connection, whether there were others helping these two men, whether there is an Al Queda connection, and so on. The case is very much open, and I believe that's why President Obama is meeting with his security team.

If they are lucky enough to catch the 19 year old alive, they could get more information. However, they don't sound optimistic about catching him alive because he has a lot of weapons including hand granades. I really hope they get him alive, otherwise we may never know the whole story.

The other things I heard were that the 19 year old has lived in the USA (Boston area) since he was 6-7 years old. He was a pretty nice guy, and a good athlete (wrestler) so those who knew him were shocked. Just goes to show that terrorists come in all shapes, forms and colors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    One of the sisters lives in West New York, New Jersey. West New York is just up the hill from the Lincoln Tunnel.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2..._river_default
    That explains why the NJ university I work for just sent out a campus-wide email, saying that the suspect might turn up in the area, so stay alert, don't approach, just call 911.

vCash
    They say 10 minutes until the press conference (and I know they said that earlier.)

They've brought in resources from all over the place. Nashua, NH bomb squad is the one checking the press conference area for explosives.

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast