Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Here is something strange. My BF called a little while ago. she said to me: Who do you think did this? I replied that it doesn't seem like the typical "terrorist" plot - no one is scrambling to take credit for it. She said she thought it was the gun lobbyists. I gasped because that was my first thought, as well. that some extreme nut job gun enthusiast wanted to prove that you could cause mass destruction with something other than a gun. I hope I (we) am crazy wrong.
    This is so strange! That thought crossed my mind yesterday. What if someone wants to make the point that guns are not the only way to kill people, if someone wants to?...here is an example: a bomb in a crowd. That's what came to my mind. I am not saying that's the case, but it is not an impossibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    This is so strange! That thought crossed my mind yesterday. What if someone wants to make the point that guns are not the only way to kill people, if someone wants to?...here is an example: a bomb in a crowd. That's what came to my mind. I am not saying that's the case, but it is not an impossibility.
    When I thought of it, I thought: no that can't be. But, at least 3 of us thought it. Scary!

vCash
    An upbeat bit of news in an otherwise horrible series of events. http://mashable.com/2013/04/16/colle...ston-marathon/ 12,000 people have RSVP'd so far.

vCash
    Well to add to that gun nut theory, the bomb makers did *not* use C4 - which IIUC is a regulated material. So the comparison to unregulated bomb materials to unregulated guns would stand. You'd still need technical knowledge to build the bomb though, when almost any hooha can fire off a gun.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Twitter:

Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 34s
    Boston University reports third person killed was a graduate student at Kenmore Square school.
    Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 4m
    BU says victim was one of three friends watching the race at the finish line. Second BU student was injured, but is now slowly recovering.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-16-2013 at 11:04 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm still going with al qaeda inspired terrorists because I think they are very motivated, and it just seems someone in that category was bound to pull something off sometime.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I had the same thought -- not that it was a gun lobbyist because lobbyists and terrorists are not the same thing, but that it was some nut motivated by the Gun Control debates. It crossed my mind after a gun enthusiast acquaintance of mine pointed out to me yesterday that people don't need guns to kill other people and also asked me if the "liberals" were going to ban knife sales after the stabbing attack in the school in Texas.

Terrorism does not have a legally binding definition or even a consensus definition among countries/experts. Terrorists don't have to act in groups. And individual terrorists do not always call in after the event and claim responsibility or state their motives. Eric Rudolph did not make a statement about the 1996 Atlanta Olympics bombing until 2005 (although he did call the police before the explosion to tell them about the bomb, but he did not identify himself). McVeigh and Nichols didn't call in and claim responsibility (they were apprehended quickly). The anthrax attack terrorist never spoke out. The Unabomber didn't start sending letters and manifestos for years.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    CNN is reporting that an envelope that tested positive for ricin was found at the US Capitol's off site mail facility.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/tai...ted/index.html
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I was getting my hair highllighted today, the man who was getting his haircut in the next chair was adamant that the "arabs" were behind the attack because the President said it was a terrorist attack. That we need to kill them all. It's this kind of jumping to conclusions based on a word or two or what we think it means. People sometimes hear what they want to hear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I had the same thought -- not that it was a gun lobbyist because lobbyists and terrorists are not the same thing, but that it was some nut motivated by the Gun Control debates.
    So, that's 4 of us with the same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    CNN is reporting that an envelope that tested positive for ricin was found at the US Capitol's off site mail facility.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/tai...ted/index.html
    Are they thinking it's related to Boston?

vCash
    I think that what Cyn said earlier in this thread was her concern that a news media source would grab on the "crazy gun people". I think making a jump that the event is triggered/inspired by the gun control people is just as dangerous as thinking it is an al qaeda inspired event. We simply do not have enough information (or information that has been released by the FBI and other investigative departments) to jump to anything.

I don't want to see any group or stereotype/looks like a terrorist be unfairly profiled.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    The NY Times reports that there are 17 people in critical condition this morning.

I have a hard time getting why I would need details or graphic photos to understand how horrific this is.
    People process thing differently. A women here at work was of the "only 3 people died, it wasn't that bad" school of thought until we told her about all the body parts that were everywhere. She almost threw up. But because she hadn't *seen* them, she hadn't really processed that.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Here is something strange. My BF called a little while ago. she said to me: Who do you think did this? I replied that it doesn't seem like the typical "terrorist" plot - no one is scrambling to take credit for it. She said she thought it was the gun lobbyists. I gasped because that was my first thought, as well. that some extreme nut job gun enthusiast wanted to prove that you could cause mass destruction with something other than a gun. I hope I (we) am crazy wrong.
    At work someone was convinced it was the Gun Control Lobby -- trying to get more controls in place. "Those people" want to control everything, not just guns, was this rational.

I think it's whatever group I hate the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    There are some whack-jobs out there. I was at work when I heard about it.
    I wonder why they waited until well after the elite athletes had crossed the line.
    Because they wanted to target as many Americans as possible. The elite runners are usually from somewhere else, often from Kenya, Ethiopia.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I was getting my hair highllighted today, the man who was getting his haircut in the next chair was adamant that the "arabs" were behind the attack because the President said it was a terrorist attack. That we need to kill them all. It's this kind of jumping to conclusions based on a word or two or what we think it means. People sometimes hear what they want to hear.
    Especially since they were making a big point on the news that the President hadn't used the word terrorist at all.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    al qaeda is a terrorist entity with followers in many parts of the world. I don't see anything dangerous about suggesting someone inspired by it might be responsible for a terrorist act.

I don't see anything grounding the speculation about a "gun nut" so why not broaden it to more possibilities:

Boston is home to numerous scientific institutions, maybe it was an animal rights extremist protesting use of animals.

We're very close to Earth Day maybe it was a unabomber sort of environmental crazy picking the biggest event near to Earth Day.

Tax Day's an obvious one.

I'm sure there's many more ideas that can be floated.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Someone on the Opera-L list said she had no words, but posted the link to Arlene Auger singing "Ihr habt nur Traurigkeit" from Brahms' "Ein Deutsches Requiem."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7s7u-J5W9o
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I think that what Cyn said earlier in this thread was her concern that a news media source would grab on the "crazy gun people". I think making a jump that the event is triggered/inspired by the gun control people is just as dangerous as thinking it is an al qaeda inspired event. We simply do not have enough information (or information that has been released by the FBI and other investigative departments) to jump to anything.

I don't want to see any group or stereotype/looks like a terrorist be unfairly profiled.
    No one is saying that a "crazy gun person" did it. Just that it occurred to them. And before they heard it suggested by anyone else. Whoever did it is a terrorist. Whether it is Al Qaeda, a Gun Nut, or some monster with a grudge we know nothing about. None of us know who did it, just expressing possibilities.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Someone still angry about the Battle of Lexington and Concord?
    A batshit insane Yankees fan who hates the Red Sox?
    Someone obsessed with Mitt Romney who thinks Massachusetts betrayed him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    At work someone was convinced it was the Gun Control Lobby -- trying to get more controls in place. "Those people" want to control everything, not just guns, was this rationale.
    There was talk of this after the Newtown tragedy, that it was all staged to make a case for more gun control. And this poor man who took in some of the scared kids was harassed by nutbars who were convinced he was part of the conspiracy http://www.salon.com/2013/01/15/this...rassed_for_it/
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    (((((kittyjake, Bostonfan and all my FSU friends in the vicinity of the tragedy.)))))
    My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you.

vCash
    Twitter:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 2m
    Consulate says 3rd victim in Boston Marathon bombing is Chinese national: http://apne.ws/15j7rqH -CC

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast