Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    April is the month of the Oklahoma City bombing, Waco, Columbine, Hitler's birthday and yesterday was federal tax day as well. The MA celebration is called "Patriot's Day." The bomb does not sound like the Al Qaeda MO.

It could be a lone nut without ideology but I'll be very surprised if that's the case.
    I'd be surprised as well. I'm thinking the date was picked purposefully. But I also think it may be someone home-grown, not representative of a foreign group. The date, to me, is more symbolic within the US than outside it. Likewise, Boston is a secondary city, less of an obvious target from overseas - as the Dept. of Homeland Security has said, it's a place that terrorists from outside the US gather and plan, in order to execute in NYC; not necessarily a place specifically targeted itself.

But that's just me guessing.

Everyone at home is really shook up, as one might imagine. Happily, my friends running had either already finished the race, or were stopped in Newton. But everyone there is really freaked out about this, understandably. I think - and this is just me trying to remember my history, so I could be incorrect - that the last terrorist bombing in Boston was in the early 1900's, around the time of WW1, when anarchist activity there was quite high. So it's been generations since the city was last targeted like this.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-16-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I have no idea if the date or the city played a major (or any) role in this horrible bombing. If anything, I think the large gathering of people and the high visibility of the event world-wide, and especially the media coverage at the finish line, may have played as much a role as anything. I can't comprehend what goes on in the mind of anyone unbalanced or fanatical enough to do something like this, so I'm probably completely off track. I just hope whoever is responsible is apprehended and prevented from doing something similar again.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Here is something strange. My BF called a little while ago. she said to me: Who do you think did this? I replied that it doesn't seem like the typical "terrorist" plot - no one is scrambling to take credit for it. She said she thought it was the gun lobbyists. I gasped because that was my first thought, as well. that some extreme nut job gun enthusiast wanted to prove that you could cause mass destruction with something other than a gun. I hope I (we) am crazy wrong.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I found out last night there were around 12 runners from the ArkLaTex (a couple I knew). Some areas included Shreveport (Red River Roadrunners), Bossier and Texarkana. All the runners were okay. Here's a video from KTBS news in Shreveport if anyone's interested:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Local-React...6/-/index.html

The American Red Cross has responded to the Boston Marathon explosions. They give a list of ways to help which include donating blood:

http://www.redcross.org/news/press-r...hon-Explosions

My heart goes out to all the families. I just can't comprehend how anyone can be that evil ... and that's what it is. Pure evil.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    those stories about the Richard family are so heartbreaking
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    There are some whack-jobs out there. I was at work when I heard about it.
    I wonder why they waited until well after the elite athletes had crossed the line.

vCash
    The other two deaths were female adults. One has been identified as 29-yr-old Krystle Campbell, a restaurant manager from Arlington. She and a friend were there to watch the race and cheer on Krystle's boyfriend; her friend was injured.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-16-2013 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    Reading all the reports, I wonder if the bomber's intent was to kill or just maim. For the amount of people who were packed in the area and how many were injured, the death toll is shockingly, amazingly low. It sounded like the blast was concentrated at people's legs, whether by accident or design. That would account for the high number of amputations but low number of fatal injuries.

I can't imagine how the survivors are going to pick up their lives and go on, but at least they still HAVE their lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    My life long friend Sheila was with her nephew, his wife and their 12 month baby waiting at the finish line waiting for their cousin who was running. They were 10 feet away from the explosion. She shouted to her family to run and she went right in and started helping people, she is a trained nurse. She ripped of her jacket and tied a tourniquet around a young girl's legs, what was left of them...........
    I can not imagine how you are all feeling and dealing with this. My heart goes out to all the people in Boston. I and many many others would stand in a long line if we could undo what has happened to these innocent bystanders. tears.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    There are some whack-jobs out there. I was at work when I heard about it.
    I wonder why they waited until well after the elite athletes had crossed the line.
    The time when the bombs went off, in relation to when the race started, is historically when the largest amount of runners are finishing the race.

I'm going to Boston in two weeks, for my sixth time there. It's a wonderful city that I always look forward to visiting, and I am so saddened by all this....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Email message from singer James Taylor:

April 16, 2013
    ....our Marathon

Bostonians are rightly proud of our Marathon.
    It is a uniquely American event which opens its arms to the world.
    Any and all are welcome: men and women, able-bodied and disabled, young and old across the races and religions of the planet.
    That anyone could target this celebration of global family is impossible to conceive.
    Our hearts ache for the injured innocents; and we are so grateful and proud of our first-responders, our President, our Governor and Mayor for their calm strength and leadership in this tragic time.

~ James Taylor, April 15, 2013
    EDIT:

A Message from WGBH President Jon Abbott

WGBH joins with our community in sadness, in the wake of an event that has shaken our city to its core. Our hearts go out to those whose lives have been affected by this tragedy, and our gratitude goes to all those who have been reaching out to help.

We will continue to dedicate our news resources —TV, radio, and Web — to the unfolding story, as we all deal with the aftermath of the explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line. Classical New England will continue to offer calm, comforting music selections while keeping listeners abreast of essential information. We invite you to share your requests, thoughts, and feedback through Facebook or Twitter.

WGBH is covering the Boston Marathon explosions all day on radio, TV, and the Web.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-16-2013 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Lots of wacko-types crossed my mind, but my best guess is that it was some Boston area college or high school bomb-geek/hermit who wanted to see what kind of chaos he could generate. Kind of like a school shooting outside of the school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Reading all the reports, I wonder if the bomber's intent was to kill or just maim. For the amount of people who were packed in the area and how many were injured, the death toll is shockingly, amazingly low. It sounded like the blast was concentrated at people's legs, whether by accident or design. That would account for the high number of amputations but low number of fatal injuries.

I can't imagine how the survivors are going to pick up their lives and go on, but at least they still HAVE their lives.
    I think many of the people who lost limbs would have bled out if they had to wait for medical care to get to them, but because the marathon has a medical tent to treat a large number of runners, at the finish line, they were able to control bleeding and get people to the hospital much quicker than if this had happened at any other type of event. Marathons expect a high percentage of finishers will need some sort of quick care, and a small percentage will need to be transported- so all of that is already on hand.

vCash
    There are reports that the police have found what they believe is the circuit board used to trigger the explosions. ETA: Confirmation by the Boston Globe.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-16-2013 at 08:48 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    The Saudi Embassy says that they've been told the man being questioned is not a suspect: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...oVO/story.html

The article, at the end, talks a bit about the Saudi government's program to send their students to the US, as a way to improve understanding between the two nations, which is kind of cool.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Even though I am 2000-3000 miles away, I am affected by what happened in Boston. Today just does not seem 'normal' even though I am going through my normal routine. I hope they find the perpetrators and bring them to justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Reports have been that these explosives were not very sophisticated devices, so I doubt "maiming, not killing" was the intent. If the explosive devices were in backpacks on the ground, then it would be expected that most of the damage and injuries would be at a low level, rather than higher up.

Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The time when the bombs went off, in relation to when the race started, is historically when the largest amount of runners are finishing the race..
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I think many of the people who lost limbs would have bled out if they had to wait for medical care to get to them, but because the marathon has a medical tent to treat a large number of runners, at the finish line, they were able to control bleeding and get people to the hospital much quicker than if this had happened at any other type of event. Marathons expect a high percentage of finishers will need some sort of quick care, and a small percentage will need to be transported- so all of that is already on hand.
    Yes, I think the timing probably was meant to be when there were more people there. The fact that there were so many medical personnel already at the finish line to deal with potential marathon runners' usual medical needs, certainly contributed to minimizing the fatalities, which would have been higher otherwise (I read one doctor estimating at least 2 or 3 times higher).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I think the intent was to terrorize.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    April is the month of the Oklahoma City bombing, Waco, Columbine, Hitler's birthday and yesterday was federal tax day as well. The MA celebration is called "Patriot's Day." The bomb does not sound like the Al Qaeda MO.
    I agree. They'd have claimed responsibility by now as well.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    ugh, I know this is inevitable, but how absolutely horrid:
    Boston Marathon charity scams already popping up

People who want to give to support victims, please take an extra moment to make sure that you are giving to a legitimate organization. If you are not 100% certain, do not donate.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast