Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    A friend of mine worked trauma yesterday and she said it was a good thing it happened where it did.

First, with the abundance of medical personnel present, victims were immediately attended to. She said that if there had been no medical people present and there was a wait for ambulances, many of these people would have bled out and the death toll would had been at least 2 to 3 times what is is.

Second, there was such a high concentration of camera crews both private and public, the chances are very good that something was caught on film. It just will take time to sort through all of it.

This woman is a pacifist and I was surprised at her answer when I asked her what they should do to this guy. Her answer. "If you had seen the blood and carnage I saw...two words..death penalty."
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Bostonfan - how devastating for your dad's neighbor, his whole family is torn apart. I hope his wife and daughter are able to recover (physically, at least).

kittyjake - what an amazing story about your friend's kindness. I can't even imagine the level of exhaustion and emotional turbulence she is going through - and all Bostonians.

re: images - seems like specific photos, even when grim/gory, have made a defining impact on people about horrific events. I wouldn't want to eradicate some of those photos from history. I think it becomes overload and tips to inappropriate now because 1) EVERYONE has a camera on them, so photos and videos can come from the very moment something happens 2) internet and 24/7 tv coverage guarantee that the public will be deluged with images. it's overwhelming, and it can become overkill. But I admit - I took a 5 hour break from media last night, and when I came back, was wanting there to be coverage on tv so I could get up to speed, and I had missed the special news reports. 3) The effort (and demand) to make all images available immediately means there is little filtering or editing. I wanted to see some images, in an attempt to understand the incomprehensible, but I'm afraid to click on any photostreams because I don't think I can take close up images of severed limbs and people in agony. At least not on a day when I have to go to work and be functional.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    re: images - seems like specific photos, even when grim/gory, have made a defining impact on people about horrific events. I wouldn't want to eradicate some of those photos from history. I think it becomes overload and tips to inappropriate now because 1) EVERYONE has a camera on them, so photos and videos can come from the very moment something happens 2) internet and 24/7 tv coverage guarantee that the public will be deluged with images. it's overwhelming, and it can become overkill. But I admit - I took a 5 hour break from media last night, and when I came back, was wanting there to be coverage on tv so I could get up to speed, and I had missed the special news reports. 3) The effort (and demand) to make all images available immediately means there is little filtering or editing. I wanted to see some images, in an attempt to understand the incomprehensible, but I'm afraid to click on any photostreams because I don't think I can take close up images of severed limbs and people in agony. At least not on a day when I have to go to work and be functional.
    I feel the same as you. I have to be careful what I hear & see because horrific things can haunt me & disturb my sleep for months/years. But too much hiding from evil lets people trivialize it to a certain degree. You can talk about 9-11 but without pictures of the destruction you can't really identify with it. The victims become those "other people" who aren't real to us. I don't need to see severed limbs but the knowledge that about 140 people were injured doesn't have the impact that the knowledge that many of the injured have severed limbs has.

INTJ
    vCash
    (((Bostonians))) (((runners))) (((first responders, nurses, doctors)))
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I feel the same as you. I have to be careful what I hear & see because horrific things can haunt me & disturb my sleep for months/years. But too much hiding from evil lets people trivialize it to a certain degree. You can talk about 9-11 but without pictures of the destruction you can't really identify with it. The victims become those "other people" who aren't real to us. I don't need to see severed limbs but the knowledge that about 140 people were injured doesn't have the impact that the knowledge that many of the injured have severed limbs has.
    I think what really makes an impact isn't the numbers or the pictures, but the personal stories. There's a difference between reading that many people lost limbs and reading the story of a person who lost a limb, or worse, lost their life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Yeah, you're right.

But on a related note, what could people have against Boston? It's probably the least uncontroversial of major American cities.
    Uncontroversial? We're hugely controversial. We're the godless liberals up here in Massachusetts, the bluest of the blue states. We have that evil institution called Harvard. And same-sex marriage. A LOT of people in the country don't like us. But I don't think that has anything to do with the bombings. Instead, the marathon is a huge international event, the most prestigious marathon in the world. All the best runners from all over the world race in it because not just anyone can enter. You must qualify. Besides, it's a holiday--Patriots Day--in Massachusetts in commemmoration of the "shot heard 'round the world," or the battle of Lexington and Concord, the first battle of the American Revolution back in 1775 (you know--the one made famous by Paul Revere's ride). It's a big party: A lot of people have the day off and schools are closed. If you wanted to make a statement by a bombing, this would be the event.
    Last edited by J-Ro; 04-16-2013 at 05:11 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Massachusetts voted for McGovern!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FGRSK8 View Post
    A friend of mine worked trauma yesterday and she said it was a good thing it happened where it did.

First, with the abundance of medical personnel present, victims were immediately attended to. She said that if there had been no medical people present and there was a wait for ambulances, many of these people would have bled out and the death toll would had been at least 2 to 3 times what is is.

Second, there was such a high concentration of camera crews both private and public, the chances are very good that something was caught on film. It just will take time to sort through all of it.

This woman is a pacifist and I was surprised at her answer when I asked her what they should do to this guy. Her answer. "If you had seen the blood and carnage I saw...two words..death penalty."
    Exactly. I'm in the Boston area and I thought the situation was handled brilliantly by the police (who already had a plan in case something like this happened). The abundance of medical personnel and the close proximity to a concentration of the best hospitals in the world likely saved a lot of lives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    We were the only state that had any sense.

vCash
    Anita did call it the least uncontroversial -- but she probably meant the opposite.

I'm with those who would rather have the option of NOT seeing excessively gory images. Just reading about severed limbs is disturbing enough for me. Those poor families of those who lost life or limb. Praise to all those first responders, official or not, who helped to save lives amid the chaos.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    I made it into my office which is about 1 mile from where the explosions happened. Folks are walking around shell shocked. We are just gong through the motions right know. My telephone is usually ringing off the hook eerily I have not received one telephone call this morning.

No one on my train was reading the newspapers. The carnage was to fresh. The Transit Stations are like armed camps. I take a commuter rail train into Boston's South Station. Military personnel with weapons were stationed at just about all of the exits. Random searches were taking place, bomb sniffing dogs at all of the boarding areas of the trains.
    I was a wreck by the time I got to my office.

Thanks to everyone for their support.
    My heart goes out to you and all Bostonians. (((HUG)))

Your description of the transit stations reminds me of when I lived in Israel...that's SOP there. When I first arrived in Israel all the security, armed guards, young soldiers going to and fro on buses with their machine guns was unnerving. But it was surprising how quickly one adapted to those circumstances, and it just became a part of the environment. Children are taught from early childhood to never touch or approach a suspicious package/parcel, and to report it to an adult. Better safe than sorry is the Israeli motto.

EDIT: Heartbreaking...

BuzzFeed ‏@BuzzFeed 28s
    This is Martin Richard, the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing http://bzfd.it/Zv31Wf pic.twitter.com/Z9edbe21mD
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.

vCash
    The AP is reporting that the explosives were made from pressure cookers, containing metal and ball bearings. These were then put inside black nylon bags/bookbags.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Ro View Post
    We were the only state that had any sense.
    yes, you and one entity which has three electoral votes...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Your description of the transit stations reminds me of when I lived in Israel...that's SOP there. When I first arrived in Israel all the security, armed guards, young soldiers going to and fro on buses with their machine guns was unnerving. But it was surprising how quickly one adapted to those circumstances, and it just became a part of the environment. Children are taught from early childhood to never touch or approach a suspicious package/parcel, and to report it to an adult. Better safe than sorry is the Israeli motto.
    Yes, you basically have to let your car and later your bag be inspected whenever you enter someplace public in Israel - it's always strange for me not to have to do that when I'm abroad - and if it's somewhere really busy/crowded, there can be additional security. The soldiers are usually just travelling to and from their bases (Israeli soldiers go home more frequently than American college students...) and they're not on duty, but I can see how it would appear unnerving to someone not used to it.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 04-16-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Anita did call it the least uncontroversial -- but she probably meant the opposite.

I'm with those who would rather have the option of NOT seeing excessively gory images. Just reading about severed limbs is disturbing enough for me. Those poor families of those who lost life or limb. Praise to all those first responders, official or not, who helped to save lives amid the chaos.
    Yes, I did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    They are just reporting on the news that the little boy died moments after hugging his dad at the finishing line. Just breaks your heart.
    There are some truly wicked people on this planet. I hope they get the culprits very quickly.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/bos...html?hpt=hp_c2

This is the most heartbreaking story (so far) - can't imagine what that poor man (father/husband/runner) must be going through. His 8 year old son is dead. His 6 year old daughter had her leg amputated (she is expected to survive), and his wife underwent surgery due to brain injury (not sure about her status). All this because of a few crazy people that take sick pleasure in hurting others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Just found out from my dad that the 8 year old that died was his neighbor's son. And his neighbor's wife and daughter (same family) are undergoing surgery.
    Bostonfan, I just posted a link to an article about this family- I had not read your post at that time. I am so sorry to hear this. It must be so hard for your Dad. My thoughts are with all those affected by this horrible tragedy.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    April is the month of the Oklahoma City bombing, Waco, Columbine, Hitler's birthday and yesterday was federal tax day as well. The MA celebration is called "Patriot's Day." The bomb does not sound like the Al Qaeda MO.

It could be a lone nut without ideology but I'll be very surprised if that's the case.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Checking in from Boston. We are utterly devastated at what happened in our City today. My prayers go out to the injured and to those who lost their lives today.
    I have been glued to my TV since 3:00 p.m. Our city is in a lock-down for the next 24-48 hours. I have no words just sadness.
    My deepest condolences to you Bostonians.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast