Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Thank goodness - I got in touch with him. I knew the cell phone lines were down but he wasn't responding to my texts so I started trying to call anyway. He had no idea that cell phone towers had been shut down at all, I guess they must be back up. Apparently he and his girlfriend were planning to go cheer at the finish line, but traffic was really bad so they turned back - thank goodness. He did say that they got the day off at Harvard Business School and that one of his classmates was in the race but has been accounted for. Thanks for your thoughts, so very much appreciated.

I didn't think it would happen but I burst into tears when I heard his voice. A little embarrassing given that we had a really bad breakup several years ago but I was just so glad to know that he was okay.
    I'm so glad you heard from him and that he is alright. Thank goodness for traffic. And please don't ever feel embarrassed for having a good and caring heart.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My comment about observed day is for Patriot's Day, happening today on the 15th, not the observed day for the OKC bombing, the 19th, but also took place on Patriot's day.
    Since I think only like 2 states recognize this day as a holiday, many people in the country may not know about it. I doubt there is a tie in to this holiday, though start of revolutionary war is something a domestic terrorist might key in on, just as tax day is. I was merely mentioning that tax day is not the only significance of today, and while I was typing, ABC also started talking about notable worrisome events that happened on Patriot's Day.
    The actual date of Patriot's Day is April 19. Its like Washington and MLK's birthdays now and moves to a Monday, but the real day historically was April 19. Not that this has anything to do with anything, its just part of my Boston heritage to me. ETA: It is the observance of the Battles of Lexington & Concord which occurred on April 19.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    CNN is now saying this was a Terrorist Attack. Not saying how they know this, but that's what they're saying.
    It was a terrorist attack. That should not be in question. The question is was it a domestic or international terrorist.

Boston Police Commissioner currently on live says no suspects in custody and police presence at hospitals is precautionary and should not be construed as having to do with suspects or persons of interest.

vCash
    The Boston Symphony has cancelled their performance for this evening.

vCash
    Are there any FSUers in the area we should also worry about?

I heard from my cousin who lives in New Hampshire but is often in Boston on business. Fortunately he was not there today.

A close friend of mine has run the Boston Marathon twice in his life... Makes it hit closer to home for me.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    I watched the starting line as I do every year, so I was no where near the chaos. But I've been going to this event since I was 5 y/o. So many amazing memories. This news devastates me.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Obama speech should be beginning now, stuck at work...
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It's also Patriot's Day, which marks the start of the Revolutionary War. It's a big deal in Massachussetts, or was when I was there at least.
    ABC is talking about it a bit now- saying that Patriot's Day has a large tie to domestic terrorism- that the Waco compound raid took place on that day, as well as the OKC bombing (though not the same date as today, since the observed day is always a Monday.)
    Patriot's Day is a big day in *Boston*. The rest of MA doesn't get a holiday (in fact in Concord it was one of those days we more or less HAD to work) so no one really liked it. I honestly completely forgot it was anything special until someone on the news mentioned it now.

Haven't heard anything except the people from the Zoo are safe, I'm just assuming (because positive thinking, yeah) that most people I know just can't get to phones/computers to update that they're okay.

Shades of the IRA in the bad old days--target crowds on the street with package bombs designed to throw shrapnel. Could be a cell like London and the bombings on the underground.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Yahoo headline says Boston PD denies a suspect is in custody.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

FTR, The ATF/FBI raid on the Branch Davidian Compound (aka The Waco Siege) began on February 28, 1993, and ended with the compound going up in flames on April 19, 1993. The Okahoma City Bombing took place on April 19th, which was the second "anniversary" (for lack of a better word).

Cyn, looking at a calendar, April 19, 1993 was on a Monday, and April 19, 1995 was on a Wednesday. I remember 1995 really well because I had Thursday and Friday off from school, and we got out early on Wednesday. I was all happy that was going to get home to watch my soaps, but yeah that didn't exactly work out.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I may have spoken too soon about my cousin . . . neither he nor his girlfriend has updated Facebook or Twitter, and I can't find any mention of them anywhere online. Prayers for Joe and Judith would be appreciated. And for their kids as well.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    did you try this link? (I don't have anyone to look up, so no idea if it's useful)
    http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    did you try this link? (I don't have anyone to look up, so no idea if it's useful)
    http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/
    I did -- no results yet. But thanks anyway!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    yeah, I remembered to check my HS acquaintance (who I know is ok) and she came with no results. keeping fingers crossed for your cousins

vCash
    Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected by todays attack. My cousin and his family watched the marathon go by his home. It's such a celebratory event that has been ruined this day.

vCash
    Cell shutdown scared the bejeezus out of most of my coworkers who were trying to reach family and friends. When we switched to twitter, we were able to reach all but one. As of 5:00, we still couldn't find her. Hope she's ok.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Talking to Sasherka online now. She is in the office 10 miles from Boston

vCash
    Had to run an errand...oldies radio station played a song by BOSTON..& I cranked that volume sky high!

EDIT:

Twitter:
    Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 41m
    MARATHON EXPLOSIONS: Boston hospitals report 107 people brought to seven institutions for blast injuries -- in addition to 2 killed.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-16-2013 at 12:00 AM.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    my hubby was telling me a couple of guys from england were watching the race and his buddy got his leg blown off.. and now it seems a lot of those who are critical and one who has died are children.. this is just so awful, my heart goes out to the people of Boston and so glad to hear that so many are donating blood for the hospitals to use... my good friend FB message me as she is in boston visiting her kids as its a holiday day for them (one in college and one in boarding school) and they were downtown and she said in the restaurant the whole place 'shook'.. I'm so glad she was there for her kids as she lives in San Fran and would have been awful to have been on the west coast when both of your children are in Boston..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Didn't USFSA announce today that Boston was the site they're putting forward for the 2016 Worlds? Happy news for Mass. skating fans and then this. I would go to Boston no matter what.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast