Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Got in touch with my best friend from high school. She's safe and staying at work, not venturing out now. Haven't been able to get in touch with my ex-boyfriend yet and I'm a little worried since he's a runner - but it's a school day I'm hoping he just stayed on campus.

My dad just sent me a text saying "see what happened in Boston, you need to be careful all the time" - and while I understand his concern, I don't see how anyone could really "be careful" about this sort of thing
    I don't want to worry you, but I heard on the radio that schools in boston are closed for the marathon. Please let us know when you hear from him.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed ‏@BuzzFeed12m
    Google has a Person Finder page up for the Boston bombing http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/

The Boston Globe @bostonglobe: UPDATE: Police are asking everyone in Boston to stay home; if you do go out, do not travel in large groups.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I don't want to worry you, but I heard on the radio that schools in boston are closed for the marathon. Please let us know when you hear from him.
    The K-12 schools are closed for Patriot's Day. I used to go watch the Marathon on that day, because school is always out. But not all the colleges close for Patriot's Day.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    http://live.boston.com/Event/Live_bl..._Copley_Square
    BREAKING NEWS:
    Two explosions occurred near the Boston Marathon finish line at 2:50 p.m. The race was diverted before being halted as police and fire crews swept the area. Another device was found, which was purposely detonated by Boston Police at Boylston Street. Another incident at JFK Library, which was thought to be a fourth-related incident, is now being considered as a fire-related issue by the Boston Police Department. Two people are dead and at least 90 are injured. >>> This is a developing story.

-- Boston Police are looking for tips: 617-635-4500 or 1-800-494-TIPS.
    ETA that @JFKLibrary tweeted at 5:24 pm Eastern:
    "All staff and visitors are safe and accounted for. Thank you."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It's also Patriot's Day, which marks the start of the Revolutionary War. It's a big deal in Massachussetts.
    ABC is talking about it a bit now- saying that Patriot's Day has a large tie to domestic terrorism- that the Waco compound raid took place on that day, as well as the OKC bombing (though not the same date as today, since the observed day is always a Monday.)
    Regarding "the observed day is always a Monday" --

While Patriot's day is observed the 3rd Monday in April (like today), other than ABC's claim that it has ties to dometstic terrorism, where and how exactly are the Waco siege/the OKC bombing tied to Patriot's Day?

I did a bit of searching and cannot find anything that recognizes the observed day for the OKC bombing as anything other than April 19th is the anniversary, with all ceremonies and commemorations being held on the same date.

FTR, The ATF/FBI raid on the Branch Davidian Compound (aka The Waco Siege) began on February 28, 1993, and ended with the compound going up in flames on April 19, 1993. The Okahoma City Bombing took place on April 19th, which was the second "anniversary" (for lack of a better word).

Disclaimer: Lest ye think I'm fascinated by those ghoulish events from 1993 and 1995, the date of April 19th is one I'll never forget: I had an emergency appendectomy early in the morning of 4/19/95 and was wheeled back to my room about an hour before the bombing took place. Back then hospitals didn't have cable tv and the only thing shown on the networks that day (and most of the next) was news coverage, so I got a crash course about the bombing (and how it was the anniversary of the WACO Whackos) during my hospital stay.

vCash
    The NY Post (again, not necessarily trustworthy) has reported the BPD is looking for a yellow Penske rental truck which tried to enter the Marathon area before the race, claiming to hold medical supplies. It was stopped and refused entry, and it took off.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Twitter:
    Blogs of War ‏@BlogsofWar 50m
    We're at that point on Twitter were people are tweeting photos from other bombings to get attention. Careful with RTs.
    Lots of rumours, misinformation, misunderstandings, and just plain lies popping up all over the place, as always with happenings like these.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to this report, in response to the NY Post report of an arrest of a Saudi national, the Boston police deny having a suspect of any origin; the FBI is neither confirming or denying:

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...e-been-made-in
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Twitter:

Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 5m
    UPDATE: The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted a temporary ground stop that halted inbound flights to Logan International Airport

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I remember when that plane went down off the NE coast of South America a few years ago - there was no Twitter, but I remember getting forwarded emails that were of this "incredible" picture taken inside the cabin as it went down - and it was a screen capture from the plane crash that opens the tv show Lost.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Twitter

NHLconnected: Tonight's Sens vs. Bruins game has been postponed as a result of the bombings in Boston today. Our thoughts are with the victims.
    CNN saying Obama will address the Nation and World a little after 6 pm EST.

vCash
    From ABC's Jonathan Karl: President Obama to address nation from White House @6:10pm EDT re: Boston.

vCash
    I remember when that plane went down off the NE coast of South America a few years ago - there was no Twitter, but I remember getting forwarded emails that were of this "incredible" picture taken inside the cabin as it went down - and it was a screen capture from the plane crash that opens the tv show Lost.
    Things like that happens a lot in situations like this. A few years ago there was a video circulating claiming to be surveillance footage from inside the Columbine library, when it was actually a scene from a movie called Zero Hour.

vCash
    CNN is now saying this was a Terrorist Attack. Not saying how they know this, but that's what they're saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I did a bit of searching and cannot find anything that recognizes the observed day for the OKC bombing as anything other than April 19th is the anniversary, with all ceremonies and commemorations being held on the same date.
    My comment about observed day is for Patriot's Day, happening today on the 15th, not the observed day for the OKC bombing, the 19th, but also took place on Patriot's day.
    Since I think only like 2 states recognize this day as a holiday, many people in the country may not know about it. I doubt there is a tie in to this holiday, though start of revolutionary war is something a domestic terrorist might key in on, just as tax day is. I was merely mentioning that tax day is not the only significance of today, and while I was typing, ABC also started talking about notable worrisome events that happened on Patriot's Day.

vCash
    Horrible scene of the guy with his legs blown off. Simply horrifying. He woke up this morning having no idea he would be the victim of a cowardly attack. Life can certainly change in an instant. For all we know, he could very well be one of the fatalities being reported on by the media. Meanwhile I could suffer the same fate tomorrow on my Metro commute to work. One never knows what the crazy lunatics of the world are plotting next.

I had several friends running in the marathon today. Fortunately they were already finished and no longer near the finish line at the time of the explosion. I'm thankful they're safe this evening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Thank goodness - I got in touch with him. I knew the cell phone lines were down but he wasn't responding to my texts so I started trying to call anyway. He had no idea that cell phone towers had been shut down at all, I guess they must be back up. Apparently he and his girlfriend were planning to go cheer at the finish line, but traffic was really bad so they turned back - thank goodness. He did say that they got the day off at Harvard Business School and that one of his classmates was in the race but has been accounted for. Thanks for your thoughts, so very much appreciated.

I didn't think it would happen but I burst into tears when I heard his voice. A little embarrassing given that we had a really bad breakup several years ago but I was just so glad to know that he was okay.

vCash
    An important reminder from our Friends at Sesame Street on Twitter...

sesamestreet: Our hearts go out to all those affected by today's tragic events. We recommend not exposing young children to repeated images in the news.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I didn't think it would happen but I burst into tears when I heard his voice. A little embarrassing given that we had a really bad breakup several years ago but I was just so glad to know that he was okay.
    More than understandable though. ((((mkats))))

vCash
    From Col. Chris Hadfield on behalf of the entire crew of the International Space Station through Twitter...

Cmdr_Hadfield: Our crew just heard about the horrible events at the Boston Marathon. We all pass our condolences and thoughts to everyone affected.

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast