Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I just checked FB and discovered that a girl I went to high school with ran the marathon today. She's fine, and her whole group is fine - but I saw her post this morning about getting ready to race and didn't even connect the dots to this marathon until right now. small world, glad to hear she's okay.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Do these nutcases have nothing better to do?

This is so tragic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Not to go all crazy konspiracy, but this is Tax Day here in the US, and the explosion took place in Boston (home of the Boston Tea Party, etc.).
    It's also Patriot's Day, which marks the start of the Revolutionary War. It's a big deal in Massachussetts, or was when I was there at least.
    ABC is talking about it a bit now- saying that Patriot's Day has a large tie to domestic terrorism- that the Waco compound raid took place on that day, as well as the OKC bombing (though not the same date as today, since the observed day is always a Monday.)

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    BBC has video of the explosion as it happened

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-c...26#TWEET724557

There's no gore, but the blast itself (even though we know it's about to happen) is quite shocking. About 20 seconds after the first explosion, you can hear, but cannot see, the second one.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Friend is ok -left early since she's going on vacation tomorrow. Thank you for all the thoughts/prayers/well wishes. They seem to have worked
    Thank God, iona. I've been watching ever since it came on as a special report. As far I know from what's being reported that there were 2 more small bombs/packages located in two hotels - both in the same area. From what's been stated, there will be extreme precautions taken now for the British Marathon whenever they have it.

There was approximately 23 injured and at least 2 dead. The Red Sox game tonight was also mentioned. So, I'm assuming there will be a lot of security there. I'm wondering if they'll still even have the game.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I just checked FB and discovered that a girl I went to high school with ran the marathon today. She's fine, and her whole group is fine - but I saw her post this morning about getting ready to race and didn't even connect the dots to this marathon until right now. small world, glad to hear she's okay.
    So glad your friend is okay!

vCash
    Pleased to hear that the family, friends and loved ones have been accounted for and are okay.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    It was just mentioned that the small bombs may have been the kind of bombs that were used in Iraq.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    What if it does end up being done by some right-wing nutjob?
    Considering what happened in OKC, I wouldn't be surprized.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I can't believe what I am watching or hearing. Just...My God.

Glad to hear that friends and loved ones of FSUer's who have posted about them are accounted for and okay.

This was just Tweeted...

Paralympic: Awaiting full confirmation but looks like all elite wheelchair racers are accounted for following Boston Marathon.

vCash
    Boston Police and the FBI report that there were no threats made against the Marathon.

Police in NYC are on alert right now, and have been strategically deployed around specific areas of the city, just in case.

I understand that London's Marathon is this upcoming weekend, and they're looking at security for that event.

I am heartsick.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    What if it does end up being done by some right-wing nutjob?
    Considering what happened in OKC, I wouldn't be surprized.
    I'm also wondering the same thing. It's kind of crazy IMO that the bombs didn't go off until 3 hours after the winners crossed the finish line.
    Angie

vCash
    NY Post says they have a suspect in custody at a local hospital. Suspect was wounded in the bombing.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Some people in my office are leaving now, but I'm waiting until after 6pm.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Wow, I had no idea this was happening!!

vCash
    I was doing an errand, got into the car and the news radio station went on, I heard Boston Marathon, building, explosion, and knew my niece was running there. Since the reporters were "borrowed" ones from Boston radio and not my regular Philly news radio ones, I knew it was something big. I finally had to turn off the car radio because I was having a major anxiety attack, and I had to be able to drive home without a total breakdown behind the wheel. She still can't find her DH, although he has been heard from, they just can not connect. Her last post on FB (she must have borrowed a phone?) was something like: so many police, this is scary.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I'm also wondering the same thing. It's kind of crazy IMO that the bombs didn't go off until 3 hours after the winners crossed the finish line.
    Maybe someone didn't know exactly what they were doing bomb-wise?? I cannot fathom the mentality of people that do this kind of thing (guess that's good though)

vCash
    Twitter:

Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom1m
    MARATHON EXPLOSION: Toll rises to 2 dead, 64 wounded in Boston Marathon explosions

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    CBC Tweet...

CBCAlerts: Phone line set up for Canadians in Boston: 1-800-387-3124
    CNN is also reporting that Mass General is saying the death toll will be rising, but that was all that was said. I wish I could say I wasn't expecting to hear that, but....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Maybe someone didn't know exactly what they were doing bomb-wise?? I cannot fathom the mentality of people that do this kind of thing (guess that's good though)
    One poster on Twitter said that at that point in the race a large bulk of the non-elite runners are approaching the finish line.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast