Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    And I think, from what I read of Anne, she wouldn't have wanted people to be all glum and solemn visiting her house.
    I think there is a large area between glum and solemn and arrogant and egotistical. I have no problem with a light mood, but I still don't think the sign in book is a place for a joke (which I don't think this is)- because that book is read by millions, and not everyone feels that way. The house is a memorial not to just to her life, but also to her death, and the way she died. I agree, she likely wouldn't have wanted for people to be extremely solemn, but for most, it is a place of reflection, and not a place for a joke. Again, I still don't think it was a joke, and I think Beiber thinks of nothing but himself. A "maybe we could have had something in common" would have been a lot better than "maybe she would have been an extreme fan".

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    You know, at first I thought some of the inappropriateness of his remarks stemmed from the the plain ridiculousness of the word belieber. But if you change the word to fan - which is what it means- it shows more clearly, imo, how incredibly self centered he is.
    But in his mind, belieber does not equal fan. From many things he has said over the years, it seems to me that he looks at his fans as having a personality and common set of characteristics, and even values. To the rest of us, that might be screaming devotion and obsession, but to him, they are a bunch of nice people who support him and believe him, and inspire him. He often talks about how blessed he feels for all he has, and is especially grateful to those who support him.

At this point I really do think he was saying he thought she was a good person, just like all the beliebers are good people, and he hoped that he would be worthy of her notice. He apparently spent an hour in the museum - that's a long time for a celebrity run through - and had wanted to visit it for some time. He's not stupid, so it seems impossible that he did not fully understand who she was and her importance.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Well, I was one of those people on the fence about him before and after the monkey incident, his disastrous tour of the UK and now this I think he sounds like an egotistical twat.
    I like the kid, that's obvious, but I like animals a lot more, and am a lifelong supporter of animal rights. I was not happy to hear about the monkey, and sadly this is not the first pet he's had that didn't meet with a happy ending. I'm hoping very much that he starts showing the respect, care and commitment to animals that he does to his fans, and that the people around him - even if it's only for PR purposes, so be it - step in.

vCash
    Whatever JB hoped to get across, he did it incredibly poorly. To me, he sounds arrogant, self-centered, and ignorant -- whether he really is or not.

O-

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    But then I'm not Canadian.
    We forgive you.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Does anyone think he even knew who Anne Frank was before he went to the museum?

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    There is a shallow culture strain among teenagers like never before. The lack of common sense blows my mind.
    It seems like the shallow are getting shallower. Society can pretty much tell them what to do as long as they're told it's cool. Which reminds me of the girls who were going to cut themselves if Bieber didn't stop smoking weed. That being said, I do know there are very smart kids out there who do know better. I'm not saying all teens are this way, just a lot of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974;

Best part about the OP's link was getting to read this:

[url
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/27/us/anne-frank-letters/index.html?c=&page=1[/url]
    [QUOTE=attyfan;
    I never knew that Anne wanted to skate![/QUOTE]

Bless. I had the opportunity to visit the Anne Frank house - they have preserved the walls where she had cut out pictures of movie stars & pasted them to the wall. There was a picture of Sonja Henie. This will sound very dramatic, but I was brought to tears just looking at that wall.

vCash
    deleted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by La La Candy View Post
    Bless. I had the opportunity to visit the Anne Frank house - they have preserved the walls where she had cut out pictures of movie stars & pasted them to the wall. There was a picture of Sonja Henie. This will sound very dramatic, but I was brought to tears just looking at that wall.
    I don't think that sounds dramatic at all. I would have been sharing tissues with you.

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I don't think that sounds dramatic at all. I would have been sharing tissues with you.

O-
    I didn't expect to get as emotional as I did. I think part of it is that you actually climb up a small and steep staircase to get up to the annex...and then I just lost it when I saw that wall. It was an experience I'll never forget. Then on my way to the bathroom..lol..I saw a display of Shelly Winters academy award for her role in the Diary of Anne Frank. She donated it to the museum. First and only time I've ever seen an academy award up close. Very cool! And lightened my mood. If anyone is ever in Amsterdam they should visit the museum - the wait was long..over an hour...but it was worth it.

vCash
    I don't see it as he's a bad person for not taking Anne Frank's story seriously, I just think he's an idiot. Who writes things like that on a sign in book? But I have a low threshold of tolerance for people who consistently make everything about themselves. And he managed make the Anne Frank museum about himself?? Wow, that's amazing. I guess when you are a celebrity it can be difficult to keep perspective (not impossible though).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123