Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Maybe inside his head that was a way of saying he admires her to the point that he likes to think that she would have admired him back?.
    I vaguely know who Bieber is and wouldn't even recognize him or any of his songs, so I could hardly be more neutral towards him; this exactly how I interpreted his comment. I thought he had said something a lot worse than that when I saw some headlines about him making a comment about Anne Frank.

Of course he isn't mature yet, he's just 19 and I would guess that his occupation may very well make him mature in an uneven way (in other words, I'm not sure what he is doing is the most healthy way to grow up).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post

Best part about the OP's link was getting to read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/27/us/ann...html?c=&page=1
    Thank you so much for the link..........as well as your entire post. I really appreciated reading the article.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So, could it have been a ... joke?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It's really all about him, not Anne Frank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Well, given the number of his fans that tweeted they didn't know who Anne Frank was, perhaps it'll cause some of them to read out her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Well honestly, is anyone REALLY surprised by this? It's not worth getting upset over, considering that a good portion of his fan base would have the exact same lack of perspective on the gravity of the subject of WWII & the causes of the Holocaust. Most of them have little to no personal connection to it, so it is of lesser importance to them in terms of learning about it. I'm close to it, as I am Jewish, the granddaughter of a WWII vet, & my mother's entire family outside of her, her parents & sister were in occupied Norway, & it wasn't until 1945 that they had any news from them.

FYI - there is considerable outcry locally about a writing assignment asking students at an Albany NY high school to write a persuasive essay from the POV of the Nazis. I don't what the fuss is about that, either, considering that neither the students nor most of the people clutching their pearls over it have the requisite knowledge base to articulate in a scholarly manner what was in the minds of the people responsible for the rise of Nazism. One student who was interviewed said it would have made more sense to write from the Jewish POV - which illustrates whole point of the assignment IMO.

Best part about the OP's link was getting to read this:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/27/us/ann...html?c=&page=1
    Justin Bieber has a lot of growing up to do. His legion of fans need to learn about Anne Frank & the Holocaust. Karina, thanks so much for the links!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    So, could it have been a ... joke?
    A joke as in it didn't happen but the media reported it?

Or a joke as in a joking comment- in which case, to me, that is just as sickening as if he really meant it. I'm not sure the sign in at that house is the best place for a joke.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choupette View Post
    I vaguely know who Bieber is and wouldn't even recognize him or any of his songs, so I could hardly be more neutral towards him; this exactly how I interpreted his comment. I thought he had said something a lot worse than that when I saw some headlines about him making a comment about Anne Frank.

Of course he isn't mature yet, he's just 19 and I would guess that his occupation may very well make him mature in an uneven way (in other words, I'm not sure what he is doing is the most healthy way to grow up).
    Agree. Generations of teenagers who have learned about Anne Frank and read her diary have connected with her in their own ways, and I think Justin is no different. Here's what he actually said:

"Truly inspiring to be able to come here. Anne was a great girl. Hopefully she would have been a belieber."
    The CNN article equates this with the idea of Anne Frank becoming a "devoted fan" and one of the "adolescent and teen girls obsessed" with him. But from what I've read and seen in the past, Justin appreciates his fans very deeply and thinks that as a group they are great people - and therefore, he thinks Anne would have fit right in. He might have even been saying that he hoped he was as worthy of her admiration as she is of his.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    By the way, who was it on here recently who was saying what a great PR team Justin Bieber had? Scarlet for them.
    Might have been me around the time someone was accusing him of fathering their child and we had a thread about it. His management, legal and PR teams would have had a lot of involvement in deciding how to address the accusation, what course to take, developing statements, preparing him for interviews and monitoring the situation as it developed.

The PR team would have little to do with this though - sure they've trained him and counseled him quite a bit over the years, and might have even planned this visit to get some good press, but what he said in this case comes from him, and my bet is the PR team had no problem with it. PR people know that you can never win 100% approval because there will always be people who are against you no matter what you do. The only concern is when that percentage of those against starts to erode the percentage that is in favour - and in the case of politics, the all important middle ground - the people on the fence who could be swayed either way. For Justin, given that the people in favour - who likely found his comments touching and inspiring because they already like him - number in the tens of millions, and given that at this point the strategy would be to win over new fans musically, not personally, stories like this have little impact.

vCash
    I personally cannot wait until the names Bieber, Kardashian, Kanye, and others are nothing but a distant bad memory. Still, JB is a very popular celebrity whose visit to the Anne Frank museum has made big news. There's more good in this than bad.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    A joke as in it didn't happen but the media reported it?

Or a joke as in a joking comment- in which case, to me, that is just as sickening as if he really meant it. I'm not sure the sign in at that house is the best place for a joke.
    I meant as in maybe he was saying it with a wink.

And I think, from what I read of Anne, she wouldn't have wanted people to be all glum and solemn visiting her house. She wasn't like that when she was in the house herself in a much worse situation than most of us are in. Her friends and family said she liked to tell and hear jokes. So I think she would be more amused by Justin's comment than by yours that someone cracking a joke in her museum was sickening. I think the person who said this:

"'Despite everything, i believe people are really good at heart' - Anne Frank I think before everyone goes bashing Justin Bieber we should take a moment to think about these words and why Anne said them."
    got it right. And I think Jenny has a point too when she says:

He might have even been saying that he hoped he was as worthy of her admiration as she is of his.
    But I'm still not listening to his music!
    Last edited by MacMadame; 04-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I think all this is much ado about nothing. Bieber meant no disrespect I am sure, however, if it gets a few more people reading up on Anne Frank, WW2 and the holocaust, then something good would have come out of all this.

vCash
    I'm sure he didn't mean any disrespect, but it was still a thoughtless thing to do. He needs to learn that there are some things more important in this world than him and his own self-promotion.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Given that before she went into hiding, all sources suggest Anne Frank was a happy, giggly, pretty typical young tween/teen, had she been born now, yeah, she probably would be his demographic. Which, in the right context, would be a good thing to remember--she wasn't a saint, above such petty things, or even an especially GREAT writer unless it loses a lot in translation, she was an ordinary girl who was forced into hiding and eventually murdered for no other reason than her family happened to be Jewish. By virtue of her recording her experience and it surviving, she's a symbol for millions of other Jewish children and adolescents whose names were lost--ordinary kids like any other targeted for death because of the religion and culture. But overedge is right, it was a thoughtless way to put it that made it sound about HIM. I don't have the violent loathing for Bieber a lot of people do, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he meant no harm. Hopefully some of his rabid fans who don't know who Anne Frank was or why she matters will at least Google her now.

To the side story about the school assignment to write from the perspective of the Nazis, that would be a interesting assignment for, say, a university-level history or philosophy course, but I think it is most likely over the heads of most high schoolers and just asking for trouble.

vCash
    I just think this is another example of which there have been many lately of his youth and arrogance and having way too much money and fame and power too soon. I am a bit surprised as his mother seemed like a pretty grounded person but than again she seems a little sucked in by chasing fame for herself lately. Clearly it was a ridiculous thing to say but I doubt he was aware it was. He is surrounded by people, as most famous people are, who indulge his arrogant selfish behavior because they are probably too afraid to lose their jobs or upset him. Should he know better, sure. But I have seen it time and time again that young people who get famous very young often have little to no understanding of consequences of their behavior and being young are so self-involved by nature and are then indulged in that behavior. No one holds them accountable including their stans. Obviously there are examples of young people who have managed to navigate it successfully, but not many.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    No one holds them accountable including their stans.
    Their whats? (I figure it's a typo but I can't figure it out from context like I usually can so maybe it's some slang I'm not familiar.)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    stans are rabid fans like the song "stan" by eminem
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Oh.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I meant as in maybe he was saying it with a wink.

And I think, from what I read of Anne, she wouldn't have wanted people to be all glum and solemn visiting her house. She wasn't like that when she was in the house herself in a much worse situation than most of us are in. Her friends and family said she liked to tell and hear jokes. So I think she would be more amused by Justin's comment than by yours that someone cracking a joke in her museum was sickening. I think the person who said this:
    You have to remember that was Anne before the hideout was discovered by the Nazis and she and her family were shipped off to concentration camps to their deaths (excepting her father). Her final life experiences might have altered that outlook, don't you think?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think she would have been like the father in Life is Beautiful. I don't think people change their basic personality all that much even through life-altering events. But also isn't that what her surviving relatives have said? I figure they are most likely to know.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Might have been me around the time someone was accusing him of fathering their child and we had a thread about it. His management, legal and PR teams would have had a lot of involvement in deciding how to address the accusation, what course to take, developing statements, preparing him for interviews and monitoring the situation as it developed.

The PR team would have little to do with this though - sure they've trained him and counseled him quite a bit over the years, and might have even planned this visit to get some good press, but what he said in this case comes from him, and my bet is the PR team had no problem with it. PR people know that you can never win 100% approval because there will always be people who are against you no matter what you do. The only concern is when that percentage of those against starts to erode the percentage that is in favour - and in the case of politics, the all important middle ground - the people on the fence who could be swayed either way. For Justin, given that the people in favour - who likely found his comments touching and inspiring because they already like him - number in the tens of millions, and given that at this point the strategy would be to win over new fans musically, not personally, stories like this have little impact.
    Well, I was one of those people on the fence about him before and after the monkey incident, his disastrous tour of the UK and now this I think he sounds like an egotistical twat.

PR fail I'd say. But then I'm not Canadian.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    You know, at first I thought some of the inappropriateness of his remarks stemmed from the the plain ridiculousness of the word belieber. But if you change the word to fan - which is what it means- it shows more clearly, imo, how incredibly self centered he is.
    What would Jenny do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast